Luster Dust Non-Edible?

Decorating By FreshAir Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 10:45pm by Kate714

FreshAir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreshAir Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:13am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys! I was just looking around online for luster dust & I pulled up a site that offered petal dust, luster dust & highlighting dust, but there was a dislcaimer on the page. It said "Although these items are classified as "edible" in Europe in the United States they are classed as "NON-TOXIC FOR DECORATION ONLY" AND NOT considered edible. Buy at your own discretion." I've never used any of these before but I've seen some beautiful cakes on this site that have used them & I was wanting to order some. Now I'm not so sure. Has anyone ever heard of what they're saying in this disclaimer?

8 replies
FreshAir Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:41am
post #2 of 9

I didn't see this come up on the home page so let me try this bump thing again. Here goes..........

BUMP

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #3 of 9

yes, I have heard this before. I think from what I have heard, it is only bad in very large amounts...someone correct me if I'm wrong?? But people seem to use it all the time, so....

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #4 of 9

Try this..http://paylesscakedecor.com/lusterdust1.htm or Payless Cake Decor
I've been using this kind in the past 12 years. on al;l my cake decorating needs.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:50am
post #5 of 9

Most people still use them anyway. Look at in comparisson to all the crayons you ate as a kid ! icon_lol.gif No one is going to eat an entire cake his/herself that is covered in luster dust, for one and usually you don't eat cake everyday that would be covered in luster dust. There are specific colors that most of the sites will tell that you definitely do not want to consume at all because of the ceratain metals that are used to make them. This would also include the gold and silver highlighter dusts. If I use those, they are on pieces that are to be removed from the cake before consumption.

FreshAir Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 9

This may sound like a stupid question, but are luster dusts made from metal then??

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir

This may sound like a stupid question, but are luster dusts made from metal then??

Certain colors have Iron Blue or Chromium Oxide in them and those should be used for decorative purposes only. All the other are made from non-toxic substances.

Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

the luster dusts I just ordered on ebay say they contain one or more of the following:

Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Carmine, Mica

Are these all bad?

Kate714 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

does anyone know??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%