Help! Buttercream Is Kickin' My Butt!

Decorating By AuntieElle Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 2:31pm by AuntieElle

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 6

What am I doing wrong here? I crumb coated, waited a bit and then iced. It looks like someone stepped in it! I smooth one area and hen another place looks terrible. I am just about ready to throw my hands up! Sending out a smoke signal! I am using Shirley tip to heat you spat works great for a few seconds and then I screw something else up. Water is screwing up the consistency of the icing so I don't like to use that. I do have some viva paper towels. I guess that's my next attempt! TIA for help!

Elle

5 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

AuntieElle,

Try the crusting buttercream recipe on this site then use Melvira's smoothing method of using a foam paint roller to smooth the icing. It works like a charm everytime!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 6

Another good tip if you are using a NON crusting BC is to put it in the fridge for a little while till it gets firm and then use a spatula that you dip in boiling water.

GL!
Courtney

AuntieElle Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thaks you guys! I have somewhat conquered one of the cakes! I don't think I was getting my spat hot enough! For my first real attempt at getting it smooth I think I did a pretty good job. I used a recent cake by AlanaHodgson for inspiration. Mine is no where near as good as hers but. . .That's what practice is for! Thanks for the tips! It's in my photos, Betty's cake!

Elle

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #5 of 6

I never had any luck with the hot spatula, just couldn't get the hang of it and it always cooled too quickly. My first attempt is in my gallery, it's the hyacinth cake. Not too long after that I read about the viva method and oooohhhhh so cool! I viva all my cakes now icon_biggrin.gif

AuntieElle Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 6

Your Hyacinth cake was muuuuuch better than my first attempt at smooth buttercream. My first one was awful! I threw on some designs and called itt quits on that one. I am going to keep plugging, it's gotta get better!

Elle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%