Sticky Situation W/ Payment! (Long.....rant)

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm by koolaidstains

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 15

Okay first of all I am very new to all this cake decorating stuff. But, I volunteered to make my cousin's cake, I told my uncle that I would glady do her cake for practice....He was going to go to Kroger and buy a 1/4 sheet cake to feed close to 40 people?? His excuse was he is poor...so, I said I would do the cake just for cost of ingredients. The picture of the cake I made for her is in my gallery. I made a 3 tier princess/girly/high heeled shoes themed cake. It was a 12',20',8' round tiered cake, I knew that I was making more cake than they needed but, I wanted to make this cake!! LOL. I used 7 cake mixes, 1 1/2 dozen eggs, 1lb or more of butter, peanut butter..... and on and on....
He's always complaining about how poor he is...but, aren't we all. I probably would have accepted 15 dollars for this cake, since it was a lot more cake than they needed....but, guess what He didn't pay me a dime!! I also had already bought the little girl her present so all in all this birthday party cost me more time and money than I EVER planned on spending especially for NOTHING in return!!

How do I go about this whole situation....do I just write it off and learn a lesson?? I usually know about a party ahead of time and offer to make the cake for my gift to them....and I NEVER make that big of a cake....10' round is the usual freebie to family and friends. I have just been telling myself that it was good practice anyways and I wanted a reason to do a tiered cake anyway.....but, it just irritates me.....I don't want to start a family feud.....But.....would he go work for 2 days and expect no payment in return!!??? icon_eek.gif

Sorry I needed to vent....GRRR icon_mad.gif

14 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 15

I don't want to upset you, but you volunteered. That's the key word, and you said you'd do it for practice.

I do think he should have offered you something...atleast what he was going to pay for a kroger cake.

Did he even say thank you or anything?

I think I'd say something to him about it, but in a nice way, and not expecting any payment at all.

You did get some great practice and learned a lesson, too. Family is the worst customers.

Good Luck!

Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 15

He told me in the beginning he'd buy the cake mixes and eggs and stuff but, then he said you buy them and I'll pay you back......Which I then told him it was going to take 7 cake mixes...He said well I'll give you $10 dollars tomorrow and the rest later......nothing ever happened.....and I do feel weird asking about $$ since I wanted to make the cake....But he volunteered to help with some of the cost!! Which sucks!!

MMDD you are right....I have already learned....Family are the WORST customers!!

Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 15

Oh.....he did say that the cake was Awesome and he really liked it.....Which was nice.... My lil cousin LOVED it too which was really the whole point I guess....it's just the point that he said he'd do something but then didn't do it, you Know?

Now my DH has learned what happened and said I shouldn't make cakes for anyone without taking some form of payment......Now I will get grief from him everytime I make a cake for family/friends!

nikic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikic Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 15

Perhaps the birthday put him a bit over and he is waiting for next payday?

I'd give him some time and then I'd say something. You don't have to be mean, just say in a fun way hey Uncle Jack, where's my cash!

Next time if you want to volunteer, I'd give the cake as a gift, and then you get experience and you get the birthday gal/guy a treat.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 15

I would just write it off as a lesson learned. Next time if you want to do a cake for the cost of ingredients, insist on money upfront.

The cake looks great!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 15

Maybe you could casually bring it up, and give him the benefit of the doubt. As in, maybe he forgot??? Ya know with all the huss & fuss of having a bday party.

<make it sound good, ya know>

One side of my family pays me well. I will discount their cakes a little, but they always give me a tip. One of the wedding cakes I did, my cousin gave me a $40 tip on top of the payment.

But.....My moms side of my family wants free cake, so I don't ever make cakes for them, needless to say. I told them flat out, this is what it will cost and I need the money now. They still eat walmart cake. It's cheaper, they said.

You made a wonderful cake, and if I was on the receiving end, I'd never be able to "just accept" it. I'd have to give something for it.

Oh well, and btw....our dh's are smarter than we think, listen to him!!! LOL!!!!

And, you vent all you want. CC is here!!!!!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 15

Is there some "favor" you could request he do to repay you??? Mow your lawn, help you build a shelf, fix something simple on your car?? Sometimes bartering is the best way to get things or services you need....In the meantime, listen to your husband and don't take orders from ANYONE without some form of payment!!!

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 15

You can always make it your gift to the family member so your DH doesn't mind in future.

I would figure up the cost of the princess cake(it is a very pretty cake) and then tell your uncle what he owes you. I would catch him on payday if you know when that is icon_twisted.gif .

Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 15

Yeah....I guess he was right....I did learn though because this past weekend I made my godson's cake and I said up front this will be his birthday present so I won't charge you. I will never do a cake of that size for anyone again without some kind payment/arrangement/trade up front!!
Lesson Learned!!

I knew I could vent here and get some support!!

Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 15

BTW, Thanks for all your kind words about my cake!! Feels good to get complimented on something I stressed about for over a month!! LOL

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 15

Your cake turned out wonderful!!

But...as someone else said you did volunteer. Did you tell him up front what the costs would be?

I know you spent alot of money and time on this cake but he was up front with you about his finances. You decided that you wanted to do a stacked cake that would need 7 cake mixes.

I'm not trying to upset you BUT you wanted to do this cake.

I agree he should reimburse you for some of the ingredients, as he promised. Have you told him how much he owes you? Maybe he thinks it will be more than he wanted to spend.

The first thing you have to remember with ANY client is that you have to discuss price, up front. No guessing. And you have to get money up front. I would not have bought any ingredients until he paid you his portion for them.

Lesson learned, I am afraid. icon_sad.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 15

OH BOY....I just posted this morning about no payment cake !!! See this link for some good suggestions.......

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46926-.html

Hope this will help you.......as you can see, from my post, I've decided that I'm going to send my co-worker a nice card thanking them for letting me do the cake and then kindly tell them they can feel free to mail me that check any time now icon_smile.gif

Good luck to you.....

Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 15

Lesson learned!!

I just know I have to let everyone else in the Family know that I will no longer be doing such large time consuming cakes for free....practice or not. they want a tiered cake.....they can pay, a discount I will figure out and, pay me up front!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 15

If it were me, I would just let it go and consider it a learning experience. With family it's not worth rocking the boat for $15. It may have cost you more than that, but a cake for 40 people would not have cost more than $15 in ingredients and that's probably what your uncle expected.

In the future you may say I'll charge you only for ingredients, but then know right away what that's going to cost. Most people will have no idea how much ingredients cost so it's better to just have a price to give them up front.

If you don't want to collect money up front, (I don't for friends and family or smaller cakes) say something like, make sure you have the $30 in cash to give me when I deliver the cake. Or if you accept checks, say make sure you have your checkbook handy when I deliver. This lets them know up front you expect to be paid and they won't think they can just pay you whenever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%