Why Do We Keep Buying Wilton???

Decorating By mthiberge Updated 21 Oct 2006 , 9:52am by wgoat5

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 52

So after reading the wilton sculptor set thread (JUNK!!) icon_mad.gif , and we all know play doh tastes better than wilton fondant (YUCK!!) tapedshut.gif Why do we keep supporting this company?? It's not because they're cheap, if their products cost less I guess we could forgive them for the odd crapy gadget...And as a Canadian you can't order from THEIR website, they bounce you off to Golda's kitchen (with is a good site by the way, www.goldaskitchen.com) but she doesn't carry anywhere near all their products. icon_confused.gif It's easy enough to run out and buy wilton products at any OVER priced UNDER stocked Micheal's store mind you... icon_evil.gif
Maybe we should all send our sculptor sets back to them at the same time, do you think they would notice, or care?? And we should all write them a short e-mail asking them why they can't make a better tasting fondant for my 32$, surely they have the technology...SIGH...

51 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 52

Maybe thats why Wilton doesn't sell from their own website, if they did they'd have to deal with the rejects!

Personally, I don't buy Wilton unless I just can't avoid it, and even then only at half price! I don't even buy their books because at least half of the book is advertising for their products!

I think the consumer, especially those of us here, are getting smart and adapting lots of other products to do what we need. Janice

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 52

My guess is exposure. Everyone here has heard of Wilton. Possibly the other suppliers have not gone to the extent Wilton has, to push their products. I had never heard of AmeriColor until I joined CC. I think it is up to us to spread the word, loudly and clearly. There are much better products but, at this time, Wilton has the best method of advertising, and the biggest, even if unhappy, following. The "cake" is in our court! icon_biggrin.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 52

Believe it or not, I had e-mailed Wilton about their lousy tasting fondant, andif they improved the flavor they would sell more.....they said they would forward my comments to the respective department....

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 52

I believe that there was a similar discussion on here before about something very similar. It is my understanding that Wilton was started as a way for the home based decorators to learn the art of cake decorating. They targeted and, continue to market to, the amateur home baker.
In my opionion Wilton is a learning type of company that has probably given over 90% of the home bakers their introduction into the world of cake decorating. Once you learn, with their materials and tools, you can further advance to other brands at your own discretion. As a company, they focus on brand loyalty. How many of you have taken those Wilton courses and really learned something new and sparked an urge to learn more? I know that happened for me, but you have to take it all in stride and keep things in perspective.

Yes, you don't like some of their tools, or the taste of their fondant, but you know how to better handle fondant and whatyou would like a better icing sculptor to do now. What other company has mass marketed and made learning cake decorating as available or widespread?

Just my thoughts on the subjects, please no angry replies! icon_redface.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 52

I have been buying from a cake dec place and we got into a discussion about fondant. I was telling her I wanted to try the mmf and asked her if I should just buy Wilton. She said go with mmf and have fun. She personally has called Wilton and talked about the fondant and their response was that they sell TONS of it. If your product is selling, why change right? She also said Wilton fondant is very easy to wrok with so if you are a beginner, then sometimes that is best to get started with. I on the other hand, wanted something CHEAP(mmf) so that if it did not work, I could pitch it and not think I had just wasted $$$$$. Since the 1st time, I have loved mmf and will not change. I have not tried to cover anything other than cookies so that will be the real test.

And I agree, Wilton is great for beginners like myself. Once you feel confident, you can move onto other things. And Wilton makes it look less intimidating to beginners.

And I do love their character pans for my kiddos, which is basically what I do now--home stuff.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 52

I agree. Wilton gave most of us our start and their products are more available than most. I can go to Michales, AC Moore, iParty and get Wilton stuff. (I hate paying shipping). I dont live near any "real" Cake Decorating stores.

Before I found CC, Wilton was all I knew. I am now learning about the other companies. I was about to buy that cake sculptor set from Wilton, but thanks to CC I didn't waste my money. The more time I spend on CC, the more I learn that Wilton stuff sucks.

