Sign On Cake Question

Decorating By alysmom09 Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 12:12pm by LittleLinda

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a way to make a sign for a cake (ie Happy Birthday Jane) on paper and then "mount" it on the cake. I want to type something out for a cake, but I don't want to do an edible image. I have TERRIBLE handwriting and don't want to ruin another cake with it. I was thinking about priniting it out, putting it on like cakeboard, and then cutting and placing it on the cake. What do you think?? Anyone tried anything like this? Any input is absolutely welcome!!! Thanks!!!!!

4 replies
Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

I am always hesitant to put something non edible on the tops of my cakes.... instead perhaps you could be a buttercream transfer (where you would print the letters in reverse, cover them with plastic, and pipe over them with buttercream then freeze, remove and place on the cake) or maybe you could cut the letters out of fondant or gum paste and place them on the cake. Also with paper on buttercream (if that is what you are using) the paper will become soaked with grease and the the color will change.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 5

Years ago I wanted to write something on a cake, but didn't want to do all the writing in icing. I printed my message out on paper, placed it on a larger piece of colored cardstock, then I covered it in contact paper so that it wouldn't get greasy.
LL

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 5

oh great idea, love that

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 5

You can buy laminating plastic in the stationery aisle of most stores. I use it a lot for covering pictures to put on a cake like this one:
Hint, don't cut right up to the edges of the paper, leave a small sealed edge, because the grease can get in the sides if you cut right up to the edge:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=720663

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%