What Is It With People?

Business By karateka Updated 23 Oct 2006 , 3:21pm by RisqueBusiness

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 1:12am
post #1 of 14

I get so aggravated by people who call all excited, asking if I can do something, then you never hear from them again. What really aggravates me is that I have sent follow up emails and phone calls, sometimes leaving pricing info, sometimes emailing sketches of my ideas, and they simply don't answer. Why can't they just say "Oh, thanks, but we decided to go with someone else." Why is that so difficult?

Someone emailed asking about a 3D tiger face for a Bengal's fan. I emailed a pic of how it would be done, since she didn't want a sheet cake. Never heard back from her. My scary sweet 16....sketched and scanned an idea into the computer and emailed it to her after giving her pricing info....never heard back, even after I follow up called her.

I guess I was overpricing myself, but still.....why can't they just say they chose someone else? Yep!!! Whining. But it bugs me.

13 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #2 of 14

you should NEVER give your sketches out...those are YOUR ideas.

I have had brides, back when I did wedding cakes, take my designs and had other bakers ( family members ) do them.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:44am
post #3 of 14

Karateka - It would be nice if they would at least tell us 'It's out of my price range, I went with someone else'. But of course, it's awkward for them, too.

RisqueBusiness - I never thought of other people stealing my designs from sketches. I like to do sketches for my customers, it helps "hook" them. How do you proceed without them?

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:48am
post #4 of 14

how about if you have THEM come to you, in person, you talk about some ideas, and then they give you a big fat deposit to "hold" their idea? I think if they see there is a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit once your ideas are given out, they are much much less likely to cancel on you. You're dealing with THEIR money at this point.

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #5 of 14

If I was in a position to be sketching designs (don't have that kind of client base yet) I would not give them out. If I needed to give a price and had to do a rough sketch (for me) to calculate that would be one thing.

If after giving a client a price, they wanted to "see" what it would look like, I would charge a design consulation fee. Say.....$30.00. They could keep a copy of the sketch, with copyright info printed across it like a watermark, after I got the contract signed and secured a deposit.

But that is just my two cents! icon_wink.gif

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:05am
post #6 of 14

I don't mind doing sketches for people, but they do NOT get to keep them. I show them and they are my property, no one elses. I haven't had my ideas stolen yet. I also do not let people borrow my photos. If they want their mother or friend to see them, they must come with.

marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:10am
post #7 of 14

I would agree about not giving the sketches to potential customers unless a good faith deposit was received. If they're serious about working with you they shouldn't mind the deposit, or should understand not getting the sketch.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #8 of 14

I have had people pull similar stunts on me. They take up a lot of my time and then say they'll get back to me or can I hold the date while they think about it. I usually never hear from them again. This even happened with my husband's cousin. They wanted a high dollar cake free, I offered a very nice discount and then I found out from his mother that they can't afford my work. I still never heard back from them and they got married yesterday (the 21st).

I have even had people tell me that the colors would not look right in their scrapbooks because they weren't a perfect match to the napkins, plates, etc.!

Some people are just numb-skulls. At least you're not alone in your dealings with people. Apparently, it's a rampant problem.

Good luck.

Michele

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:20am
post #9 of 14

That's dumb about the matching for the scrapbooks. My mom made a big deal about everything in my wedding last year over how it would look in the pictures. I mean, I wanted decent pictures, but I wasn't basing the whole wedding on it. Give me a break!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:26am
post #10 of 14

Sketches are a really tricky area - all the cakes I do are my own design and the vast majority of my business takes place over email as clients are a too far away just to call by. So I email them sketches of my ideas. I haven't had, as far as I know, anyone use my sketch to get someone else to do the cake - but I can see it could be a problem. The sketches themselves take ages and I'm disappointed if someone decides not to go with me after I've worked on sketches. I can't see myself feeling comfortable with asking for money for sketches. What to do?

