Cake Bible Recipe Questions

Decorating By yellowjacket Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 6:19pm by ConnieB

yellowjacket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowjacket Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:48am
post #1 of 24

I just bought The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. The recipes all seem to say it's enough batter for two 9inchx1 1/2 inch deep pans. Does anyone know how many cups of batter this is? I use 2" deep pans, and I'd like to know how many times to multiply the recipe for different size pans.

For those of you who use her recipes, do you measure or weigh your ingredients? Also, does anyone use all-purpose flour in place of cake flour? If so, does is make a difference?

Any favorite recipes I should try first?

Thanks!

23 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #2 of 24

BUMP!

I have had this book for years and it's seriuosly underused. I've been studying it recently though!

Thought the same thing about the size of the cake layers...

yellowjacket Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 24

czyadgrl - Have you tried any of the recipes yet? I have to make a cake tomorrow, and I think I'm going to try the White Chocolate Whisper cake. I've read so many good things about it!

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 24

I love the Cake Bible! My fave is the All American Butter cake, that is the one I make most often. The Mousseline Buttercream recipe is also excellent. (I'll take the leftover whites from the cake and use them to make my buttercream) I think it's the All American Chocolate cake, she said her mother said it tasted like a chocolate bar, it is SO yummy and chocolatey. I've made the pound cake and the white chocolate cream cheese icing. I'm sure I've made something else, but can't remember what. So far, everything in there is wonderful.
I don't know about cups of batter, though. I think one recipe has filled a 10" square, or 1 8" round and 2 6" round. I've just played around with it. She's got a table in the back for making any size cake, but it's kind of a pain. Oh, and I measure my ingredients, I don't have a really accurate scale. And I always use cake flour. It just gives it a lighter texture.
I hope that helps!

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 24

I love that book.. you can really tell which recipes I use...they have all kinddas of stuff on them lol...the cheesecake recipe is my fav..i just recently tried her chocolate cake recipe....(the name escapes me...it is in the butter cake section) but I always use cake flour...I tried the AP but it turned out (to me) like corn bread so...I would just sick with the cake flour

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 24

I love my copy of this book; it's so damaged (binding falling apart, pages no longer attached; lots of spills!!!) ... a book well-loved! I've been begging my family for another copy for years (Xmas, b'day, etc.), but they don't get the hint! Pretty soon it will be out of print and all I'll have is a dilapidated copy!

Fave icing: Mousseline Buttercream ... try the white chocolate version. By itself, it tastes faintly like a root beer float .... mmmmmmmmmm. Second fave icing is white chocolate cream cheese. I have a customer who requests this for every cake!

Fave cake: I think it's called toasted hazelnut, but I'm not sure (am at work - shhhhh...don't tell the boss!), or is it an almond cake???? I don't recall, but it's FAB-u-luss!

I generally will use cake flour if the recipe calls for it, or will lighten AP flour ... depends on the recipe.

I don't weigh ... no accurate scale ... YET. (Hear that, family??? ANOTHER thing you can get me for Christmas!!!!). Just measure accurately and you'll have success.

As for how much to put in the pans, I don't worry about that ... I fill pans to where I know they'll rise the best for me ... if I have more batter, then a little (6") cake for hubby. Either way, we'll all eat cake from that book 'cuz it's good!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 24

I have the same book too and the only thing that has been stopping me from making one of the recipes is that I don't seem to be able to find the "cake flour" where do you ladies buy it? I've been to several grocery stores in my area and no luck... any clues? Thanks so much!

yellowjacket Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 24

Toasted hazelnut sounds delicious...actually, everything does! I'be sure to use cake flour. And I've been needing a good cream cheese frosting recipe, so I'll have to try that one. I can't wait to start cooking!

nefgaby-Cake flour is in most grocery stores, you just have to know what it looks like...I didn't see it at first either. It comes in a box instead of a bag. It should be either by the flour or cake mixes. I know Walmart carries it becuase I've bought it there.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 24

Although some of her cake recipes are hit and miss, the White Velvet Cake is as dry as sand, I love that book and always go back and find something I have missed. I really like her science behind baking. Unfortunately, the formatting for the recipes makes it hard to follow sometimes. I hope that changes with her new cake book due soon.

