Silly Silly Me

Decorating By TRisser Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 7:28pm by KHalstead

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:12am
post #1 of 22

I know that this isn't a major disaster but I need to tell someone. Last night I made these really cute flip flop cakes. I had been wanting to try and carve cakes but start simple so they seemed alright. I also have just bought a foam roller and wanted to try the whole roller smoothing thing. The cakes turned out great. The cutting was super easy. And the frosting smoothed beautifully. It was late and I've been having a problem with ants in the kitchen and I have two DD's who would love to get their fingers on cake and icing. So I put the cakes in the safest place I could think of--the oven. Well, that was all well and good until I went to cook dinner tonight. icon_surprised.gif Yep I forgot they were in the oven and turned the oven on. icon_redface.gif How silly of me. Oh well, at least they still taste alright. And the BC is super crunchy now.

Anyway, just had to tell someone.

21 replies
o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:20am
post #2 of 22

lol thats classic! one time my aunt cooked something, then put it back in the oven for others to eat when they got home . mind u my aunt DOESNT cook alot, and so no one ever took it out.. and in like a month, she went to cook something else, and there was food all moldy and whatnot.. not to apitizingicon_biggrin.gif

ive heard of someone on this board doing it to a plastic bowl to! oh well.. at least we can decorate cakes VERY nicely!!!!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:22am
post #3 of 22

I have heard of other people doing the same thing on this site so you are not alone!!! And I have to say that when I was reading your post, I was afraid the ants got to the cake so it could have been worse! I bet it won't happen twice!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 22

I did something similar . . . a friend and I made cookies for a bridal shower. We had problems with her dog stealing cookies off the counter, so we slid a few trays of cookies into the oven to keep them away from the dog. I left, and she moved them into the freezer. Took them out, packed them up, and I delivered them the following week to the shower (she went into labor before the shower). I noticed that a lot of the cookies we made were missing - i thought maybe she didn't like some of the cookies, so I asked her what happened to them. She searched high and low - couldn't find them. A few days later, she called me. Her husband found the cookies - in the oven, when he turned it on to make dinner.

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 22

Yup! I've been there! I put about 50 fully decorated Christmas cutouts in the oven, to hide them from my dog. On Plastic trays mind you. And my DH decided to make dinner for the first time in who knows how long. Well I came home to a black ceiling, the smell of burning pastic and him swearing. Oh memories. we just have to laugh these things off.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 22

This is so funny - reminds me of when I was younger, my grandma put hot dog rolls in the oven to warm them.....unforturnately never thought of taking them out of the plastic bag! icon_surprised.gif

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 22

I have a pot with a warped lid handle, I popped it in the oven with full intentions of cleaning it after the company left...Turned the oven on broil HIGH to make a nacho plate the next night...and what is that smell??...LOL

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 22

I have done that twice with plastic.....it is such a nightmare to clean and it still smells like Rubbermade on fire everytime I bake anything. I am often tempted to put stuff in there but then I remember what always happens.

Here is an even more humiliating one icon_redface.gif a couple years ago I had pigged out and eaten all the Dryers coffee icecream icon_surprised.gif and didn't want to put the box in the trash since my husband would see it..... so I stashed it in the oven thinking I would throw it out in the morning.

Of course, I forgot about it and then went to a school meeting that night......so my husband made dinner........and turned the oven on........ when it started smoking, he opened it to find a charred ice-cream container with the spoon still in it! icon_redface.gif

oh, the horror.........

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I have done that twice with plastic.....it is such a nightmare to clean and it still smells like Rubbermade on fire everytime I bake anything. I am often tempted to put stuff in there but then I remember what always happens.

Here is an even more humiliating one icon_redface.gif a couple years ago I had pigged out and eaten all the Dryers coffee icecream icon_surprised.gif and didn't want to put the box in the trash since my husband would see it..... so I stashed it in the oven thinking I would throw it out in the morning.

Of course, I forgot about it and then went to a school meeting that night......so my husband made dinner........and turned the oven on........ when it started smoking, he opened it to find a charred ice-cream container with the spoon still in it! icon_redface.gif

oh, the horror.........

