What Was Your Wedding Cake Like?

Decorating By BabyC1985 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm by kpargola

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:02am
post #1 of 98

I'm getting married in 4 months! and I'm in love with so many cakes and i cant pick one! How did you choose your cake? Where you happy with it or would you change it if you could do it again. I need help. Please!!

97 replies
sed2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sed2007 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:42am
post #2 of 98

Congradulations. I just got married on Saturday.

I wanted something simple.And I new I did not want fodant. (I just do not like the taste and did not want then to spend there time on something that I new a lot of people where not going to eat.) My cake was four round tiers made of two different cakes one white with stawberry filling and the other chocolate with buttercream filling.There was a flower topper with flowers cascading down the side. It had some scroll work along the top of the layers. I was very happy with my cake.

I was very happy with my cake it turned out beautiful. I did find out that after the fact my cake topper (I had a bride and groom cake toppper sitting on the side.) fell and took out the side of my my cake. I had not idea hey fixed it just fine.

Here is a photo of it.
LL

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:48am
post #3 of 98

I've been married a looong time but when I did get married I had a 3 tier cheesecake wedding cake. My husband does not really care for really sweet bc so this was an alternative that everyone loved. It was simple and it was ivory instead of white but it was great!

*SED2007, your cake was just lovely.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 98

Sed2007 your cake was lovely. Very elegant!!!!

I have been married for 18 years, and to tell you the truth, my cake wasn't anything special, I can't even remember what it looked like, or tasted like. (isn't that a shame?)

Makes me wish now that I knew more back then. I didn't have a choice of many to choose from, and it was all part of the facility package. (HOW DUMB OF ME)! tapedshut.gif

No worries though, we are planning a BIG 25 anniversary with a renewal, and reception the whole thing. This time it will be much more memorable. So I may be picking a lot of brains to get my perfect cake you guys. icon_rolleyes.gif

That's why I put so much into designing and producing ALL of my cakes for everyone I make them for. I know you all feel the same way. Either do it with everything you have or don't do it at all. That is my new saying!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 98

I hardly remember my wedding cake! At the time, I just didn't care what the thing looked like...I wanted it to taste good. We got all our cakes for office birthdays at a local bakery, so that's where I went. I checked some photos, and the cake was pretty under-whelming...I could do a whole lot better myself! Back then, I hadn't been bitten by the cake decorating bug. That didn't happen until I had kids.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 98

I got married almost 8 yrs ago. My cake was quite ugly, though at the time I honestly didn't care. I was 19 yrs old and still in college and my parents were forking out the cash for everything (and by everything, I mean new house furniture, my vehicle, EVERYTHING), so I tried to go as cheap as possible (and make everything as convenient as I could for them). SO...my cake came from....WalMart (gasp!) In a very rural area like mine, it was my best option (that, or food lion). Do I regret it....no. Did I even have time at the reception to eat it...no. So, other than the fact that in my pictures I have big, gaudy orange BC roses, with a ceramic teddy bear topper (YIKES) it was all good icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 98

First off, Sedd2007, if you're typing on CC and you just got married Saturday, girl, you're hooked on this site!! LOL
Second, I want to dig up my wedding photos now because I also can't remember what mine looked like, but I did find it in a Wilton cake book 30 years ago! It was looking through that book that I got hooked on decorating, but didn't pursue it for a couple of years. As for my cake, they delivered it but forgot the top layer and topper. They brought it finally, but was I ever upset!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 98

I got married 3 yrs ago and my sister and dd did my cake, It was all white cake w/bc icing and decorated w/ silk flowers here is a picture of it. I thought that it was really beautiful. They both did a good job on it. They are not professionals and have not had any classes.They just love doing it.
LL

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 98

I got married about eight years ago and was not into cakes then...could have cared less what it looked like! However, I still do love the design. My dress had lots of pearls (the only decoration on my dress) so for my cake, I just did white dots on white, with strands of pearls around the base and a small real floral topper. Sometimes I think, the design was so simple, I could have done that!

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 98

I got married 6 years ago, about a year before I started doing cakes myself. My husband's aunt had worked in a bakery for several years and offered to do the cake for us for free. I was sooooo disappointed when I saw the cake on my wedding day. icon_sad.gif I didn't even recognize it. Technically, I suppose it was the cake that I had picked out, but she left out so many small details that were on the original cake, and I had asked for just the slightest hint of color in the flowers and leaves and what I got was very bright colors. I wanted to cry. icon_cry.gif

So, now I keep that feeling in mind every time I make a cake for someone. I want to make sure that they have a good experience and aren't left feeling the way that I did. icon_rolleyes.gif

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 98

I have been married just over a year. All we really wanted was something that tasted good. Of course we wanted it to look nice but taste a texture were top of the list. We went to 15 bakeries, got to take samples home and sat tasting and going over prices.
Looking back on it now I wish we wouldn't have spent so time choosing; neither one of us remembers what our cake tasted like on the day of our wedding, since we only got to eat the piece we smashed.

