Ok, What Do I Do Now??

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 23 Oct 2006 , 3:33am by pookster

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 35

Hi all - I'll try to keep this one short. I'M FRUSTRATED. I made a cake for a co-worker a few weeks ago. A great guy. Talked to his wife on the phone, too (don't know her personally). She had ordered a treasure chest cake from a local specialty baker for their son's 6th birthday. The guy I work with had been telling his wife what good cakes I make and then suggested to me that I call her or e-mail her to see if she might want me to do the cake instead. Well, long story short, I talked to her and she sounded VERY excited that I could do the cake and we decided on a pirate ship cake. I told her at that time that I do offer a special price for co-workers and it is half of what the bakery would have charged her. So, she got a pretty darn good deal for this at $25.00 !!! I made the cake, met Adam to deliver it, they raved about it, even said their son was the envy of his class at school. Now, you guessed it - - NO PAYMENT FOR THE CAKE. He came up to see me this morning to return the knife and spatula that I brought for them to use, and had it wrapped in a towel that I had wrapped around the cake. I hadn't see him in a few weeks because of our opposite schedules, so basically I've just been waiting......and waiting.........................................and waiting.

This is only the second cake that I've made for a co-worker.......and I can't even begin to tell you how truly disappointed I am with how this has transpired. Of course, you all know that this morning, I wanted to say "UM, MONEY PLEASE".....................or maybe more like tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif "WHERE'S THE BLEEPING MONEY YOU OWE ME FOR ALL THE TIME AND ENERGY I PUT INTO THIS CAKE??? tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

If you can't already tell, I am REALLY hurt about this. Not mad......just hurt. How do I approach him and say what's on my mind without sounding like a total bee-otch?? I'm feeling VERY reactive right now so I will not deal with it this moring, but I have a 12 hr shift with him today and want to take care of it ASAP. Do you think it might just be a case of his wife thinking he paid me and he thinks that she paid me? God, I hope so.

Thanks for listening......
Suzanne

34 replies
monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 35

I think you can very nicely mention that you are so glad they liked the cake, but that while you are embarressed to admit this you are still waiting for payment. That way if the wife/husband got their signals crossed they can shamefully admit this...or at the least they know that you are not giving away your cakes for free and expect payment immediately.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 35

Did you ask him about paying you? Maybe they just forgot or it could be like you thought and the parents assume the other one paid.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 35

Maybe you could just casually thank him, again, for returning your things, and say something like "I am really glad that you enjoyed the cake, did your wife mention when I could expect payment for it?"

That would give him the opportunity to either check with her or to just go ahead and pay you himself.

Janice

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 35

Oh I would ask, I bet they just figured the other paid you.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 35

Sounds like he thought the wife paid - too bad when he gave you the knife you didn't ask if the wife sent a check - that's it, say you did not receive the payment from themyet and was hoping it was not "lost in the mail" since you don't see each other that often at work......ok, that is lame, but the best I can think of on one cup of coffee... icon_redface.gif

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 35

To avoid the whole I dont know what to do. Bill him - make bill mail it, put it in his mail box. This is an easy way to not have to have the I dont know what to say thing.

auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 35

Well, I did not ask him about paying me............when he came in this morning and there was no money (as I was expecting), I was kind of stunned. I really like this guy. He even called me after his son had the cake at school and said "Oh, this was HUGE....HUGE. He was the envy of the class, blah blah blah". When he didn't bring the money the day I gave them the cake, he said "oh, I'll bring a check to work, or did Tammy pay you yet, or something like that...." It all sounded on the up and up and not at all like he was (or ever would) NOT pay me. I don't know how he could ever expect that his wife would pay me, as I don't even know her and I don't believe she would even know how to SEND me a check. I have a sneaking hunch that HE was supposed to pay me and has just totally forgotten. I don't know. All I know is it's REALLY bothering me more than I ever thought it would. I'm starting to get an untrusting aura for future customers around me.

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 35

I agree that making up a bill in black and white and giving it to him will jog his memory. Might be the best way to go. Janice

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 35

Really, at this point to avoid any more hard feelings, you really should mention it to him

auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 35

Okay, I'm getting the impression from those who have written so far that I should "just ask"............my problem is I am VERY non-confrontational and a people pleaser (not a good way to be for this type of business, I know). I need to grow some you know whats......(sorry, but it's true).