As for pepole deciding not to go with me. I generally email after about two weeks to ask if they've decided to continue with the order or not. I'm very pleasant about it explaining that I'm happy either way, wish them luck for their event and ask if they could just let me know so I can free up that date for another booking. They have always replied - even if it's just with a crappy 'Oh, I thought I'd told you...' At least I know!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:03am
post #11 of 14

I haven't had the sketch thing come up yet. But I did have someone ask if I could do the volkswagon car cake in my photos but like a jeep. I said yes. (it serves 6, small but still a 3-d cake)

She proceeded to tell me that she wanted it to give to the jeep dealership for doing the work on her car so cheap and giving her a great deal.

I told her it would be an expensive cake and she sounded very surprised so I asked her her budget. She said she didn't know. I told her to figure out her budget and call me back and I would let her know what I could do for that amount.

Haven't heard back about it. But what I want to know is who is going to give ME a present for giving HER a deal on a cake for the jeep dealership who gave her a deal, LOL?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:49am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscsgrrl

That's dumb about the matching for the scrapbooks. My mom made a big deal about everything in my wedding last year over how it would look in the pictures. I mean, I wanted decent pictures, but I wasn't basing the whole wedding on it. Give me a break!

I used to write a newspaper column on planning weddings and one column was entitled "No One Will Notice......" which included little things like:

..... if the little picture on your napkins is not the same as the picture on your invitation. If the ink on your wedding invitation was not in wedding colors (there's an extra charge for purple ink, instead of standard black ya know!). If the flowers at the reception are not exactly the same as the flowers in your bouquet. If the colors on your cake do not match the thread on the inside seam of your bridesmaids' dresses!

It was a little tongue-in-cheek so I could get the message across that they didnt' need to stress out over every single little tiny detail. I mean, it's ok to have strawberries on your menu even if your wedding colors do not include the color red!

God bless their hearts .... they're brides (or MOTHERS of brides!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:58am
post #13 of 14

I think I might have to start with the design fee. I'm not at all creative, so if I come up with a good idea, I'd like to keep it. I also had a woman asking about a cake for her daughter who is going into the navy. I sketched a tiered cake version and a sheet cake version, offering her different pricing options. Once I emailed the sketches I got an email saying the girls grandma wanted to make the cake and she couldn't say no. I was a little upset, but at least she told me.

Right now I've got a bride coming in to town who wants (another) tasting. I told her I'd have to make the cake ahead and freeze it since I have a wedding to do the weekend she's here. Of course, she hasn't let me know.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Karateka - It would be nice if they would at least tell us 'It's out of my price range, I went with someone else'. But of course, it's awkward for them, too.

RisqueBusiness - I never thought of other people stealing my designs from sketches. I like to do sketches for my customers, it helps "hook" them. How do you proceed without them?

there are some great suggestions on the thread already. I used to have them come in for an appointment, charge $25.00 and that went toward their cake if they ordered it that same DAY!! they also got a small "sample" cake..if they wanted it..basic flavors only.

They came in, I'd spend a few hours with them..get their ideas...drew something up that was agreed upon by both of us...I would then write up the order and staple everything together..Id' even ask for fabric swatches to try and match colors as best as I could.

I'd give them a WEEK to change their mind...nothing was refundable!! lol..if they were going to book me they had a WEEK to come back with money toward a deposit...( never take the consultation fee as "DEPOSIT"...) the 25.00 was taken off at the end..lol

If within a week they didn't come back, I'd assume the were not interesed and their date would no longer be available...I'd make sure to let them know that I only booked 2 weddings on Saturday and one on Sunday, that's what I felt I could do justice to...between baking and decorating and delivery and set up...so, if they wanted me to do their wedding cake...they needed to let me know within a week.

AND it wasn't MY job to chase them down....

I started this policy when I let someone tear out a page from one of my wilton books and gave them that along with my drawing...I never got the job and I never got my pages back..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%