Who Really Eats Gumpaste?

Decorating By jenlg Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 3:52am by Steady2Hands

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 27

Hello everyone, I know I'm a rookie in all of this....I''ve been taking the Wilton classes and am currently in the fondant/gumpaste class. I have the 3rd class to go through and that's it. My question is....do people usually eat the gumpaste decorations from the cakes? My instructor said not usually both others said they do. What do you think? By the way...I love everyone's cakes!!!

Jen icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 27

uuuuhhhh, I would say no. Unless it is a child or your dog LOL! Fondant decorations on the other hand...maybe. Gumpaste dries so hard. Right now I am picturing an old lady chomping down on a big ole' gumpaste flower LOL LOL LOL!

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 27

Yep, children eat them but that's about it. I made my son a graduation cake this week for his leaving preschool (they had this mini graduation ceremony so even though he's only 5 he's all excited about "graduating") and it had a little model of him in cap & gown. Nursery saved the model & in car on the way home we heard a smacking noise. I turned around and there was Connor's 2 year old sister happily chomping away on Connor's head. She'd decapitated him & ate the whole thing, saying it was "Yummy!" icon_lol.gif

The model is no more icon_lol.gif :
LL

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 27

No, although food safe they are meant just to look at and save. I did however make a cake with royal icing lillies that had artificial stamens in them. Some guy ate one, liked it, and ate the rest of them! There were like 20 on this cake! These things are made of plastic for God's sake! I'm glad the cake was for some emt's just in case he would have choked, what a dork! icon_lol.gif

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 27

oh my gosh I am cracking up over the last two stories. that is too funny.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 27

lol. i sent a fondant cake to work with dh once and everyone complained that the fondant was ''too chewy and tasted weird''....

uh... der? most people don't EAT the fondant, and i can't imagine anyone ever eating gumpaste, wtf....

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 27

My 2 year old cant keep her hands off the stuff! She is constantly asking for a piece when Im making flowers. She will even eat the corners of the cake dummies Ive made just so she can have some! She made my square cake dummy into an octogon!!!
Dog loved it. 3 year old cant stand it.

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:15am
post #8 of 27

Deffinately not my cup of tea but a few weeks ago I was making 80 pea in the pod cupcakes with the pods and the pea's being gp. I was doing them for a favor for a cousins wife and we had an asembly line going. If one pea slipped out of my hand people were grabbing them to pop them in their mouth. I was finally like "look! this stuff is expensive wait til I finish and I will give you the leftovers!@ icon_mad.gif "

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:21am
post #9 of 27

My almost 2 yr old eats it !!! Normally gp decorations are just that - decorations !! I don't let anyone eat my flowers etc after all the time & effort I put into them !!! icon_biggrin.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #10 of 27

I figured as much...thanks for all the stories...I can imagine the looks on faces while reading them. There are people in my class that like the gumpaste while making the flowers but not after the fact. My daughter loves the gumpaste too. Thanks everyone!!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #11 of 27

Well, there is a difference between gum paste and fondant (some call sugar paste). The right fondant is good as an edible surface/decoration. Many prefer marshmallow fondant or satin ice thumbs_up.gif . As long as it is not the Wilton (ick) tapedshut.gif . Gum paste is more for strength and look rather than eating.

Aika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aika Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:29am
post #12 of 27

what's wrong about wilton fondant?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aika

what's wrong about wilton fondant?

It tastes horrible.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 27

If you have ever eaten an Altoid mint (the curiously strong mint) or Necco Wafer candies, you have eaten gumpaste. Same ingredients. Having said that, I tell people the gumpaste decorations are ornamental only and to remove them from the cake before serving. They can save them as momentos if they want by keeping them away from moisture and sunlight. But they are hard as a rock, only taste sweet, have a ton of petal or luster dust on them and with the flowers I make the majority have wired petals. So I don't recommend eating them.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #15 of 27

ha ha....these stories are cracking me up! I don't really use gumpaste, but have wanted to learn! Maybe I'll give it a try!

