Rich Red Color Icing

Decorating By Buttafli Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm by jeffer01

Buttafli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttafli Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #1 of 13

Hello All

Hope all is well with everyone. I have a question about icing. How do you get a rich red from white icing. It seems that when I mix red coloring with white icing it never gets really red. Its always a bright red. I bought the Wilton brand Red Red coloring, but before I get to mixing I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they solved this. I thought about mixing a little orange in as well, but a little unsure. Help Please. Need to do Elmo cupcakes for a birthday party.

Any advance would be greatly appreciated

TIA
Miranda

12 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #2 of 13

I had the same problem with red until I got the Americolor red. Haven't gone back since. Some ladies add some red Kool-Aid to the icing but you do end up with that flavor icing.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #3 of 13

Americolor works much better than Wilton colors in my opinion. CakeCentral has good prices on Americolor also.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #4 of 13

Does the Americolor leave an aftertaste? I have read many good comments on it, but wasn't sure about the flavor.

I too need a nice, rich red. Just made a red icing and used the Wilton no taste red, but never achieved the real red that I wanted. I will have to pick up some Americolor and give it a try. Thanks!

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:36am
post #5 of 13

You may want to try a lot of the Wilton no taste red. I got a pretty good red with it with no after taste. I haven't tried the Americolor. I also have some powder that I haven't tried. I heard it is good for true colors but haven't heard anything on the taste.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 13

I decorate frozen custard cakes as a little side job, we use Rich's Bettercreme to ice them. One afternoon I was bored and I decided to play around with the liquid gel colorings they have there (big squeeze bottles that are a lot like Americolors).

I get the BEST red when I mix true red-red with some purple. Add a little purple at a time till you get the desired result. Makes it nice and rich red!

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #7 of 13

I always add a 1/2-3/4 pkg. of red kool aid to make the red taste good.... you don't have that bitter taste from all the gel paste...

jeffer01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #8 of 13

Interesting....now I will try mixing a little purple with red, as well as experimenting with some kool-aid icon_rolleyes.gif I need to take a vacation day just to play!

ck142402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ck142402 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #9 of 13

you can also try adding a little bit of cocoa powder; you will also need to slightly increase your liquid.

Adding a bit of purple is a great idea! I will have to try it next time!

Buttafli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttafli Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 13

Sadly I don't have much time to purchase the Americolor Brand, but I will try adding the purple. Stay tunned, hopefully I will have so cool cupcakes to post by tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:22am
post #11 of 13

Hope this isn't too late.t made cheeseburger cupcakes and..yeah, I needed red for the catsup. All I have is Wilton no taste red and it gave me a deep pink but not catsup-y red. Hmmmmm.. I found a bottle of your generic red food coloring (think Easter eggs?) That real iquidy stuff. Anyway I mixed a couple of squirts in last night and stirred it up, went to work and prayed. When I got home I was DE-lighted to find my deep red I needed....hope this helps you icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:24am
post #12 of 13

I will post the pics now for you too see it... icon_smile.gif

jeffer01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 13

sweet_T7 I love your cheeseburger cupcakes and the red turned out great!!! It would be bad to have pink catsup icon_lol.gif

I have some generic red food coloring that I use in red velvet cake, but didn't think about trying it in my icing. I need to just sit down and experiment with all of the tips!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%