Job Interview With Bakery

Decorating By tugboat Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 3:37am by tugboat

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #1 of 8

I recently applied at a local chain store bakery and I don't have bakery experience (I've only had office jobs). I called before hand and asked if I need experience or do they have on the job training. I was told that I could at least start taking orders at the counter and go from there. I did tell the person in charge that I have taken all 3 Wilton courses, which she seemed really pleased about that. So with all that said...I got a call today wanting me to come in on Monday for an interview. What should I expect when I go in? Should I take a portfolio of some of my work?

7 replies
ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:50am
post #2 of 8

I would definately take a portfolio and your certificates from the courses you took. Good luck with the interview!! thumbs_up.gif

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:54am
post #3 of 8

Even if they are only interested in hiring you for counter work at first I would still take a portfolio. It wouldn't have to be huge or grand but just something to show them that you really do know how to decorate. When I got my first job at a grocery store bakery (well, second bakery but the first one didn't do cakes, just breads and stuff) I was applying for counter help but I put on my application that I had taken the wilton courses and took my portfolio, (crappy as it was) to my interview. THe manager was impressed, and occasionally when it was slow or they needed extra help, she showed me how they decorated cakes there and I would get to do a few now and then. Then one day the cake decorator just up and quit without any notice so guess who got to jump in and take over the decorating? It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I decorated there for about 2 1/2 years and then got a job at a more upscale bakery as the birthday, all occasion cake decorator I have been there for about 2 1/2 years now and I am doing a lot of the wedding cakes now also. The owner now wants to go out and get more wedding cake accounts so that I can do more wedding cakes and pass my birthday cakes on to another gal.
Oh, sorry I got carried away and started to ramble. Go For IT! If you don't show them that you can decorated they will never know and you never know when your big break will happen!
GOOD LUCK!

tugboat Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 8

Cool! Ok...Thanks ladies for your help! I will definitely take my portfolio and certificates with me when I go since I'm not sure exactly what I am applying for decorator or bakery clerk. At least they will know I have some experience and know how to decorate. Should I be expected to decorate a cake when I go in? I'll also practice making some roses before I go as well incase they ask me to make one.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 8

Good luck, I hope you get the job. : )

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 8

If you end up applying for decorator then you might be expected to decorate a cake when you go. Wouldn't hurt to be prepared. When I applied for the bakery I work at now, after the interview they set up a time when I could come in and just decorate a cake or two for them to see. The grocery store interview I didn't have to decorate because I was just applying for counter help. I'd rather be overprepared then not.

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:25am
post #7 of 8

tugboat-

Sorry, no good advice, just wanted to wish you good luck!!

tugboat Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes!

-Ruthie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%