Marzipan Cake Covering Question

Decorating By PeopleTreats Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 12:23pm by PeopleTreats

PeopleTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeopleTreats Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake to do for October... and I plan to use a 1:2 ratio of Marzipan to FondX. I'm looking for a light-tan tint, and a bit of a vanilla/almond flavor. So for color/flavor, I'm all set. HOWEVER, here's my question:
FondX can be refrigerated and Marzipan must be left out to cure, like Fondant... what do I do? I'm assuming the usual Fondant routine is in order here, leave it out to dry. I'd prefer to refrigerate, but I'm certainly not going to take any chances with someone's wedding cake...

So, my question is this: what's the best method here... AND, how long do you think I can leave it out for while the Marzipan drys? 4 or 5 days?

Someone please help!

Thanks,
Diana
icon_smile.gif

2 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 3

Marzipan takes a day to dry out - it's not really 'sticky' to start with and once mixed with fondant can be handled very like fondant. It does get sweaty when refrigerated - but so does fondant. I guess I'm a bit confused about your question really.

PeopleTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeopleTreats Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 3

Well FondX is not exactly "fondant" - so that's probably where you're confused. It's able to be refrigerated, and other than that, behaves just like fondant.

But regardless of that, you mentioned that Marzipan does not refrigerate well at all. Therefore, I'll just leave it out to cure. I don't want to make any silly mistakes like causing the Marzipan to sweat.

So, really, you answered my question! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%