Egads She Is In The Air Already!!

Lounge By Cakenicing4u Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:25am by Cakenicing4u

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:30am
post #1 of 12

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Just one of the reasons that I would not want to be an exchange student... she has already left the first country she is flying through to get to the USA. From THAILAND! They are 12 hours ahead of me in PA... and she's going to be in flight from about now till 10:40 pm thursday night! That's 28 hours in the air, icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif with 4 exchanges..... From Bangkok to Tokyo to Detroit to Minneapolis to Harrisburg and ME!

I am so excited I can hardly even think straight!! I encourage everyone to think about hosting an exchange student someday... they are some of the brightest, driven, intelligent young people you will ever meet!

Diana

11 replies
lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 12

What an awesome experience this will be for her AND you!! 28 hours! icon_eek.gif And I thought 8 to Hawaii was bad!

Cakenicing4u Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 12

Ya, I just talked to one of the other cordinators and she said that they had a girl from South Africa that arrived last night and had been awake for three days straight. They got her in the car and she immediately fell asleep! NO WONDER!! So would I!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:05am
post #4 of 12

wow that is so great! I got excited just reading your post! Wow, 28 hrs?!? I thought 20 was bad when I went to Australia(with one two stops).... Although it was fun on the way back I arrived in LA one hour before I left Sydney in the same day icon_lol.gif too bad I was to tired to enjoy it!

LOl I was so excited for you I forgot to finish my thoughts! I think that it is so great that you are doing this. I always wanted my parents to host when i was growing up and we never had a chance. Hopefully someday we will be able to do it though. Such a great opportunity for you and her. Do you have kids too?

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #5 of 12

Oh, how exciting. I have always wanted to do this. Please keep us posted on how this experience goes. I will look forward to your updates.

Cakenicing4u Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 12

well, she landed last night at 11pm, only a little behind schedule... and after we said our hellos and hugged and all, I said are you hungry or sleepy.... she said Sleepy... so we loaded up the car... my how much she brought with her!! Two xtra-heavy over the load limit suitcases and three carry bags, which of course they won't let her bring into the USA as carry on. icon_confused.gif As soon as we got in the car I had time to get out a question or two and then she was fast asleep! So far, nothing exciting, we unloaded her stuff and sent her to bed-- she's up and about now, I think she's having a hard time with the shower. icon_redface.gif my husband was supposed to replace the fixtures, but all he did was remove the hot handles. icon_redface.gif so we kjnow how to use it, but from the sounds of it, she may have taken a cold shower and thinks we live like cavemen icon_confused.gif husbands. icon_confused.gif We're off to the school for enrollment and breakfast. then some shopping and then it's off to work for me! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif stupid grocery store said that if I call off today for her, it's an unacceptable call off, and I'll be documented for it. I told them I would sign it. icon_evil.gif In ten years, not one unacceptable absence. So GO AHEAD. They proceeded to tell me that my talent was not an excuse for my behavior. icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif Down with my store. I'll show then what I can get done when I'm in this mood. thumbs_up.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 12

Such an exciting experience for both of you! I happy she arrived here safely. I hadn't clicked on this thread yet because I didn't know what "Egads" was! icon_redface.gif I'm assuming that is her name? icon_redface.gif

I'm sorry your boss is being such a dork! Stay positive and remember you are making a huge impact on a precious life!

Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

Sherri

Cakenicing4u Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #8 of 12

egads is just another way of saying "Oh my goodness!!"

And ya, my bosses have it coming to them. Now I'm mad and I will get my way on a few things... like lots of 4-days off in a row over the next three months. Dingbats. I have six vacation days left to use before the end of the year and they won't let me take one this week, OR next week, and the week I wanted in Seot before my student was planned-- well, that was denied too. They are running out of time to deny me. LOL... That's good for me--- more time for trips with Piyanun.

I can't have kids, and when I was 17 I was able to travel thru Europe for 31 memorable days, with two short term stays in England and Denmark. Ever since then, I've wanted to give back to the world. This was my chance (Again)

To host students, the ideas are this-- they have to have their own bed and you have to feed them. Your local school has to accept them. That's it. They don't have to have their own room, just their own bed. They have to have a way of getting to and from school. They can take the bus or walk, whatever your kids would do. They must pass an English Language test to even be in the program.... so out of a possible 60, Piyanun scored a 48. I can understnd her just fine, it just takes her longer to figure out what words to use. In school, they must take English and American History classes, and then just the classes that they would have had at home. I encourage all of you to check it out!

This is the program we are using, www.cci-exchange.com but you can also use EF foundation or AYUSA or CARE or SEA- whatever is local to you.

Diana

Cakenicing4u Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #9 of 12

She leaves in less than two weeks!! two more days of school, then she gets to fly back to Thailand! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

We had an amazing year, and we did 90% of the trips and activities that I had hoped to...

At the same time, I'm kinda ready to not be a mom again.... icon_redface.gif I'm tired of figuring out what's for dinner and what time to get everyone out and shower schedules and so on and so on.... And with two jobs and being away 60-80 hours a week... It has just been exhausting!

Once she is back home, I'm taking her room and making it my office-- I'm also now an exchange student representative looking to place students in my area-- and with my bosses decision to let me go at the end of the year has my wheels spinning about opening my own shop. I may be able to do it with some help from SCORE and my family... so we will see.

Never a dull moment!

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:27am
post #10 of 12

Wow!! Hard to believe it's been almost a year. I'm so glad that you got to do so much of what you had planned. But yes, I understand that your ready to take a break from being the mama, doesn't mean you won't miss her. What great memories you have given her to take home with her. Does she have internet access at home? Will you be able to stay in touch with emails?
I hope the next two weeks are great!

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 12

My husband was an exchange student and that is how we met! icon_lol.gif

Cakenicing4u Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #12 of 12

WOW!! The head guy of my group f CCI was an exchange student as well, from Egypt.... What a great experience these kids are-- they influence everyone they meet, and lol, some more than others!

Yeah, the next two weeks will be fun and heartbreaking... I know she is ready to get home to her family... but mine will miss her for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%