Good luck and congratulations!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 98

We were on a tight budget (I think, including my dress we spent about $1000 for 40 guests), and I was going to try to make my own cake but then I found someone at Kroger who would make my cake. It was simple and only cost me $40. I wish I could thank the woman who made it because I know she went to a lot of extra work and didn't have to do it at all (they don't do wedding cakes). I know that a lot of people on this site would never have done it for that much but it meant a lot that I was able to get a pretty cake. It also tasted really good, everyone raved about it.
LL

Incognito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Incognito Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 98

I got married in December and my cake was a 3 tier chocolate mud cake. Tasted soo good, we were eating cake for a month though, we only used half the bottom tier!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:33pm
post #14 of 98

Still can't remember what my cake looked like but I do remember on our first anniversary taking the top layer out of the freezer only to throw it away since back then you could smoke at the reception and the cake tasted like a pack of cigarettes!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 98

WOW Incognito-that cake was REALLY cool!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 98

My fist marrriage was 47 years ago, and now that I look back that was the neatest cake I have ever seen ....... Picture the Liberty Bell.... in the stand and free standing.... her husband make the stand, and this cake was HUGE... She has passed away now, but I would just LOVE to pick her brain as to how she did it........ She showed me a gazillion pictures, and I didn't really care WHAT she did... just get me a cake... ( I was very young, and not "into" cakes then)..... She said she had an idea for a free standing "wedding bell" that she had never made and was DYING to try..... would I mind if she did it for my wedding..... "Heck no..... do your own thing"....... She only charged me for the ingredients and the cost of the stand, because it was an "experiment"....... $ 90.00......... I left all those pictures with my EX..... sighhhh....... It was all white with blue flowers cascading down from the top.... they covered almost an entire side....... I can't even IMAGINE the work she put into it.......It looked like it would swing and start chimming at any moment........ I don't think I even sent her a note afterwards.... ahhhh....... the STUPID young !!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 98

Gorgeous cake Incognito! Definately my style - I really don't care for froo-froo cakes, which (and please no-one shoot me!), I find most buttercream cakes look like to me.

Dawncurby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawncurby Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 98

Hi,
Well, I have also been married for 18years ( well in Dec. it will be and have 6 kids..lol). I don't have a pic of my cake, but it was 3 tiers with the 12 & 10 stacked seperated with an 8 on top. Since I got married the week before Christmas my cake was all white and around the cake had a green vine with pionsetta's and between the 10 and the 8 there was white roses. I loved my cake and it tasted just as good. My flowers were also Christmas, we had the poinsetta's, red and white roses and holly berries as accents. Good luck with your wedding and I hope that it's all you want it to be.

Dawn

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:46pm
post #19 of 98

I got married this past March in Hawaii and had my reception back home in Virginia in May, so I wanted my cake to be kinda tropical but elegant. A local woman who baked cakes from home made my cake. It was a square 3-tier cake of 16", 12" and 8". It was all hummingbird with a banana filling and cream cheese frosting with fresh cymbidium orchids that I had shipped from Hawaii. Since my husband and I dated for 8 years and no one thought we'd ever get married, we did a whimsical cake topper. It was absolutely the moistest and most delicious cake we all had ever tasted. I'm still trying to get her recipe icon_biggrin.gif . Anyway, we still had half the bottom tier left over but had no problems getting family to take some and I can't wait until next March when I can defrost and eat the top tier!
LL

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:55pm
post #20 of 98

Thanks everyone, your cakes are all lovely. Im just finding it so hard. Every time i look at a cake i want it, because i work with cakes its hard to stop looking. I want a stacked one, and cupcakes and mini ones but i know i cant have it all (Want match or i would!!!!!) We are having a big wedding with losts of £££££££ spent, 380 guests looking at my cake! so I want my cake to be WOW. And to top it all the manager of our wedding venue hinted to me he is looking for a new cake maker. So thats making it harder!!!!!! Thank You

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm
post #21 of 98

My wedding cake was the ugliest cake I have ever seen.

I wanted to cry when I picked it up, but I figured it was too late to do anything about it, so I just took it home and set it up and pretended not to be crushed.

At the time I had a 2 year old and worked full time, so I had a lot on my mind. I have no memory of what design I picked out from "the book" the lady showed me, I just know that whatever I picked out wasn't gaudy and ugly.

It was 1994 so you don't see this kind of cake much any more. icon_smile.gif This is the only picture that exists of it as far as I know.
LL

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:35pm
post #22 of 98

I'll bet Jon loved that one. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

We were on a tight budget (I think, including my dress we spent about $1000 for 40 guests), and I was going to try to make my own cake but then I found someone at Kroger who would make my cake. It was simple and only cost me $40. I wish I could thank the woman who made it because I know she went to a lot of extra work and didn't have to do it at all (they don't do wedding cakes). I know that a lot of people on this site would never have done it for that much but it meant a lot that I was able to get a pretty cake. It also tasted really good, everyone raved about it.

I love your $40. cake! I've done exactly what the lady at Kroger did for you. I can usually read people really well,(in other words, don't even start shoveling the poo and expect me to swallow.. icon_wink.gif ) and I've had a handful that I've done similar things for. I want them to have the sweet memories of looking at pictures and seeing a little something I was able to do to make their day special.