OMG that sounds like something I would do. LOL

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 22

I have a friend (she cooks about once a year) that was so proud of her husband who stopped drinking....until....drum roll....she turned on her oven to bake pies at Thanksgiving, smelled something awful, opened the oven, and............................................beer cans fell out!!!! I have never laughed so hard in my life!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

I have a friend (she cooks about once a year) that was so proud of her husband who stopped drinking....until....drum roll....she turned on her oven to bake pies at Thanksgiving, smelled something awful, opened the oven, and............................................beer cans fell out!!!! I have never laughed so hard in my life!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

OMG, talk about getting caught!! icon_redface.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 22

Hahahaha, these are some great stories that make me feel better. I did about 250 BC roses for a wedding cake and put them on cookie sheets in the oven to dry. Next day turned on the oven to make the cakes and... yep, you know the rest!! Had to bust heinie to remake enough roses!!

Now, whenever I put something in the oven to dry or to hide from cat/hubby/anyone, etc. I put a note on the handle of the oven. It usually says, "NO!! Don't do it! Remember last time?" Or something goofy like that. Or just, "Remove fondant bows before turning oven on!"

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 22

OK my turn... About 14 yrs ago I was going to make a macaroni pie. I had my 13x9 Pyrex dish on the stove top getting ready to butter it. Yep , instead of turning the oven on to preheat it. I turned on the eye of the stove top where I was standing. That dish exploded everywhere. I am blessed to be here & with out a scratch. icon_lol.gif I look in the oven & clear everything off (if possible) BEFORE I cook.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 22

I can't tell you how many plates I ruined like that. My boys used to use the oven as a hiding place for dirty dishes when it was thier turn to clean up.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 22

That is just too funny.....I haven't done anything horrible to any cake stuff yet! But, I left pans in the oven and turned it on before (okay I'll admit it.....a lot!!)...We have to store them in there because there is no other room in the kitchen! I usually freak out when I smell that distinct melting rubber/plastic smell....I guess the melty looking handles give my pots and pans Character!!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 22

I made massive amounts of garlic bread for my daughter's birthday dinner (with 40 family members attending) a few weeks ago. Later that week, I preheated the oven and when I went to put whatever I was making in, I found a cookie sheet with 3 half-loaves of garlic bread on it! It was a little crunchy icon_wink.gif

imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 22

I can relate, for my oldest daughter's BD I had made a fondant plaque with a poem she had written, that I wrote out with a paint brush a food gels (took forever!!), a fondant bookmark and a pencil. Put them on a cookie sheet and into the oven for safe keeping icon_rolleyes.gif Went to put the casserole into the preheated oven for dinner and we all know what I found icon_cry.gif . As for the stove top, I gave up on those pretty burner covers. I went through dozens, within a week at least one would have the tell tale scorch marks. Now every time I stop to look at new ones my husband just smiles and says NO!

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 22

My first Thanksgiving I was making my favorite praline pie you have cook the nuts in the pie crust before you add the pudding so I put it in the oven and take it out just fine put it on the stove and started priking the crust to get the bubles out. All of the sudden there is another bubble and another what the heck???!!!! finnally after the whole bottom of the had turned into one BIG bubble I realized that the BURNER was on!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif luckly once I took it off and let it cool I was able to smooth it out enough to add the pudding icon_biggrin.gif I never put stuff on top of the stove when I take it out of the oven anymore! icon_lol.gif

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 22

Oh that's funny!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #20 of 22

I have something like that. So If at all possible I try and put cakes in the microwave.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:16pm
post #21 of 22

Oh my gosh, I just have had a great time reading these!! I always store left over pizza in the cardboard box in the oven. Yep and I've recooked it in there too icon_lol.gif I think if anyone has never done something like this, then they just don't cook!! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 22

I've probably done it........however I'm so lazy I never preheat......I just turn it on and pop the food in so I usually catch whatever may be in there before it's melted or destroyed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%