Unfortunately, I am much more the type of person who will write this off as a HUGE LESSON...........and I mean HUGE. Others down the road will have to pay for their "mistake" as I will quickly get to the point of doing cakes for NO ONE without payment up front. I know alot of you have been in this position..........and boy it's a rotten feeling.

Thanks again for listening. I'm still all wound up about it. Good thing it wasn't a wedding cake I was dealing with here !!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I agree that making up a bill in black and white and giving it to him will jog his memory. Might be the best way to go. Janice

I agree with VJTX.

Janice...don't fret..you are ENTITTLED to ask for the money that you EARNED.

and why such a deep discount to Co-workers? I'd be happy with a 10% discount..lol

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 35

Whenever, I am supposed to get paid to do a cake, I simply remind them of the price as I am handing it over to them. It goes a lot like this....

"I'm so glad you gave me the opportunity to work on this for you. I'm sure you are going to love it. That will be $30."

It works every time! Keep a smile on your face, shake your head lovingly and be sure to make eye contact.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 35

Oh, please don't just write this one off! You deserve to get paid for it. I understand how you feel. What I would do is make up a small bill, nothing fancy or anything, and the next time you see him, give it to him and just say, "sorry it took me so long to get you the bill." I am sure he will clue in that he needs to pay for the cake right away!
I know it is not as direct as asking for the money, but I know how that might feel awkward for you.
But please don't just give it away! He may have truely forgotten, I am sure he is not trying to give you a run for your money. Please don't let this leave a bad taste in your mouth.

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 35

Frankly I don't believe it is in your best interest to just write this off, it is bothering you so much right now, and probably is not going to go away any time soon and will affect how you respond to other requests for cakes.

As Risquebusiness said, you are entitled to ask for your payment...it just isn't fair to let this guy get away with that, even if he is a nice guy (I'd be rethinking that at this point!) Janice

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #16 of 35

I agree with meghanb. It was probably just a misunderstanding. He will probably be the one who feels embarrased. Besides you were practically giving the cake away at that price. You deserve the money!

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:50pm
post #17 of 35

I vote for giving him a bill. You can buy an inexpensive sales order pad at Wal-Mart. I find that giving someone a bill is less confrontational, but gets the point across.

DreamofAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamofAngels Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 35

I had the same thing happen to me recently. My boss asked me to make a cake for 40 people for our doctor's wife's baby shower and just to tell her how much it cost later. About a week later I called her and told her how much it was (we actually work out of 2 separate locations). After several casual verbal reminders and lots of frustration and thought on my part (I was hurt, angry and also just thought about letting it go) I decided to try one last time (by now 2 months had passed). I printed up a bill in her name just like the one we send out to patients and sent it to here with a smiley face written on it and FINAL NOTICE. I called a day later to ask if she had received it (using a happy & joking voice of course because after all she is my boss) she said yes, apologized for the delay and I had a check the next day! Hope this helps.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 35

I definitely think you should ask about it - you don't have to be "confrontational" about it - just simply say, "were you able to send me a check yet for the cake? Or, did you happen to have my check today for the cake I made your son?". It's not confrontational to ask for money you're due - it's the way the world works. You provided a service, they need to provide a payment. Maybe they even wrote the check out and have just forgotten to actually give it to you - it's just a little reminder. You don't have to march up to him and start yelling and screaming your head off about how he owes you money - just simply ask - or tell him you have some expenses coming up and you really need your payment for the cake by ________.

And in the future, make sure you get at least half of the payment up front and the rest when you deliver. Good luck! Get some guts b/c you don't have to be "confrontational", but you can't let people walk all over you either! Try finding the happy balance (yeah I'm still looking for it too.....). Good luck again!

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 35

I know how you feel about the situation,as I too have been in that bind. I also don't like having to ask for money especially if you know the person.My situation happened a few years ago and it was also somebody I knew which made it more difficult to ask for the money,but let me tell you the longer you wait the more difficult it becomes I NEVER GOT PAID and it took me hours of hard work for that cake.I have to say I absolutly love the idea of giving him a bill,If I had that suggestion back then from someone it would have been the perfect solution to my problem.Please make sure you do that you worked so hard on that cake and they truly got a great deal on it.Do it for yourself and all of us that at some time did not get paid for our work.... thumbs_up.gif .Good luck and have a great day

auntsushi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 35

Oh, thank you all SO MUCH for the suggestions. That's why I really love this place.....so many great minds (I really mean that).

