Omg Big Disaster !!!!!!

Decorating By doudoun Updated 22 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm by bbarnes

doudoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doudoun Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 25

Hello,

I make dummy cake with plaster with my pan, i put paper for no sticking but now it don't want get out of my pasn icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I have a cake expo, in 2 weeks and don't know what can i make icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Please help meeeeeee !!!

If you have a cake recipe who you are sure it stay good for 2 weeks please !!!! it's not for eating ! please doesn'e smell!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

24 replies
aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 25

Have you tried using styrofoam for your cake dummies? From what I've heard alot of people use it for dummies and seem to be happy with it.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 25

yes styro is the way to go. Very cheap and light as a feather. All my cakes for OSSAS were styro except sculpted.

doudoun Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 25

Hello,

We don't have styrfoam like yours in my country and it's too late to order now!!!

I really don't know what can i make icon_cry.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 25

make rice krispie squares and mold them in the pan...then let them harden and ice like a cake

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 25

Doudoun, search for a recipe for fruit cake... it is meant to sit out for weeks, months, etc. After it cools, wrap it in saran wrap like you would a dummy, then decorate, then after the show you can pull off the saran and still eat the cake. (But not if you put the icing right on it... it wouldn't be good after sitting out for weeks!) Good luck!

Edited to add: OH! Good idea w/the rice crispie treats too!!

doudoun Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 25

Thank you girl !

I want to find a cheaper recipe, because we don't eat the cake after!! so find a fuitcake recipe ! this one it's ok??

Basic Fruitcake

1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup currants
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons light rum
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
¼ cup un-sulfured molasses
2/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped pecans

What can i don't put to make it cheaper??? because after i good to the basket???

Thanks again girls ! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 25

Unfortunately fruit cake is VERY expensive to make... maybe the rice crispies would be a more cost effective option? Hope it works out for you!

doudoun Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:00am
post #9 of 25

And do you have tin for plaster??? what can i put on pan for doesn't stik??????

I don't have choice to make them in plaster!

I ahve minimum 20 cakes and i need to start them as soon as possible !
for rice i need a lot !!!! i work outside so the time is very short for me icon_cry.gif

Thank you very much !

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:11am
post #10 of 25

Out of curiousity, what country do you live in? Maybe there is someone familar with where you are?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:15am
post #11 of 25

if not cake, why not molded sugar?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:23am
post #12 of 25

Can you line your pans with wax paper? Even if the paper sticks to the plaster it should keep the plaster from sticking to your pans. You can always put the frosting over the paper if you can't get it to come off your plaster and no one will ever know.

What country are you from?

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:27am
post #13 of 25

how about using cardboard hat boxes? There must be some cheap ones you can buy.

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 5:31am
post #14 of 25

oh, I have also seen some dummies made from some builders stuff, it is like expanding foam from a tube - don't know what it is called. It is used to stuff out the hole between a doorframe and the wall.

doudoun Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 10:25am
post #15 of 25

Hello,

I am from france icon_wink.gif

i put wax paper before i put my plaster and it stick !!
I see on the web that i can put "savon" sorry i don't know the name in english (for washing hand)

i try today !! i am really stressed!

I think, the better for me it's if i can make it with plaster: i can start to decorate them when i come from my outside work !

I Approximative i have to make 20 -30 cakes so i need to start today ! for rice i need a lottttttttt a packet, sugar i am affraid it break ! so i have to find a easy cake who doesn't smell for 14 days or plaster !!!!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Today i try and try again with plaster ! i need to find something i can make in advance

Thanks a lot girls for your help

DOudoun

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 11:01am
post #16 of 25

I would think if you greased the pans first with LOTS of Crisco (solid vegetable grease) and then used the wax paper over it they would be less likely to stick. I suppose you could use butter as an alternative...or lard...or silicone spray. Anything to coat the pan well before putting in the wax paper. Try putting 2 layers of wax paper also. Good luck!!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:53pm
post #17 of 25

why not try cling film or some type of plastic in the tin first

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #18 of 25

Savon is soap, by the way.

Have you thought of a basic genoise? It shouldn't smell or anything after 2 weeks. It would not be edible, but it should still hold its shape.

Don't have any other suggestions....wish I did.

Hope that helps

Tim

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 1:20pm
post #19 of 25

Many years ago I took a sculpture class where we made several plaster sculptures. Here, interestingly enough, we call it "plaster of Paris". It has been 30 years ago, but if I remember correctly you are totally right with the liquid dish soap. Slather it on. I also have made plaster bats to work with ceramic clay on and never had a problem with it sticking. Are you letting it dry completely before you try to take it out? Good luck.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:36pm
post #20 of 25

why dont u let the plaster dry in a box, instead of a pan?

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm
post #21 of 25

See if this website has anything to offer for you. It's alternatives for using cake dummies.

Hope this help. Good Luck. icon_biggrin.gif

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/CAKEHINTS.htm

doudoun Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #22 of 25

IT S OK NOW icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I buy big styrfoam (1 meter x 0.60 meter ) 5 cm lar geur !
i make them with hot hot knive directely on fire and it work great ! i am so happy ! my brother help me to mùake them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now it's ok for all ! i am ging to make my pillow cake with styrfoam to !!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

I love thos forum

Doudoun thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #23 of 25

YAY!! Way to go! Now GET BUSY WITH ALL THOSE CAKES!!! No time to spare!! Good luck!!

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #24 of 25

Hi, sorry to hear about your dilema but I did some searching and found this link if you are going to work with plaster and it did say to use soap. Good luck and what a cool idea using plaster for a dummy.

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #25 of 25

Hi, sorry to hear about your dilema but I did some searching and found this link if you are going to work with plaster and it did say to use soap. Good luck and what a cool idea using plaster for a dummy. here is the link http://www.bigceramicstore.com/information/tip45.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%