Compensation comes in more than just money. I've got a couple of brides from years back that still remember I did the cake under special circumstances and mention it when they see me. I love the hugs!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #24 of 98

Mine was a 3 tiered white fondant with purple gumpaste roses and swags. I wanted more color to it, but I guess I didn't really make that clear to her.
I lived in College Station at the time (A&M), and everyone there goes to the same person. She was featured in Southern Living Magazine, so I was expecting her to have this nice little shop. But, we drove through the country for about 30 minutes (as if College Station isn't deep enough in the country for you), and when we arrived, she had some land with 2 trailers on it. One for living in, and the other for cake making! We went inside, and there was just a counch, a coffee table, and TONS of decorated dummies. She was baking that day, in fact she only did her consultations when she baked, because she liked to give her potential customers the scraps. When I left, she took me over to pet her llamas!
It's so funny, because this woman is unbelievable. She did the official cake for the George Bush Library, which was a big deal and was published in THE magazine for us Southerners. I so wish I had been interested in decorating at the time, because I could have learned so much from her (she had offered me a job, but I turned her down because I was only interested in becoming a veterinarian). I always worry about having a nice store front, and then my mind travels to her, and I think of everything she accomplished in that teeny tiny space.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:50pm
post #25 of 98

My Wedding cake was gorgeous, made by Hansen's in Beverly Hills and they delivered it to the reception in San Juan Capistrano about 2 1/2 hours away. My sis paid for it and the delivery.

It was 4 stacked tiers, bsketweave sides, full floral multicolor flowers on top of each layer piped in buttercream, moist vanilla cake with mocha chip filling...it was awesome.

Only 1 glitch...the bakery didnot tell me that all the piped florals were on cakeboard atop each tier...remember smiling for the pictures while trying to get the knife to cut through the buttercream flowers and pressing sopo hard that the whole cake table was swaying....somehow no disaster but the wait staff must of figured out the problem and came and took over the cutting!!!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #26 of 98

We were married last year. Vegas Baby Vegas! We didn't have a cake icon_surprised.gif
Our anniversary is September 9th and we are going to Vegas again to celebrate. Perhaps I will make a little anniversary tier and bring it with me on the plane? I guess being a cake decorator I need a cake huh?

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:56pm
post #27 of 98

I've read all the posts and so far, I'm the only one who had cupcakes for her wedding cake. I will be married 3 years on September 4th and I really didn't want a tiered wedding cake because what I really wanted was a huge dessert buffet. I ordered 100 cupcakes (they were HUGE and beautifully decorated with colorful BC flowers) and an 8 inch cake top for my husband and I to cut for picutres; it was delicious, chocolate with white chocolate mousse filling. The cupcakes were arranged on a 3 tiered cake stand with the 8 inch on top. Just what I wanted... along with the other mini desserts.

It was perfect. I'm sad the man went out of business because I wanted to order a small cake for my 1st anniversary... that cake was sooo good. Oh well. I guess I'll have to try to make it myself someday.

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:04pm
post #28 of 98

We were married almost 14 years ago in Antiqua, West Indies. We had a small wedding cake after the ceremony that was a spice cake. It was a simple cake and fine. The thing that got us were the "bells" on the top of the cake were two white styrofoam coffee cups wired together. We made sure we got a picture of that!! Too funny!!!

We had a huge reception when we got back. That one had 5 cakes. All different flavors with all different fillings and fresh stargazer lilies.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #29 of 98

I got married 33 years ago. Our wedding cake came from the Safeway grocery store bakery and I thought it was very pretty. It was 3 tiers all separated by pillars and had blue roses. Everything else was white. The pillars had swans on them. I guess it was a very traditional style cake for the 70's. Anyway, we were happy with it but it doesn't compare with the many different designs you see today.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #30 of 98

I've loved reading the stories and seeing the pictures on this thread. icon_smile.gif I too had a grocery store cake...went to safeway, but actually liked their cakes at the time. Mine was 3 cakes, stair stepped (not stacked). It was ivory (the color of my dress) and navy, which were also the colors of our wedding. They even did navy roses for me because I asked for it (not knowing that they usually stick to "real" rose colors?) Anyway, the person at that safeway bakery had no clue about the pricing, so when asked, we were told something like $360 if they provided the stands (which was open ended, so of course I asked how much if WE provided the stands) and they said $80!!! My mom went to another Safeway close to her house and they told her it would still be $320 even if we provided the stands, so she quickly gave me her ATM card and sent me back to the original store. icon_smile.gif I was really pleased with it, each layer was white with different fillings...I remember STrawberry for one, can't remember the other and Lemon for the top. I was pleased with it...but never would have thought about getting one of the ones that we've seen on here. icon_smile.gif Besides, we got married quick (about a month and a half of planning) and my parents were generous enough to pay for almost everything, so I WAS NOT GOING TO BE A BRIDEZILLA! icon_smile.gif I had the best day, and remember it fondly. icon_smile.gif Good luck to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%