Unfortunately I will keep buying Wilton with my 40% off coupons from Michaels and AC Moore because its almost 1/2 off and easy access. I'll buy tips, pans and tools but def not colors or fondant - unless its for practice and going in the trash!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 52

but isn't it like that with most things? The mass marketed stuff that everyone knows about usually isn't the best?

Like Strollers - Gracos galore, but sorry, they suck... The ones that are great and handle well and can be pushed with one finger you can't find in 90% of the stores.

Same with baby carriers - Bjorn and Snugli sucks so people stop babywearing, but there are GREAT ones out there that you can easily carry a toddler for hours (I can carry my 30 lber for hours in a comfy carrier)

I would "dare" to say same with Mixers. People buy KAs all the time, but I heard over and over again how the motors burn out. There are other less publicized mixers that don't have that problem with heavier loads. Of course, you can't even compare these to Black and Decker! LOL Imagine trying to mix ANYTHING heavier than a cake batter with that! LOL

Stores carry them because they sell and companies don't change their stuff because they sell. I bet 90% of the stuff they sell gets used for one or two cakes and that's it as most people don't make these things more often than that. They try to make a fondant cake, can't do it and then move on...

So now... who to buy instead of Wilton I want to know? Just learned of Americolor, but other things?

Melissa

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 52

I feel the same way. Wilton gave me my start, but there comes a point where you outgrow them.

Besides, don't they have the best tips? I tried another brand and they were terrible.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 52

I agree with kisha311. I have several wilton products that I love. I can get them at reasonable prices (some of them) and try them. I have learned a lot from the Wilton books and gotten may idea's from their yearbooks. Plus Wilton is the brand that are stocked in most of my local stores. People just have different preference and what works for one of us may not work for all of us.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 52

For the most part, I agree with you guys. However, in my area, the understocked Michael's, AC Moore's and Wal-Marts are the only sources of cake decorating supplies that I know of. And yes, they are all sellers of Wilton. If I knew of other choices I would probably use them, but since I don't, I'm stuck. If you hear of any others in the Raleigh/Durham area please let me know.

PS: Can/Should the Wilton Shimmer Dust be used the same way as Luster dust?

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 52

Personally I will still buy Wilton and don't want to bash them too harshly--there are good products and not so good products. For me--the home baker and I will let friends order from me for birthdays and such--little stuff. Heck if they supply the ingredients, I will do it for free since I am begining and this is FUN for me(just don't tell them that!). Wilton is affordable. Sure better stuff out there online BUT the shipping KILLS. I am buying Americolor nowadays since it is cheaper and less messy then Wilton at the local cake store.

Btw--I love my Graco strollers(have 4 different ones: jogger, double and single strollers and a simple umbrella stroller). I will spend $$ on good stuff, but will NOT go nuts and buy a $400 stroller.

And my KA is wonderful!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 52

I like Satin Ice fondant. I still use Wilton colored fondant for figures that won't be eaten. Someone in my cake club had said the Wilton is better for sculpting figures, and who wants to make red or black fondant? icon_sad.gif

I agree though that Wilton is a good product for what it's intended for....the home-baker that makes 3 birthday cakes a year for their family. It's easily accessible and relatively inexpensive when you have a coupon. I love the disposable bags, tips, flower nails, etc. Like with any product and any company, not everything will please every person. Thank goodness we're in America where we can speak freely about our opinions! I've also stayed away from buying some Wilton products because of bad reviews and appreciate the heads-up! I think in all fairness though, you have to put it in perspective. My uncle has an auto body shop and says that Windex is the worst glass cleaner on the market. When that's your specialty and you use the product every day, you'll typically find something better than what's on a retail store shelf for the average consumer's occasional use.

Just my opinion, not trying to offend anyone at all! icon_biggrin.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

No!!! icon_eek.gif I already fell for that!! icon_cry.gif Don't waste your money, it wil NEVER work as the luster dust, I honestly haven't found a use to it (maybe cookies but I'm not even sure). Thankfully I bought it on a 50% offer, but don't waste your time or money with it I don't think is worthy.

berryblondeboys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 52

I think it all depends on what people think money should be spent on. I use my stroller daily and plan to for a total of 3 years, so I think it is somethng worth spend $400 on (or more) as convenience and comfort are really important to me.

