Melting Roses...

Decorating By hmarie_73 Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 3:00am by shebellas

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I have been practicing my roses using a trick I learned from ofther CCer's (Hershey Kisses)...It works great! However, this weekend I decided I would do a bunch a buttercream roses, freeze them and that way I would have them on hand. The first 6 turn out perfect, but then slowly after that they start to get soupier (is that a word?) and smooshier (Again...not a word!) I believe it is from the heat of my hand melting the buttercream...does anyone have the same problem and if so what is the solution? If I was using RI instead of BC would this make a difference?

BTW-My first attempt at roses can be found in my pics on the Tinkerbell Cake.

TIA

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 6

The heat of your hand will melt both icings. What can help is to use two bags, and a cooling spot. you can put the unused one in the fridge. I use a piece of blue ice and a lunch cooler. Make a flower, switch the bags. Then the one you are using won't have the opportunity to melt.

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

It is probably the heat of your hands. In the winter I can usually get by , but in the summer the buttercream is usually on the edge of melting anyways, so the heat tranfer puts it over the edge more often than not.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

I have the same problem, very hot hands. I have to pipe a few at a time. But I will have to try JoAnnB's suggestion. I will try anything that will make the process more effective and time efficient.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

I also have this problem-heaters instead of hands. I was filling a bowl with ice water and putting a cookie sheet over it. Then I would put whatever bag I wasn't using on it to let it firm up. This was working but then I tried the same thing, only using a 9" round cake pan and placing it directly in the ice water. This worked MUCH better, I used it not just for the frosting for my roses but also for my basketweave:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=898693

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=898743

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #6 of 6

I also suffer from heaters for hands...I work with 2 bags usually and place the one I'm not using on the blue ice packets. Or since my kitchen is so small I will often just keep putting them in the fridge because its only 2 steps away from my table...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%