Brush Striping A Cake?

Decorating By toneg24 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm by julzs71

toneg24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toneg24 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all, I have a question for all you talented cake masters out there. I have a bride that has requested a technique on her cake and she gave me a picture, which I have included, but I am not 100% sure on how to apply this technique. It appears to be brush stroking with a food paint. The cake will be chocolate brown in color and she wants the striping to be done in a gold tone. I am thinking pearl dust or shimmer dust?, but again I am not sure how to apply to give it that flowing appearance. The other trick is, she wants buttercream... can this be applied to crusted buttercream? Oh please help and I appreciate all input from everyone, you guys are awesome here.
Toni
LL

3 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 4

i am not sure if you can "brush" it like that onto buttercream...i know you could if the cake were fondant.....
if you are using buttercream you will most likely have to airbrush these strokes!!!!
Good luck.......hth

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure, but I think you can brush on crusted buttercream. I'd just make sure the paint is not too watery. Maybe some of the real experts out there can help.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 4

I have painted on buttercream before. you just have to make sure that you have it thinned out enough and that your cake is frosted. I would put it in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes before you paint. get a brush thats fanned out I can't remeber what number it is. Don't get the cheap ones in a package, they don't work as nice and shed alot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%