Here's what I think I am going to do....I am going to write them a nice card thanking them for the business because I really do appreciate it. And I KNOW they told people in their son's class about me and my cakes. And I KNOW they loved the cake. AND they said they'd order more cakes from me. I'm going to write them a quick note in a card thanking them and then I will just say something like "please feel free to pay by check or cash and either have Adam bring the money to work or you can mail me a check". I really do believe that it was an oversight on their part - I don't think either one of them would intentionally not pay me. I think if I mail them a card, it will save them the embarassment and it will give me a good way to think about my words to them. I work for a company where we are all very close ( air ambulance medical helicopters). Our flight nurses, medics and pilots are all precious to me so it's maybe not a "typical" workplace. Anyway, this IS a good learning experience and I will be much more cautious in the future. And I do give my friends and co-workers here a really good discount because A) I love them all B) I want their business and C) Hope they will refer others to me and D) I need the practice and would rather be making a "real" cake for them at a small price (supplies plus a little extra) than making it for no one in particular.

Thanks again to all of your for your help and advice.

Suzanne

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:55pm
post #22 of 35

Another perspective: You worked 40 hrs putting in your best work at your job, pay day comes around and no check. Because you dont want to be confrontational are you gonna not ask about your pay or are you gonna ask about the money that is owed you. Please don't write it off. Send a bill or nice reminder. You deserve to be paid. Each could have assumed the other took care of it.

CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #23 of 35

And it will still take a strong face when you have to say "I need payment upfront."

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 35

I don't understand why it should be so hard to ask for at least half upfront, if not all of the payment.
If people go to a bakery, Walmart, wherever, and order a cake they have to pay for it in advance or they don't get a cake, why should we home bakers not have the same benefit? Janice

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #25 of 35

Auntsushi....I think you've picked the best option for you....just send the note. You sound like a really sweet person, BUT I do agree with everyone that you shouldn't just let it go either!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:58pm
post #26 of 35

yeah, I think your idea will work. I on the other hand and just going to write my situation off and hope and pray he doesn't expect another free cake next year!! LOL

thanks, this post was a lot like mine!! I think I am a lot like you....people pleaser and unconfrontational.....it's gonna be a tough thing to change!!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:00pm
post #27 of 35

It sounds like you work in a very busy job - I'm sure just slipped his mind. I"d print up an invoice - you can make very professional ones using either Word or Excel and give it to him.

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:23pm
post #28 of 35

I would get an order or receipt book and attach a copy of the order with the price info to the letter you are writing. It makes it more professional and people are less likely to get offended by it.

You can get the books at Walmart or any office store pretty cheap. Good luck.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsushi

Oh, thank you all SO MUCH for the suggestions. That's why I really love this place.....so many great minds (I really mean that).

Here's what I think I am going to do....I am going to write them a nice card thanking them for the business because I really do appreciate it. And I KNOW they told people in their son's class about me and my cakes. And I KNOW they loved the cake. AND they said they'd order more cakes from me. I'm going to write them a quick note in a card thanking them and then I will just say something like "please feel free to pay by check or cash and either have Adam bring the money to work or you can mail me a check". I really do believe that it was an oversight on their part - I don't think either one of them would intentionally not pay me. I think if I mail them a card, it will save them the embarassment and it will give me a good way to think about my words to them. I work for a company where we are all very close ( air ambulance medical helicopters). Our flight nurses, medics and pilots are all precious to me so it's maybe not a "typical" workplace. Anyway, this IS a good learning experience and I will be much more cautious in the future. And I do give my friends and co-workers here a really good discount because A) I love them all B) I want their business and C) Hope they will refer others to me and D) I need the practice and would rather be making a "real" cake for them at a small price (supplies plus a little extra) than making it for no one in particular.

Thanks again to all of your for your help and advice.

Suzanne

That sounds good to me. Very friendly, and non insulting. icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:11pm
post #30 of 35

I think you've come up with a great idea!!! I might add the other idea from peachquilter about attaching a receipt though - just to reiterate the amount they are supposed to pay too. And it's friendly, but a bill as well to let them know you haven't received payment and tells them how much you expect to receive for your work. Good luck! I like the "thank you card" idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%