She has a recipe in the Cake Bible, this is off the top of my head, using pear poaching liquid made into a buttercream that sounds so good. I remember her saying that it was her favorite recipe in the book. I have not tried it yet, but it is on my list. I love anything that includes pears or their flavors.

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 24

Cake flour has been chemically altered with chlorine to increase surface area and decrease the chewey gluten proteins that make good bread. That's why you use it for cakes, it makes them crumbly and soft. If you use regular all purpose flour for cake it will make the cake ALOT more dense and tough. You can replace some of the All Purpose flour with cornstarch and that will make it less tough or If you cannot find cake flour, substitute bleached all purpose flour, but subtract 2 tbsp of flour for each cup used in the recipe (if using volume measuring).
Cake flour is similar to pastry flour or peach flour. If there is a protein percentage on the bag you want a flour with 3%-6% protein content. A lot of pastry chefs mix their own all purpose flour combining different flours (cake, pastry, bread, durum ) and their levels of protein to create an all purpose flour they like.

www.kincaellan.com

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 24

Jeffrey, I love your work, beautiful cakes and sugar art in your gallery. Also, great to see another guy on the forum. thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #12 of 24

Hi Yellowjacket, thanks for that info, I didn't know it came in a box, I always kept on looking on the bagged flour section and I seemed to find everything BUT the cake flour. I'm heading tomorrow to the store with my eyes wide open icon_eek.gif !!! And kincaellan, thanks so much for all that info!!! I felt like I was back in high school in my chemistry class!! icon_biggrin.gif I love to watch Alton Brown's good eats and this is just like it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Thanks again ladies!

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:01am
post #13 of 24

aaahhhh I'm sorry Kincaellan, my bad for assuming all CC members are women! I just clicked on the link to your website and OMG! Amazing work! ...and you are a boy icon_redface.gif

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:10am
post #14 of 24

Yes I am a boy, but as soon as I lose these last 10 lbs I'll look great in a dress, if the need ever arises...not soon though. I just updated the gallery on the site so go back and see the new stuff.

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:31am
post #15 of 24

WOW, your work is absolutely amazing!! Really, I have no words... and your background is impressive!!! You have a gift and are truly talented ...and funny too. Thanks for shearing your gallery!

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:13am
post #16 of 24

OMG kincaellan, your work is magnificent. I love your pulled sugar wedding rings. The swans are gorgeous too!

nikic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikic Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #17 of 24

I love her white velvet cake and buttercreams.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:37pm
post #18 of 24

I have that book also and it's my favorite. the buttercream cake is the best. nice and buttery and soft. i have to try other cakes, but i keep going back o that one.
Jeff, excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:06pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

... I don't seem to be able to find the "cake flour" where do you ladies buy it? I've been to several grocery stores in my area and no luck... any clues? Thanks so much!

Look on the top shelves, near the bagged flour which is almost always down low. You are looking for a BOX. "Swan's Down" is one brand that I have used with great success in the past. It's consistently good.

Hope this helps,

Odessa

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #20 of 24

The box is red with a white swann on it!

usaribbon.gif

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks soo much for the info on the cake flour! I'm headed to my local super walmart and look for a red box with white swan... eyes wide open icon_eek.gif !

ConnieB Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 24

Good luck, and I hope you find it.

Let us know if you need more help!

Here is a link I thought you might want to see!

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciqgg.htm

usaribbon.gif

nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:12pm
post #23 of 24

Hi ConnieB!! Thanks so much for the link, it is awesome and great to know! And YEEEEEEEAH! I FOUND CAKE FLOUR! I can't believe it, it was right in the upper shelf at the Walmart, I never expected a box, I always looked for a bag. Anyway, thanks soo much for all your help, the tip on the red and white swan made it soo much easier! Thanks again!

ConnieB Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:19pm
post #24 of 24

Your so very welcome, and GOOD LUCK with your cake, let us know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%