Need Advise On Hummingbird Cake

Decorating By momg9 Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm by franchesca

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a full sheet with half of it being a hummingbird cake. I've never made one before. Has anyone ever done the one in the Cake Doctor Book? I've noticed that all the recipes use a cream cheese frosting. Has anyone ever made one and used buttercream frosting? If using the cream cheese frosting, does it have to be refrigerated? If so, How long can it stay out? The other half will be a yellow cake. Will cream cheese frosting go well with that? Thanks for all your help.

6 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 7

Momg9,

Try adding an 8 oz. cube of cream cheese per batch of buttercream. It should work well for both cakes. thumbs_up.gif

momg9 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

If using cream cheese will it have to be refrigerated? Has anyone tasted one with buttercream only and if so did it taste good?

momg9 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

If using cream cheese will it have to be refrigerated? Has anyone tasted one with buttercream only and if so did it taste good?

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

I usually refrigerate all cakes with filling or cream cheese to be on the safe side. I have never tried a hummingbird cake with plain buttercream. Sorry.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

made a humming bird cake for a last week. I had butter cream frosting and a cream cheese filling. The pieces I cut off, I ate with chocolate butter cream frosing for a snack with my tea. All were very good.

franchesca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franchesca Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 7

I have used the cake doctor recipe for Hummingbird cake as well as a one from scratch. They tend to be very moist, the restarant I sell cakes to likes this one but usually orders a layer cake. I think that cream cheese is probably best but does not need to be left out more that about two hours as a rule of thumb unless the room is very cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%