Stuck Her Finger In The Cake!

Decorating By i_heart_pastry Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm by AnneT

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 39

Just had to share this funny story. Let me preface it by saying that there are no bakeries in this area that do fondant, so many people around here have never seen a fondant cake. That being said...

I had some friends over for coffee & made a cake (below). One friend came in, sat down at the table and promptly stuck her finger through my cake! icon_surprised.gif She was so embarrassed - she didn't realize it was cake and thought it was some sort of centerpiece. She was touching it to see what it was made from. Of course we all had a good laugh, then she got the piece with the hole in it! What makes it even funnier, is that another person came in before her and did the same exact thing, but without making a hole in the cake. It looks like cake to me, but I guess you never know! icon_lol.gif

Bec
LL

38 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 39

Funny! I love your cake...........I can see why she didn't realize it was cake..........it's so beautiful and elegant!

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 39

That is funny, it is amazing what people DON'T know sometimes.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 39

Really pretty. Are there flowers stenciled with luster dust also or am I just seeing things?

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 39

Too funny, thanks for sharing.
Good Luck

great cake by the way!

i_heart_pastry Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

Really pretty. Are there flowers stenciled with also or am I just seeing things?

First I painted flowers with Super Pearl, then painted flowers with black petal dust (both mixed with vodka).

Thanks!

Bec

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 39

Where did you get the black petal dust?

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 39

Lovely cake, i can see y they couldnt see it was a cake, very well made.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 39

Love the cake. It is very pretty. How did you get the border sooo black and the flowers too. I am always looking for black that dark but mine is always this "greyish" tint to it.

Vicky

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 39

Very pretty cake!!

i_heart_pastry Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elserj

Where did you get the black petal dust?

The brand is Crystal Colors. I bought it at a cake supply shop, but Country Kitchen has it online. It's a bit more expensive, but it gives a really true, rich color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

How did you get the border sooo black and the flowers too.

All the fondant was white, painted with the black dust.

Bec icon_smile.gif [/quote]

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 39

Your cake looks lovely!

I had something similar happen to me. I made a chocolate cake with fruit (in gallery). A friend didn't believe it was cake and poked it - fruit went all over the floor!!! She then proceeded to pick up all the fruit and eat it!!!

Oh well ...!!!!!!

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 39

I was at a friend's wedding (and did not make the cake) but was admiring the work (very smooth bc) and another friend said "oh, that's not frosting, that's fondant, see..." and stuck her finger front and center in the top tier. I nearly ripped her arm off!!! she tried to smooth it back, but we all know how that didn't work!! AND THEN... later on AT THE SAME WEDDING, I am at my table and happened to glance over at the cake, and there was, yet, another person sticking her finger in the cake. bottom tier this time... she thought it was a dummy.
I have been to several weddings with the second lady, and whenever I make the cake, she has to stay 4 feet away!!!! (she happens to be a good friend, and is the queen of good manners... I don't know what possesed her to poke the cake!) icon_surprised.gif
your cake is beautiful by the way!! thumbs_up.gif

i_heart_pastry Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:47pm
post #14 of 39

SCS - I love that cake. I haven't used plastique yet, though I have a recipe on my "things to try" list - does it taste as good as it looks? I also love your communion cake - it's beautiful!

Bec

SCS Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 39

i_heart_pastry - Thank you!

It was my first time using chocolate plastique, so I was quite pleased! It does taste yummy too!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 39

such a shame that people stick their fingers in it...and come on if you really feel you must touch the cake...TOUCH THE BACK!!!!
your cake is lovely....i want to come over for coffee and cake!!!! hahahahahaha beautiful work!!!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 39

Wow! Your cake is gorgeous!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Where do you live and when can I sign up for classes???!!! icon_lol.gif

Kathi

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 39

Too funny!!! Your cake is so pretty!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #19 of 39

Funny story, beautiful cake.

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:51pm
post #20 of 39

Beautiful cake! I made a cake for a baby shower and it was a box with ribbons and all on the top everything out of fondant and had the same thing hapened to me, people thought it was just a decoration.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #21 of 39

That is too funny! I'd have loved to have seen the look on her face!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 39

Too funny!!! Glad I'm not the only one this happens to! During my mom's 50th birthday party about 5 years ago, guests started asking where the cake was! There were other desserts there, so I did a small 8" round (bevelled) covered in white fondant, with fondant pearls around the border, accented with lavender royal icing. I set it up in my sister's dining room with gumpaste flowers on and around it! They didn't believe it was the cake! Hmmmm... Wonder what they thought it was??? icon_confused.gif Ha-ha!.... Your cake is stunning, though! I love your design!!! icon_smile.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:38pm
post #23 of 39

What is chocolate plastique????? Sure will like to know, SCS your chocolate cake is gourgeous....

SCS Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 39

Chocolate plastique is a mixture of chocolate with glucose syrup which makes it malleable. I used the recipe from Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:29am
post #25 of 39

I agree, you have to wonder what people are thinking when they poke or touch a cake. dunce.gif That happened to me with my avatar pic cake when I had it on display in my work cafeteria. After I saw 2 women touch the flowers I had to put up a sign "Yes, everything is edible, please do NOT TOUCH" I could not believe that I had to put up a sign. icon_razz.gif sheesh... lol

I love the effect of the super pearl flowers. It gave an almost 3d look. Very creative and simple. thumbs_up.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

[First I painted flowers with , then painted flowers with black petal dust (both mixed with vodka).

Beautiful cake! Does the Fondant make your teeth black?

............Gotta get me some Vodka.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcindy

I have been to several weddings with the second lady, and whenever I make the cake, she has to stay 4 feet away!!!!

ROFLMAO -- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

THAT'S SOOOO GOOD!!!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:50am
post #28 of 39

That is funny - good thing you have a sense of humor!

I entered my first fair cake into my local fair two years ago and it was fondant with a fondant loopy bow (butterfly package cake in my gallery) any by the time I got to the fair to see it with my blue ribbon on it it had all kinds of holes poked in it! The butterfly and 1/2 of the loops of the loopy bow were broken too!

Debbie

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #29 of 39

Oh my lord. I guess it's a compliment, and I can understand if it's a gathering of close friends. But cakes at wedding or at the office or in a contest at the fair? Even before I was decorating, I would never be so bold as to touch it! How frustrating for the cake decorator and the person who requested or paid for the amazing cake!

I can't wait for the day when we have invisible forcefields, like on Star Trek, that can keep fingers out!

i_heart_pastry Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Beautiful cake! Does the Fondant make your teeth black?

Nope - the fondant itself was white, just the painted part was black & it didn't make anyone's teeth black (I actually checked my friends' teeth b/c I wasn't sure if it would!). icon_lol.gif

Bec

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%