Cake Shaped Like A Two

Decorating By amodeoandrea Updated 24 Nov 2014 , 9:51pm by HoneyBunns85

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:56am
post #1 of 16

I know I have seen them on here before, but I can't find any now. I need to make a cake shaped like a 2. Do I need a special pan or should I just carve a sheet cake.

15 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 1:58am
post #2 of 16

HTH
LL

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #3 of 16

That pattern page is pretty neat!! I've never seen one before....when I did a 50th bday cake, I just carved the 5 and the 0 out of a sheet cake. It was really unstable when I tried to move it though, so I would suggest a pound cake recipe. My numbers were pretty skinny and I placed them on top of a sheet cake, so that may have been my problem! I carve when the cake is frozen...works really well.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #4 of 16

I have done a number 2 and it is posted under my photos.... it was one of our first cakes so not the most professional looking, I am pleased to say we have come along way since then.

That particular one was carved but all the numbers that I have done since then I always use the number pans.... so much easier, no carving necessary and they look perfect every time. I hire the number pans from the local cake lady as they are not worth buying.

hope that helps.

karen

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:25am
post #5 of 16

Boy Doug you sure have everything! Thanks for the chart!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:29am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn4881

Boy Doug you sure have everything! Thanks for the chart!

packrat!!!!! (learned from the best -- aka mom!...it's all her fault!)

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #7 of 16

Probably giving away my secret here cuz I'm currently watching the auction on ebay and if no one else bids, I plan to (but the opening bid is so high, I don't want to pay any more than it is right now). But in the spirit of friendship, I'll tell you that often on ebay there is a pan called the Educated Cake pan. It's basically a sheet pan with a bunch of 1" square inserts. You arrange the inserts so that the open space makes the number or letter you need. I think that is totally cool and really want one, but the bidding keeps going too high,..... (actually it's not so much the bid, but the shipping price that keeps me from bidding)

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #8 of 16

I'm the same way Doug i just don't have anything useful lol!

amodeoandrea Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 16

Oh My gosh! Thanks for all of the replies! I will use that pattern Doug. Thank you!

nydeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydeco Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 16

Could you do it as a cupcake cake ?? It would be alot easier then trying to cut the peices.

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:15am
post #11 of 16

I have done a few number cakes and I have cut the number out myself and also used the number pan. It is soooo much easier to use the number pan. The cake is more stable and lots less crumbs to deal with when icing lmao!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:51am
post #12 of 16

I've used the #2 carving pattern from Doug and it was so easy. It turned out great. To see just go to my photos.

Good luck.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:54am
post #13 of 16

Here's mine. I'm sorry, but I take the easy way out every chance I get. I cut a piece of parchment for my pattern. I torted and frosted between the layers of a 12x18 (not the top or sides). Then I froze the cake for a while. I layed my #2 pattern on top and secured it with a litte buttercream and then cut with a sharp knife. So easy. Also, while it's still frozen, go ahead and crumb coat the cut areas. HTH.
LL
LL

amodeoandrea Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:56am
post #14 of 16

Thanks a bunch! That looks much easier.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:54am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME2

Probably giving away my secret here cuz I'm currently watching the auction on ebay and if no one else bids, I plan to (but the opening bid is so high, I don't want to pay any more than it is right now). But in the spirit of friendship, I'll tell you that often on ebay there is a pan called the Educated Cake pan. It's basically a sheet pan with a bunch of 1" square inserts. You arrange the inserts so that the open space makes the number or letter you need. I think that is totally cool and really want one, but the bidding keeps going too high,..... (actually it's not so much the bid, but the shipping price that keeps me from bidding)

I just ordered 2 of these for 9.99 at this web site someone posted..

Fante's Kitchen Wares Shop
1006 S. 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147-4798
1-800-44-FANTE (Tue-Fri 9-5 Eastern Time)
E-mail: [email protected]

HoneyBunns85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoneyBunns85 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:51pm
post #16 of 16

A[quote name="cassandrascakes" url="/t/47479/cake-shaped-like-a-two#post_452112"]Here's mine. I'm sorry, but I take the easy way out every chance I get. I cut a piece of parchment for my pattern. I torted and frosted between the layers of a 12x18 (not the top or sides). Then I froze the cake for a while. I layed my #2 pattern on top and secured it with a litte buttercream and then cut with a sharp knife. So easy. Also, while it's still frozen, go ahead and crumb coat the cut areas. HTH. [URL=http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/3/3b/3bec938d_edited2_181.jpeg]LL [/URL] [URL=http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/b/bc/bcf1dad1_resized2_125.jpeg]LL [/URL][/quote what size pan did you use

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%