Cake Decoarting Classes And Supply Stores In Los Angeles??

Decorating By roxanavmv Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm by auntginn

roxanavmv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxanavmv Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everybody. I am very new here on CC and I am browsing until my head spins each day, trying to swallow as much as my brain can take to improve my skills. But since I am spending more time reading, admiring, drooling and bookmarking everything, I am not practicing too much. That's why I want to take some classes, and I wanted to ask for your expert advise.
I live in West Los Angeles ( borderline with Santa Monica) and I wanted to know if you could recommend any classes for cake decorating. Should I start with the Wilton decorating classes at Michaels? I was thinking to start from bottom so no gaps would keep me away from improving. I know practicing is most important, so I want to get some good lessons about fondant, modeling, using royal icing, buttercream ( sorry to say, but i really dislike its taste, so I am much more attached to fondant), gum paste and so on.
Or do you know anybody who needs an intern or volunteer very much willing to learn from them??? Promise to give my best. Even if it would be for only a couple of hours a week or in weekends.....
And 2nd issue, besides ordering online, can you recommend any baking/decorating supply stores around LA?
Thank you so much for your help, it will be so appreciated.

3 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,roxanavmv!

Welcome to Cake Central! I've been a CCr for about a year now and I'm sure you will find this site helpful and addictive. I am originally from California but moved to Mississippi about six years ago. I am going to give you the best kept cake decorating secret in LA. There is a cake decoration supply warehouse in Gardena, Ca. called Parrish's Cake Supply. They are located at 225 W. 146th St. and the number is (310) 324-2253. You literally walk into the warehouse and shop. It's awesome! It was one of our cake decorating class fieldtrips for the intermediate class. I'm not sure about classes in your area but I lived in Norwalk and attended the Norwalk-LaMirada Adult Education Center where I took beginning, intermediate and advance cake decorating. I also took I, II, II Wilton classes. Check out some of the area cake supply stores they will usuallly offer classes as well. Good luck and make sure to check out Parrish's!

roxanavmv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxanavmv Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I didn't think somebody will see this. I'll start looking for the cake decorating classes and I'll sign up for the Wilton one anyway, I definitely need the basics. And I'll try to make it to Gradena as soon as I have the time for it.
Thank you so much.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 4

Hi roxanavmv,
Here's a class closer to you than parrish or norwalk.
In culver city there's a cake supply store called Gloria's Cake and Candy, I took their course many years ago and it was wonderful. Everyone who works there is v...e...r...y helpful and of course from time to time I still go in and ask the instructor for help and she is still as helpful. Their tel no. is 310 391 4557 Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%