Why Does It Say This?

Decorating By mnmmommy Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm by southaustingirl

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #1 of 8

I was looking at the luster duston Earlene's website and it said

"Should be used on items that can be removed from the cake."


7 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:03am
post #2 of 8

Some are not edible. They are not toxic but not edible. HTH

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:54am
post #3 of 8

I think it has to do with the FDA. They have not approved the dust to eat. Just like Gumpaste, they say for decoration only. I think though in Europe, it is different, I think they put the dust on their cakes and eat it. It is also like the silver and gold dragees, they say for decoration only, but I remember years ago we ate these things all the time.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:45am
post #4 of 8

The store where I buy all my cake decorating supplies no longer carries the dragees because they are not intended to be eaten. Like Cupcake, I remember eating these as kids and thinking they were pretty good!

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:59am
post #5 of 8

OOPS! I painted the CK Gold luster dust onto some of my chocolate cakes (the fireman's badge sheet cake and the state trooper hat cake in my photos). I haven't HEARD that anyone got sick or died from eating it, and I would know since both of the women who ordered them are friends of mine (and nail clients as well). The packaging certainly doesn't give a warning about not being edible, it just says "non-toxic".

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 8

I look at it like this. We all use lipstick (well probably most of us) and it is not edible, but it is non-toxic. It still gets eaten or swallowed anyway. So I think its safe as long as you aren't eating a whole bottle of it at one time.
Just my opinion.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 8

As a treat I buy my kids dragees to eat. Then some of the neighbor's kids have eaten some. Maybe that is what is wrong with them all, (just joking about the part that something is wrong with them. I was wondering why the kids were glowing in the dark) icon_lol.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 8

The FDA only puts there stamp of approval on things that can be defined as food or drugs....I am sure they have a definition and criteria. Snice luster dust is not considered a food or drug, it will not recevie FDA approval. That doesn't mean the it is not safe to consume........kinda like kids eating non-toxic crayons or non-toxic clay....neither is considered a food but kida aren't going to die from eating a crayon or clay.

I guess if someone got sick from eating some cake or cookies that were decorated with luster dust they could argue it was becasue the dust is not a food item.

Quote by @%username% on %date%