Edible Writing Pens

Decorating By LisaBa Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 12:42pm by veejaytx

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 5

I am getting ready to order a set of markers for writing on fondant, etc. I was looking on sugarcraft and there are quite a few to choose from. Which ones are the best for those of you who use them? I have some from years ago that I bought while taking a class that the instructor filled with liquid. I have a few that were never used, so do I order liquid like you use in an air gun for those? Thanks!

4 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 5

I've used the "food grade" pens. There 2 sizes are available. Narrow, or fine tip and wide or fatter tipped. You'll probably want both. They're fun to work with. I've used then on rice paper for butterflies and such. The color is dense, but does take a while to dry. You'll have fun using them.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 5

I have the Americolor pens and really like them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 5

don't know about the ones you fill with liquid.....but I have heard the americolor ones work REALLY well and have a nice thin tip on them making it really easy to do nice small details. I have some of the wilton ones and they're ok......I also have some kopykake ones which are supposedly high quality but I ordered them from ebay and they're kinda dried out! So I guess I never really got to experience them fully. If you look in my photos the first pic. is of some cookies that I used the wilton ones on ( I used the fine tip) and you can see how thick the tip was on them by the writing.......I also have some valentines cookies that I used the kopykake pens on.....I had to retrace the name like 3 or 4 times to get it dark enough (using black marker) because they were so dried out...although I think they may have been nice if they weren't dried out....you could use one side that was thin or use the other side (on the same point) and it was thicker!

here are links to my photos so you can see the difference:

That's the wilton ones


Those are the kopy kake ones

Hope that helps you some!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

I've been given three boxes of the Wilton ones, and have yet to find one pen that will actually work, so I sure wouldn't recommend those! Have to try the Americolor set. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%