On the other hand, I don't like to spend a lot of money on baby clothes because my kids are TALL and grow super fast, so I don't buy anything new unless it is like double marked down at the store.

I shouldn't have picked on KA, because they cant' compare to a cheapo, but you get what you pay for - buy cheap in mixers and you get cheap.

I never skimp on ingredients in food because you CAN taste the difference - especially things like dairy products and eggs. But things like canned tomatoes? I buy the generics as they all taste the same to me! LOL

Melissa

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 52

Wilton definitely serves a purpose - they have gotten many of us into cake decorating. I am not interested in bashing them - the products I hear bad things about, I avoid. I buy other products, also. If, and when, I outgrow them I'll move on to other things.

MsTonya - so what does your uncle use for cleaning glass?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 52

I have a lot of Wilton products that I love and a few that I hate. But most of the things I like.

As far as the fondant goes, I have to admit it is the best to work with. It's easy to roll out and while the taste is bad I happen to think that 90% of all fondant tastes bad.

I think if I did a cake for anyone in my family and it used fondant I may use the Wilton one because it is cheep and NO ONE eats it. We all pick it off.

I love Wilton's tips and throw away bags.

I think that until someone is going to move on to bigger and fancier cakes Wilton is fine.

Wilton is WONDERFUL for those just starting out. I mean why buy all kinds of costly items when you don't even know if you will stick with the decorating.

Now that being said, I will NOT use my Wilton Tilting Cake stand, the Wilton torting thing ( the little wire that cuts through cakes) or a few other items now that I found much better items that are sold. But I did use them until I found better things.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 52

Wilton does sell from there website-The Wilton Store.

I actually like many of the wilton products, but I also shop a ton of other vendors. Just because one product really sucks does not make them bad. I have had super customer service with them.

They also bring a ton of talent to there main school. Nick Lodge, Colette etc.

Another thing is that you can get there stuff with 40% off coupons at the craft store.

If I am doing figure molding which I know is not going to be eaten I would rather use 40% off wilton fondant than my Satin Ice-No one is going to eat a 3D bear!

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 52

I can't stand fondant period. I made my own once and will never do that again. I have found most people hate fondant, so they just take that layer off then eat the cake. I hate the chewiness of it.

I love Wilton icing. It is my fav. I don't have time (most of the time) to mix up frosting, so I use theirs. Of course I don't charge for my cakes and do them for fun. So for those that charge, it may be different.

I love their tips, icing, yearbooks and piping bags, Hate their fondant!!

I have yet to try Americolor (just heard about them today icon_wink.gif ) Will have to order and try it out. icon_smile.gif

I just bought Wilton shimmer dust last night for some fondant pumpkins. Now I am scared. LOL I don't have another cake store to run too, so I will have to try it out. **fingers crossed they look somewhat decent

berryblondeboys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #20 of 52

[quote= I think in all fairness though, you have to put it in perspective. My uncle has an auto body shop and says that Windex is the worst glass cleaner on the market. When that's your specialty and you use the product every day, you'll typically find something better than what's on a retail store shelf for the average consumer's occasional use.

Just my opinion, not trying to offend anyone at all! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

That is SOOOOO true. So often you are completely satisfied with something until you learn of how much better it can be. I was completely satisfied with a store bought pesto until I made my own - now there is no going back. Actually, I think I buy maybe one or two premade food items as they are never as good as homemade.

Now, I have to know, what's a good window cleaner. My MIL swears on newspaper and vinegar, but I cannot get the residue off our windows that were installed a YEAR ago now! LOL

Melissa

MsTonyasCakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:10pm
post #21 of 52

I have no idea what he actually uses. It's some kind of foam glass cleaner in an aerosol can. you can't get it in a retail store, he orders it from a supplier. I know it has ammonia in it 'cause it stinks to high heaven! I'll see if I can find out the name of it and let ya know.