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #16 of 27

I agree -- I wouldn't eat gumpaste. Everyone eats the fondant on the cakes I make though, esp if it is MMF or SatinIce. I HATE the taste of Wilton's!

Aika Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:15am
post #17 of 27

is it really taste that bad? icon_surprised.gif hiks,..i just bought 3 packs of wilton rolled fondant,.. icon_redface.gif since my daughter birthday is coming soon,i try to make barbie doll cake for her's birthday,..aaaaa, icon_cry.gif what should i do with my fondant?

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:54am
post #18 of 27

Don't throw away the fondant! I'm new at all this too and I've only used the Wilton kind. I've heard it has the best consistancy, so it's one of the easiest to work with. Just put it on your cake as usual with the layer of buttercream underneath, then when your eating the cake just pull the fondant off! icon_biggrin.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #19 of 27

yes, wilton fondant is very easy to work with and i find it the easiest to learn with. when i get better, i'll switch to mmf or something, for now everyone either eats it and deals with it, or they peel it off.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 27

Use the Wilton to practice with. Cover a cake dummy with it or use it to cover your cake boards to match the design of your cake. But dont throw it away.
I wouldnt spend money on fondant to have it just peeled off because of the taste. Either switch to a better brand or make your own. Satin Ice is just as easy to work with and a whole lot better tasting. Its just a shame to go through all the trouble of making something just to see it go in the trash.

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #21 of 27

Aika, that's just my preference -- you might like it! (A few people have eaten it off the cakes I made during the Wilton classes!). And as others have mentioned, it is easy to work with and practice with. But in the future you might want to try making your own or buying from other vendors : ) Good luck on your daughter's cake!

Aika Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #22 of 27

if i only use a half amount of 1 paks rolled-fondant,can i keep the rest in refridgerator or i have to keep it on room temperature? BTW,is rolled-fondant doesn`t have expired date? cause i didn`t find it on my rolled-fondant`s paks,..

thank you every one for the advise,....

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:56pm
post #23 of 27

Wow, I guess I need to shop around more. I only used wilton up until now, and thought that the love it/hate it debate went to fondant in general, not down to the brand level. For my next fondant cake, I'll order some satin ice and see how that works.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:25am
post #24 of 27

Well, in a pinch I used the Wilton fondant-but I improved the flavor the second time (I've used it 2x). I have co-workers that give me supplies as holiday or birthday gifts and sometimes that includes fondant. I keep a box to practice some of the things I see in this website. Straight out of the box, though it tastes very unpleasant tapedshut.gif . I've had people describe it to me as chewy soap. detective.gif

If you choose to keep and not return the unused boxes, I recomend getting some flavoring. And get a good MMF recipe. thumbs_up.gif

Aika Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:41am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Well, in a pinch I used the Wilton fondant-but I improved the flavor the second time (I've used it 2x). I have co-workers that give me supplies as holiday or birthday gifts and sometimes that includes fondant. I keep a box to practice some of the things I see in this website. Straight out of the box, though it tastes very unpleasant tapedshut.gif . I've had people describe it to me as chewy soap. detective.gif

If you choose to keep and not return the unused boxes, I recomend getting some flavoring. And get a good MMF recipe. thumbs_up.gif

i wish i can return the unused boxes icon_sad.gif since i lived in japan,it`s very hard to me to find fondant so i ordered fondant from ebay,..hiks..

if i already open the fondant from the box,should i keep the fondant on refridgerator so i can use it for practice in another time?cause i heard that rolled-fondant very easy to dry on room temperature,am i wrong?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:01am
post #26 of 27

you can always save the wilton and use it for figurines or borders etc; and use the better tasting fondants for cake covering etc.

hth

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:52am
post #27 of 27

I've been making gumpaste roses for the last 2 weeks for my Aunt's anniversary cake this evening. The other day I broke one and so out of curiousity (to see how awful they tasted) I tried one. It was actually pretty good (Nick Lodge's recipe).

Then tonight at the anniversary party people were wanting to eat them. I even had a lady tell me they were so good as she and her grandson were eating a rosebud. ~LOL

I'll post pics in the morning thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%