Buttercream Mums

Decorating By TMM2001 Updated 21 Oct 2006 , 2:37am by roosterroses

TMM2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMM2001 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 12:17am
post #1 of 6

I want to make some mums for a cake this weekend. I don't want them out of royal icing, so my question is how do I get the buttercream mums off the flower nail onto the cake? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #2 of 6

You can use a flower lifter (like you would for a rose). If you do it on wax paper on your flower nail, take the the flower off with the wax paper and make a whole buch and stick them in the freezer. Once frozen, you can quickly pick them up with your hands and place them on the cake.

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:11am
post #3 of 6

I airdry mine on wax paper and then place them by hand on the cake.

TMM2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMM2001 Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies that helped a bunch. After I posted my question I guess I had a lightbulb moment because I made some and decided to freeze them. icon_redface.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #5 of 6

I use a very sharp paring knife and slide it under the flower either right away or after it dries a little. Then I can slip it on to the cake where I need it.

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #6 of 6

Great advice given from all.... one other thing you may want to watch for, though, is when you take the mums out of the freezer, you may want to unwrap them (or take them out of their container) and put them in the fridge for a bit. If you get condensation on them when going from the freezer right to the cake, the color can bleed onto the cake.... just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%