Starburst Roses....

Decorating By SugarHighCakes Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 5:54am by cakesbyjess

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:42am
post #1 of 16

So... Im in the culinary arts program at my college, and my chef was talking to the culinary arts director at my school about me, and together they decided they want me to make a large boquet centerpiece of roses made from tootsie rolls and starbursts for a banquet meeting thing.

Ive made plenty of tootsie roll roses, but what about starbursts?

Is the technique the same? If it is, im good to go. Otherwise, what should I be aware of or anything special I should do?

I have to make them in class tomorrow and I would like to NOT look clueless icon_smile.gif

THanks!

15 replies
amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #2 of 16

I am not sure but here is a bump....

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:29am
post #3 of 16

I've never made either. Not sure how, but I would imagine that since the textures and solidity are the same in both candies than the mechanism for making them should be pretty similar. IF you don't mind me asking, how do you make a tootsie roll rose? Anyway here's a bump for you. icon_smile.gif

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:37am
post #4 of 16

PieceOfCake61804-

If you don't mind sharing I'd love the recipe for the tootsie rolls.

And the starburst if someone got it.

Thanks

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:46am
post #5 of 16

I believe the technique is the same. The starbursts do not soften as easily as the tootsie rolls. I always just hold the tootsie rolls or put them in my pocket for a few minutes. The starbursts might take a little longer to get pliable.

Cindy

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:32am
post #6 of 16

I have made roses out ot starbursts before. Just takes some patience to warm them up for shaping. I have not tried this, but put one in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and see if this helps warm them up. HTH

Patrice

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 16

Starbursts are the same. I like them since it is easy to divide them into 9 pieces. They are a little firmer, but after handling them a little bit they warm up. Also you can put them in the microwave from 5 to 10 seconds to warm them.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 16

Does anybody have a picture of a starburst rose that they can post. I would like to see how they turn out. TIA

heather15b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather15b Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 16

Could someone please forward me the instructions for those roses? I have never seen them before and am very curious!! icon_biggrin.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 16

I use the flavored tootsie rolls, (cherry, orange, lime, etc) and they taste just like starburst. I put them in the microwave still in their wrapper but for only 2 seconds. They explode after about 4 seconds. icon_eek.gif

I have never made roses but I make other flowers, balls, shapes, etc.

Good Luck and would love to see the final project. icon_smile.gif

bj

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 16

They are just like making the tootsie roll roses, you can warm them in the microwave for about 6 secs, dont go more in the beginning until you know how long it takes. I noticed that the red ones are stickier than the rest, dont know why or if all packs are like that. here is a pic of one i did. Please post a pic when you are done, i would love to see how your bouquet looks.
LL

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 16

if you look in the gallery in the Gumpaste/Sugarpaste/Marzipan album you will find some examples of starburst and tootsie roll roses.
Here is just one of them i found.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_68115.html
I believe you make them a lot like a fondant rose, but you have to warm the tootsie roll or starburst up a little to get it pliable. also, you cut the candies up into small pieces for each petal.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 16

Very cool...thanks debbie2881!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 16

OOps..the link isn't working?

janicemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:54am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPaloma

OOps..the link isn't working?

For some reason the links shown in the photo gallery are off by one "_". So here is the correct link from lilypie ... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-68115.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%