Small Cake Pans

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 10:01am by JENNSCAKES90909

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:38am
post #1 of 9

I am looking to make a very small 2 tier cake for my mother in law's 60th birthday coming up next month. I don't think there will be any sort of party as they are very quiet people; it will only be just the 5 of us for meal. So, I was thinking I could make one 4 inch tier and one 2 inch tier, or maybe 5 and 3. The problem is, where do I find cake pans that small? Round ones would be preferable because they are easy to ice and I am a beginner. I am in the UK, any ideas? TIA!

I'm also opened to any suggestions regarding the cake!

June

8 replies
mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:40am
post #2 of 9

If you are not going to making those small sizes on a regular basis I would just cut them out of a 1/4 sheet or a square.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:14am
post #3 of 9

I've never done this before, but I've heard of baking in cans that would be the size you need.

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:56am
post #4 of 9

Could you use a mini tier cake pan from this site? http://www.surbitonart.co.uk/acatalog/Sugarcraft_Catalogue_Cake_Tins_132.html

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:15am
post #5 of 9

frulund,
love that cake pan but question if you can do 2 seperate flavors? Looks like you bake the 2 tiers all at once. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:22am
post #6 of 9

If you are going to make two flavours, then I would use some empty, clean foodtins. They would work just fine.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 9

I use the teeny ones all the time. I found one set of 5" at Walmart and a 4" set at Michaels. My daughter loves to decorate her own cake so they are perfect for her. Both of these cakes were made using the 5" pans, I don't have any pics of the 4" ones yet.

This one is on a regular size paper plate so you can see how small it is.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=528623

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=512703

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 9:13am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'm just going to make them a bigger cake and then cut pieces out to make the actual cake.

June

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:01am
post #9 of 9

June,

I recently used a food can from canned chicken for a top tier on a cake. It was the perfect size. I have now saved the tins for future use. I have also read many posts on using tuna cans. So maybe you could take a quick walk in the grocery store and see what you come up with. If only green beans came in 16" round size cans icon_biggrin.gif the world would be a much cheaper place.HTH.Good LucK

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%