Wow This Lady Tapped Into A Market-

Decorating By marcimang Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 2:24am by AngelaDay

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 13

while searching the net for info on how to make gumpaste roses I came across this website that sells cake kits. She shows a pic of her cake and then gives you detailed instructions on how to make it and also includes some pre made components- for a fortune!!! YOu got to check out these prices I wish I would have thought of this. the site is www.gailwatsoncake.com

Also wondering what you all thought about this- I came across another a different ( not the above listed site)site of a decorator and she has pics from the wilton yearbooks on her pages- clearly making it look as if she did these cakes. I looked at some of her other work and she could not produce a wilton yearbook quality cake. Don't you think that is fraud? I want to contact her or something- I am not sure why this bothers me so much but it really does- am I being petty or would this bother anyone else?

12 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:05am
post #2 of 13

Wow, I see what you mean about those prices.
According to that, we are all underpricing our cakes, wedding or otherwise!

That bothers me too, to be using Wilton photos as examples of her own cakes, but what could be done about it? Janice

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 13

That cake kit sounds like a good idea, but hopefuuly there isn't some bride out there that thinks she can easily put together a cake with fondant swags, etc without ever practicing. That could be a little scary!!!

I think that the lady with the fraudulent pictures will probably find herself out of business if her cakes aren't very good looking, so I wouldn't worry about it too much icon_smile.gif

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #4 of 13

I love the Petal White cake on Gail Watson's site...but you're right - she is pricey and I wondered the same thing about putting one together. She sure doesn't give any detail how much time and work would go into doing one of those cakes even if you get all of your "goodies" premade.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:16am
post #5 of 13

That's ridiculous!
No first time cake maker can possibly make a cake like her's, even with the instructions and some overpriced components. She is just begging for some bridezilla to hunt her down after her wedding cake comes out lopsided and ugly.

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:25am
post #6 of 13

that is exactly what I was thinking , I mean the cakes are beautiful but come on can anyone really put those together? And the prices are so high!!! I can only imagine what a real cake from her would run you- probably my first born haha ha

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:35am
post #7 of 13

Holy smokes! She is waayyyy overpriced. You can buy alot of those ready made items at a local cake supply store or online, print the picture, and just copy the design. Good luck to her. I wonder how many people out there will actually spend that kind of money to do it themselves. If you're going to spend that kind of money, wouldn't it make more sense to take the picture to a local decorator?

I agree with you about the fraudulent pictures. Perhaps you should send the web address to Wilton and let them in on it. We all work hard to make our cakes beautiful, and for someone to do something like that is just wrong.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #8 of 13

I'll tell you something, those are beautiful cakes. And given the work that her staff is putting in, and the fact that it is in NYC, the price seems pretty fair.

EVERYTHING in NYC is about 3x the price of most other 'normal' places.

I know there are people on this site who can tell you better than I can, but when I lived there (15 years ago) Rent for my studio apt. was $1300....and that was in Queens. I couldn't go to the deli and get a sandwich and soda for under $10.

Where I live now, my mortgage is under $700 and you can go to the deli for lunch for about $6.50.

So, I would say, consider the source for pricing....and, that is A LOT of flowers to be making, drying and shipping out! I stink at flowers and one takes me like an hour. So, this would maybe come in handy in a pinch (and if I could afford it, and if I had someone willing to purchase it, and if I actually sold cakes for money!!) icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #9 of 13

Ok, those cakes really are beautiful!! I wish I could make the kits and do what she is doing! Honestly, in her defense, in her description she says it's for the SAVVY baker, or to take to your local professional baker, so she isn't advocating a first timer trying to assemble one of these. It does seem like a lot of money... but New York... everything is expensive there. My mortgage payment in Iowa is probably less than what the average New Yorker pays for a covered parking spot!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:47am
post #10 of 13

Oh, and I meant to say... you should email the web address to customer service at Wilton and let them know that you ran across this during your surfing. They would be interested in seeing it I am sure. Oh wait... it's not my website is it? J/K!!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #11 of 13

Actually, if you send the info to Wilton, their legal department will send her a cease and desist letter - it is both a copyright infringement to use their photographs, and unfair and deceptive trade practices under both federal and state law. They'll jump on that pretty quickly to protect their intellectual property rights.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #12 of 13

The cakes on the website are beautiful. What a great idea!

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:24am
post #13 of 13

She has hit the cake lotto. They are beautiful, but wow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%