Carmel Filling

Decorating By jpdesserts Updated 19 Jul 2005 , 8:57pm by aunt-judy

jpdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpdesserts Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 8

I have a baby shower cake for 100 to do for next weekend. The mom to be loves carmel but I have yet to find a carmel filling that works. Any tips on filling recipes would be wonderful! Thanks to everyone in advance

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 8

I just buy the regular caramel that they sell for dipping apples and stuff...I mix it in with my buttercream and it is yummy! Start with a medium to medium thick consistency buttercream icing because it does thin the icing down a bit! It can be used for icing and for a filling!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 8

I have used carmel ice cream topping mixed with powdered sugar to make it thicker. It is really yummy and will help make a moist cake.
I will suggest a really good BC dam around the edge of your cake to keep it in there.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 8

I think Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker makes a caramel frosting you could use as a filling.

jpdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpdesserts Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips! I have thought of using the ice cream topper but thought it would be too thin. never would have thought about adding bc to it. Thanks again!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 8

you could try dulce de leche, which you can find ready-made in jars or make your own using sweetened condensed milk (directions can be found in my cheesecake brownie recipe recently posted). it's quite firm when cold, but softens up, but is not anywhere near as thin and runny as ice-cream topping caramel sauce. it's very economical if you make it yourself (you can use a generic store brand), and has a wonderful depth of flavour (it DOESN"T taste like butterscotch, which a lot of commericial caramel products tend to). you could definitely mix it up with buttercream. whatever caramel you use to mix in with your buttercream, you might want to pour it in a random stream, and then barely mix it up, leaving the buttercream very streaky so that you have chewy ribbons of caramel throughout the filling. thumbs_up.gif yum!

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 8

That sounds really yummy. Do you think I could do the same thing with like a hot fudge ice cream topping? I mean mix it with butter Cream?

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 8

hot fudge? sure, but let it cool down first, or you'll melt your buttercream. anything you're adding to buttercream should be room temperature or colder. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%