Do Certain Brands Of Pasteurized Ew Whip/not Whip Up?

Decorating By ceshell Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm by brandiandedgar

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I've posted numerous times about how I've never had a problem getting pasteurized egg whites to whip up to stiff peaks, even though the box always SPECIFICALLY states that they do NOT whip up for meringues. Still, I use them for IMBC all of the time with no issue.

Well today indeed I had a heckuva time getting them to whip that far. Soft peaks took quite a while and even so, only after switching my hand mixer attachment from "mixer" to "whisk" (the KA was in use for the batter). As for the stiff peaks called for in the recipe, well I think I got 99% of the way after about 10-15 min before I decided "good enough" since they were for batter and not icing.

Definitely no grease on the kitchen tools...but this is the first time I ever used All Whites brand. I've used several other brands with no issues. I'm nervous because I was going to use the other half of the box of EW for IMBC. I would assume my icing won't be stable if I don't manage to get real, bonafide stiff peaks out of this stuff so I wonder if I should just chuck it and buy another brand.

I'd love to hear all pasteurized EW users chime in: which brands have you used and which worked, which did not work?

Thanks!

6 replies
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #2 of 7

Anyone? Bueller?? Bueller??

Sorry, just a bump, since only 4 people have viewed.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:59am
post #3 of 7

As far as i know that's the only brand that doesn't put other junk into their egg whites around me.

I always had trouble with them, even with a KA. It's just the pasteurizing kinda messing with the make-up of the egg whites making hard for them to froth. I don't think you can get around it.

I use to use the powdered egg whites and i had the exact same problem as the fresh egg white cartons.

ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:19am
post #4 of 7

I wonder if certain manufacturers just do things differently...? Every carton I've ever seen does say they won't whip up, however I've used several other brands that, in fact, do. So it's definitely interesting to see that this brand didn't work for you either.

However I have used powdered and have never had a problem (and in contrast THAT packaging does specifically say that they WILL whip to meringue.) Hm, another mystery for you icon_smile.gif.

brandiandedgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiandedgar Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

One Tip my grandma always gave me was to make sure your bowl and beaters are cold and to use a copper bowl ... something about a chemical reaction. Sorry don't know about which EW's to use icon_smile.gif

Brandi

ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiandedgar

One Tip my grandma always gave me was to make sure your bowl and beaters are cold and to use a copper bowl ... something about a chemical reaction. Sorry don't know about which EW's to use icon_smile.gif

That is really interesting, I've never heard that! Although I didn't have a problem getting stiff peaks when I redid it with fresh egg whites so I don't think it was the equipment this time around.

I'm confused now though - sometimes I hear use cold equipment, other times they say make sure everything is room temp?

brandiandedgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiandedgar Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 7

I use a cold cooper bowl for both fresh whip cream and egg whites and it seems to work every time. I have never tried a room temp bowl

Brandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%