Toba Garrett - Moist Yellow Cake

Baking By majormichel Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 5:54pm by schoolbaker

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #31 of 58

I add 1 Tbs per cup of flour, and only when I am making a cake that needs to hold for a while, or cupcakes, which dry out notoriously quickly. The directions say add 2 T per c. of flour, which to me is too much. I do use that amount when I am making muffins or carrot cake etc.

sugarplumdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumdiva Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:49pm
post #32 of 58

icon_lol.gif I have used nothing but this recipe. I love it. I agree that beating for the alloted time is very important. I have received nothing but good reviews from customers about this cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:51am
post #33 of 58

I had the pleasure of tasting this cake recipe today - made by Chef Toba, herself. I have read in the past where someone in a thread mentioned that this cake came out dry for them. I cannot possibly see how. It was wonderful, and will be replacing the yellow cake recipe I currently use.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:11am
post #34 of 58

hip hip hooray! icon_smile.gif

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:42pm
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I had the pleasure of tasting this cake recipe today - made by Chef Toba, herself. I have read in the past where someone in a thread mentioned that this cake came out dry for them. I cannot possibly see how. It was wonderful, and will be replacing the yellow cake recipe I currently use.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

WHAT!?! Do tell. What was the occasion? Details, please.

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #36 of 58

Thanks for asking, but no occasion, really. I took the Techniques of Cake Decorating 1 class at ICE, where she teaches. At the end of the class, of course, you are expected to decorate a cake. When she baked the cakes for us, she made an extra one for us to sample that day, telling us that it is actually better the second day. Boy, was she right about that! The cakes that we decorated on the last day of class (which waited, covered, overnight) were fabulous. My son, who is not a big cake eater, tasted a bite of mine, then dove right into it. He loved the icing, because it was creamy, but not very sweet. I have been instructed that it is now the icing he wants on his future birthday cakes.

I go back next week for Techniques of Cake Baking 1&2 Combined, then two weeks later for Techniques of Cake Decorating 2.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #37 of 58

playingwithsugar, which of her icings did you use on the cake?

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:54pm
post #38 of 58

Amaretto espresso buttercream. It is divine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

melysa Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:04pm
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Amaretto espresso buttercream. It is divine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yum! i am doing a wedding cake in two weeks. the flavor of the cake is amaretto (of which i am using tobas yellow cake recipe as the base-) and the frosting is espresso smbc. i use elisa strauss' recipe for the smbc. just out of curiousity, do you mind sharing her bc recipe? thanks a bunch~

and i agree, this flavor combination is AMAZING!!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #40 of 58

I'm sorry, but at class she discussed the issue she has with people sharing her copyrighted material, and requested that we not distribute her information without her consent. We all agreed to honor her request. I have a lot more at stake than the other class members, as she will be my instructor for several upcoming classes, and I do not want to mar the relationship that I need to build with her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:24pm
post #41 of 58

I'm confused... on Toba's cake... you said you use Less Flour? icon_confused.gif And on using this for cupcakes, you add 1/4 c. sugar plus 3Tabl. of Signature Secrets? Correct? icon_confused.gif

melysa Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:53pm
post #42 of 58

i dont think you need to use less flour. if you look in the back of her book (check the library or book store if you dont have it) she talks about how the weight measurements are different for dry/wet/ eggs etc... so the earlier mention of this, i think isnt all that relevant. ( i read up on this afterwards and i understand now what toba means)so in my opinion, the best thing to do is go by her weight measurements. you can get a very inexpensive scale from walmart for less than ten dollars to start out with.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #43 of 58

I've never had a yellow cake I really liked, so I'll be trying this one soon. I really just need to get the The Well Decorated Cake.

Thanks for sharing this.

lorrieg Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:35pm
post #44 of 58

playingwithsugar, i just made her imbc with lemoncello and loved it but it doesn't crust. I have ALL of her books. Could you tell me which book, page and recipe you used exactly?

Ok, ok, I'm blonde and I can't figure this out myself. icon_cry.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:55pm
post #45 of 58

I did not get the recipe from a book. It was part of the syllabus from class.

