Good Red Velvet Cake????

Baking By dtmc Updated 3 Nov 2007 , 5:36pm by flayvurdfun

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:12am
post #1 of 12

Anyone have a really good red velvet recipe? or one that is on here that is good. I have not ever made one before.

Thanks,

11 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:58am
post #2 of 12
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:05am
post #3 of 12

I use my grandma's recipe and it is pretty close to Sarah's red velvet here on this site, mine has a few variations though that my grandma's have made over the years.

dtmc Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, I was reading on other posts about the Sarahs red velvet cake. How about a doctored up cake mix recipe? Has anyone tried that method before with good results?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:22am
post #5 of 12

For a doctored red velvet, I use DH red velvet, with additional egg, small box of white chocolate pudding, Butavan, cocoa, buttermilk instead of the milk called for, + ingredients on box. It makes a very moist, yummy cake.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:47am
post #6 of 12

I've made Paula Deen's Red Velvet (recipe on Food Network, go to Paula's Home Cooking show for recipe). It's very buttery and good, but I only used 1 oz. of red food coloring and it was nice and red. I also made my own cream cheese frosting, yummy!

dtmc Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 12

Okay I just made a Chocolate-Red Velvet Cake from the magazine Southern Living. Here is the recipe.

1 cup butter, soft
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 8z sour cream
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 1oz. bottles red fool coloring

I made mine with 1 bottle of red coloring and it is very red. Now I have never made red velvet cake nor tried it before. So I tried this recipe and it was very easy to make/follow. I just tasted it and tastes good, but more like a cookie cake then a chocolate cake.

So my question now is. Is Red velvet cake supposed to be chocolatey???
or did this cake not come out as it should.

HELP!

Burgess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burgess Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 12

Better late than never, I guess--here's what I do and
everyone so far has loved it!! Apparently red velvet cake
is highly desired, but scarce. I use Duncan Hines Moist
Deluxe Red Velvet Cake Mix, follow box directions, and
add 1 more egg, 1 4-servings pkg of White Chocolate
instant pudding, and 1/2 cup of sour cream. Bake at
325, taking it out right before it's completely done. (Also
add a little more canola oil for even more moistness.)
Hope this helps.

Vickie

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 12

CAKE MIX DOCTOR!!!!! I've made her red velvet for years now & it comes out perfect every time. The bad thing about making one from scratch is the weather does affect it---kinda like RI. If you don't have the book or want the recipe I'd be glad to post it or pm it to you. I made one a few years ago for my dh's 30th & the ederly asked how I got such a perfect red velvet cake icon_biggrin.gif . To me that's a lot coming from little old women who have made them from scratch!

dtmc Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

CAKE MIX DOCTOR!!!!! I've made her red velvet for years now & it comes out perfect every time. The bad thing about making one from scratch is the weather does affect it---kinda like RI. If you don't have the book or want the recipe I'd be glad to post it or pm it to you. I made one a few years ago for my dh's 30th & the ederly asked how I got such a perfect red velvet cake icon_biggrin.gif . To me that's a lot coming from little old women who have made them from scratch!

I would love for you to send me the recipe. I'm always wanting to try new ways and see which one I love the most. You can post it here or pm me, either way is really appreciated. THANKS!!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #11 of 12

Quick Red Velvet Cake

1 pkg German Chocolate Cake Mix W/ Pudding
1 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 oz bottle Red Food Color
3 Lg Eggs
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour 2-- 9" cake pans.

Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 1 min. Stop & scrape down sides. Mix on medium for 2 to 3 min, until well blended. Divde batter into 2 pans & place in oven.

Bake until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger & they start to pull away from the sides--about 28-30 min. Remove from oven & cool on rack for 10 min. Run a dinner knife around each layer & invert onto rack. Allow to cool completely, about 30 min.

Store in a cake saver or covered in wax paper in the fridge for up to 1 week. Freeze wrapped in aluminum for up to 6 weeks. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. (of course this is w/ the cream cheese frosting)

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Nov 2007 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 12

I did in my recipe that is posted on here.... and by the way I have had my recipe asked for a lot....it comes from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel... my grandmother used to work there and it was her recipe used there..... and if you don't know about the Waldorf Astoria Hotel its a very classy hotel.... try it! Its easy too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%