Chocolate Shapes

Decorating By ganache Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 2:47pm by Postal_Cakemaker

ganache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ganache Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,
I like to use a lot of chocolate shapes when decorating my cakes. I create them by cutting parchment paper into the required shapes, like square, triangle, rectangle, etc and spread melted chocolate over it and let cool till set. This works fine, but the one problem I have with this method is that the paper on which the chocolate is spread curves the slightest bit as it cools, giving the shapes a curved apprearance and not a flat look. Has anyone had this problem, if so how do I remedy it?
I would appreciate any suggestions.
ganache.

11 replies
randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 12

I had the same problem w/ the last tranfers I did. It was a big deal, I wa able to work around it, but I don't know what causes it or how to avoid it either

ganache Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 12

randipanda,
Thx for the reply! When I use these curved shaped to cover the sides of round cakes, the curvature is actually a good thing. But when I have to decorate the tops or the sides of square cakes, it becomes a huge problem. They stick out like a sore thumb.
I hope there is someone in these forums who has a solution.

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 12

Noone know how to fix this? Or are we the only ones who have this weird problem?

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 12

Putting it on acetate. I've done this before without a problem. icon_smile.gif

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 12

I'm not sure...do you let it dry too long maybe?? Here's a bump. Im sure someone can help youicon_smile.gif

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 12

Sounds like it is something to do with the heating and then cooling of the paper. What about if you made the parchment shape bigger than u need it, then tape it onto the worksurface or board, then just trim it up afterwards?
jenny

ganache Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 12

Thx for all the replies, guys!
Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes,
I was actually thinking about using acetate. But its pretty expensive to buy and I have only found it online. Is acetate reusable or is it use-and-throw thing? If its resuable does it give you that shiny finish each and everytime?
Also, are there any cheaper alternatives to acetate. There is this video online of Alice medrich making a chocolate genoise with Julia child. In that she mentions that plastic draining mats, used to drain glassware, found in hardware stores are a good alternative. Has anyone tried this?

isakov1,
I let the chocolate dry for as long as it needs. Is there a precise time that chocolate should dry for?

murf,
I heat the chocolate in the microwave. I only use candy melts or chocolate flavored bark. I don't use pure, tempered chocolate. Sometime I do tend to overheat it a bit.
I have never used large sheets of parchment to make shapes. But the next time I am thinking of taping it to the work surface and seeing how that goes.

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 12

I'm not to sure if there is a rule as to how long it needs to dry, I've never really had a problem (yet).....any chocolate experts out there.....???

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 12

Acetate isn't that expensive, at least I didn't think it was.

I get a shiny finish all the time. It's reusable too.

The one thing I've found it must be tempered correctly!!! If it's tempered right it'll turn out perfect every time!! thumbs_up.gif

ganache Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

Acetate isn't that expensive, at least I didn't think it was.

I get a shiny finish all the time. It's reusable too.

The one thing I've found it must be tempered correctly!!! If it's tempered right it'll turn out perfect every time!! thumbs_up.gif

If its reusable, I guess its affordable. Is it sold anywhere in a regular store, or are they only available online?

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12

an art store. I bought the thickest they had.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%