And don't put yourself down -- there is nothing wrong with not knowing that meringue-based buttercream icings do not crust. That's why we ask questions here.

Therefore, swiss meringue buttercream, italian meringue buttercream, and french buttercream, will never get a crusting layer on them. If you need to handle them a little roughly, say, to apply rolled fondant, you must refrigerate the iced cake until the icing is hard, then apply your fondant. It is also wise to refrigerate it before doing any piping decorations.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:41pm
post #46 of 58

Toba's Yellow Cake recipe is on page 277 of her "Professional Cake Decorating," the SMBC is on page 262, and Amaretto Mocha Buttercream is on page 263.

I agree, you should buy the book to get her recipes...it's soooooooo worth it and it respects her copyrighted material.

GI Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:02am
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

i dont think you need to use less flour. if you look in the back of her book (check the library or book store if you dont have it) she talks about how the weight measurements are different for dry/wet/ eggs etc... so the earlier mention of this, i think isnt all that relevant. ( i read up on this afterwards and i understand now what toba means)so in my opinion, the best thing to do is go by her weight measurements. you can get a very inexpensive scale from walmart for less than ten dollars to start out with.

Thanks for this! I'm going to look into her cookbook.
I ended up getting a digital food scale. Helps me when I'm baking....not to mention the never-ending diet! icon_biggrin.gif

lorrieg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #48 of 58

playingwithsugar, I just found the recipe in her book and realized that I made SMBC. Ha ha, no wonder it's so good, it's all butter and liqueur.

I'm going to try her decorator buttercream for this week. It's supposed to crust.

I have my new scale now that will handle larger quantities of ingredients so this time I'll weigh them for the Yellow Cake. Mine was a bit dry last time and I think that was partly it and maybe I baked it a titch too long.

Taking the class that goes with her book is a dream of mine. Actually flying her here and getting private lessons would be first on my list. icon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:26am
post #49 of 58

Well Lorrieg I hope someday you get your dream. The taking her class part.
Ü

GI Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:44am
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

Actually flying her here and getting private lessons would be first on my list. icon_lol.gif

Win that lottery, baby, win that lottery!!! That's what Rich & Famous People get to do!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

lorrieg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:01am
post #51 of 58

Until then, I'll just dream, read her books and attempt to make my cakes look sort of like hers..... icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:04am
post #52 of 58

Taking one of her classes would be a great excuse to vacation in NYC. Let me know, and I'll come in and show you around my home town!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #53 of 58

Theresa, you're on! icon_biggrin.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #54 of 58

I am in Toba's cake deco I class right now and we get to try her Yellow cake recipe this Saturday made by Toba herself. I am so excited!!! Ihave made it a few times myself for cupcakes and it comes out too dense for my taste. Maybe I will ask her this Saturday how to change it if I am making cupcakes! It is my last class in cake deco I and I am getting so sad that I won't be able to bombard her with questions anymore icon_biggrin.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

I am in Toba's cake deco I class right now and we get to try her Yellow cake recipe this Saturday made by Toba herself. I am so excited!!! Ihave made it a few times myself for cupcakes and it comes out too dense for my taste. Maybe I will ask her this Saturday how to change it if I am making cupcakes! It is my last class in cake deco I and I am getting so sad that I won't be able to bombard her with questions anymore icon_biggrin.gif

Sue, please let us know her reply about the cupcakes! I am always on the lookout for a good cupcake alternative, and I also found that this recipe was too dense for my taste when made as cupcakes.

I was once told that replacing butter with margarine gives a recipe more suitable for cupcakes, but as I dislike margarine, I haven't had the courage to try it, yet!

schoolbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schoolbaker Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:26pm
post #56 of 58

I saw buttermilk as one of the ingredients...but no baking soda?  Should we add some?

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 7:10pm
post #57 of 58

@schoolbaker NO

schoolbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schoolbaker Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:54pm
post #58 of 58

Thank you...I get confused on baking soda when to add when not to....;) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%