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 52

The best window cleaner is........ Hire someone to do it for you. icon_wink.gif I think I finally have DH convinced to hire it out. There is no way he will climb out on the first floor roof to clean the windows on the second story. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, I would love to hear what to use too. With 3 little ones, my windows need cleaning daily. (the 2yo likes to clean them with baby wipes--LOL)

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 52

I have to say I had great customer service with wilton...when I bought the professional cake stand (not the tilting one) and it was wobbly and didnt turn well...I emailed them and they sent me a brand new one...which works fabulous....so far most of their products work just great for me....but I am just one of those home bakers doing this for my family.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 52

I am totally guilty of Wilton bashing at one time, but then I realized that Wilton was the one who gave me my start at cake decorating. I also realized that the products that I bashed was not the product or Wilton's fault but mine for using it incorrectly. I am greatful to Wilton for getting me interested in this wonderful business, and I have even become a WMI myself to share my love of cake decorating with others.

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

For the most part, I agree with you guys. However, in my area, the understocked Michael's, AC Moore's and Wal-Marts are the only sources of cake decorating supplies that I know of. And yes, they are all sellers of Wilton. If I knew of other choices I would probably use them, but since I don't, I'm stuck. If you hear of any others in the Raleigh/Durham area please let me know.

You're not stuck! Order online. I have a nice cake decorating store 5 minutes away from my house, and I still order online.

MsTonyasCakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #26 of 52

I just talked to my uncle's secretary, she said they order the glass cleaner from a company called Crest Products. She said they only service the automotive industry and I wouldn't be able to get it on my own. She did say though, that if they're in a pinch, they've gotten some cleaner from Sam's called Sprayway. She wasn't sure if it was in the cleaner isle or the automotive isle, but she said it runs a close 2nd to the other.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:01pm
post #27 of 52

You know what? About 90% of the Wilton things I own I have nothing but good things to say about. The bags, tips, boards, pans, powder, gumpaste, cutters, ribbon roller, and on and on...work wonderful.

Are there things that they should pull or better design? (the tilting turn table, colors that need a toothpick, and icing sculptor come to mind) YES. But if the courses give you a starting point, and above all else, an interest in decorating, then don't bash them.

I may be lucky that my local Michael's has an aise just devoted to their cake decorating supplies, so I don't have to hunt for other shops for my basic needs, but as I got more interested in cake decorating, I began to find all the really good stuff the pros use, but when someone asks about learning to decorate, I completely recommend the Wilton products as a starting point, which is exactly what they are for.

Just my thoughts.
Angie

berryblondeboys Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #28 of 52

thanks for the cleaner tip! Hiring someone is a non-issue - no money and all our windows are new tilt in windows to supposedly make cleaning easier. Sure, I can REACH the windows, but I can't "clean" them! icon_confused.gif

Don't go to costco, but I can look for it anyway! LOL

Melissa

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:55pm
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTonyasCakes

I have no idea what he actually uses. It's some kind of foam glass cleaner in an aerosol can. you can't get it in a retail store, he orders it from a supplier. I know it has ammonia in it 'cause it stinks to high heaven! I'll see if I can find out the name of it and let ya know.

GM also makes a glass cleaner in an aerosol can and I LOVE it. My husband is a mechanic for a dealer so I can get it but nothing works better than that. The one I use doesn't stink though.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #30 of 52

I love Wilton tips, they aren't expensive and I have 2 or 3 of each, I see no reason spending 2 bucks more on a BIG NAME...I loved my KA so much I have 2.....never had a problem with either and one is 12 years old.....I also love Windex LOL....but I don't do windows...or iron..cause I suck at both...But back to subject..I bake out of my home..I don't have 12 bucks to spend on another companies tips when you can do the same thing with the same tip that has WILTON printed on it for 10 dollars less...As you can tell I haven't found my DH money tree yet (and that is not meant DEAR husband either lol), even if I do eventually bake more than just a few cakes a week I still won't go out and spend a arm and leg on supplies for just their name..I think that is just goofy....And as far as strollers/high chairs/baby stuff in general...I look at the Consumer Reports...because nine times out of 10..the cheaper ones are the safest!!!!! True true icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%