3D Darth Vader Done!

Decorating By jammadave Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 11:12am by Tilomilo

jammadave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammadave Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

OK - so, third "production cake" down - I'm just going to have to stop counting my first cake ever, since it was a practice for my first production cake and was nearly identical (the NES)...

This one was for my girlfriend's 28th birthday. I used Justin's (rockstarcakes) PDF file as the inspiration, but once I read it I just left it here at work. In hindsight I would have gotten a couple of the details more accurate if I had kept that with me. All I had to look at were a Lego minifigure (about 1.5" tall) and a photoshopped picture where my girl had put DV's head on her ex-husband in their wedding photo. (She has an unhealthy attachment to Darth Vader, shall we say =0) ) - And I was never a big SW fan myself, so I wasn't intimately familiar with all the cuts and angles on the mask.

At any rate, I think my cake turned out pretty good. The details were not quite as perfect on the mask as Justin's, but mine looked a little more "eeeee-vil" I think. And this one was huge - Six 9" rounds stacked, bigger than my head.

Note: the rear flare of the helmet was intended to be fondant, but I basically ran out of time, and just used the glossy black posterboard that I was going to use underneath the fondant anyway.

Here's a "done" pic, and a link to the whole process. My digicam is dead again and I can't find the battery charger, my apologies for the pics from my phone. (Some other partygoers got real pics, though, I'll have those soon I hope)

Link: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/jammadave/DVcake/

Edit: posted image was huge and made the post hard to read, attaching a smaller one.

Please note: as I carved, and later pieced the fondant together, I realized that the same cake could have easily become a skull, or a ninja (there's definitely some Scorpion/Sub-Zero happening there for a moment...) so feel free to be inspired!

Cheers!
Dave
LL

8 replies
Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 9

Wow. It looks great.Well done Dave thumbs_up.gif

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 9

That looks amazing. WELL DONE!! thumbs_up.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 9

Awesome job! My son wants me to make this for him. I hope mine looks as good as yours!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #5 of 9

Wow!!!! Awesome job!

Courtney

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #6 of 9

AWESOME!! I made sure to go add it to my faves! My son and husband are going to be fighting for this one! Thanks for sharing your photo-steps and all...I think I'll be needing them!!

ps...I have lots of Star Wars stuff all over my house and I thought your light saber was just like one of the toy ones we have around here....in other words...great job there too!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

awesome cake!.....thanks for the "in progress" pictures also.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 9

Brilliant cake, a friend of mine would love this thumbs_up.gif

Tilomilo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilomilo Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 11:12am
post #9 of 9

A[RIGHT]Hi, I was following your link to look at the tutorial photos but it's password protected, I was hoping you would provide this please :) thank you [/RIGHT]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%