Sugar-Free Cake/icing? Is This Possible?

Decorating By caprica Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm by jguilbeau

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all-
I hope this is the right forum for this question:

Is it possible to make a sugarfree cake w/ icing? One with buttercream icing, etc. I wasn't sure if you can make consistent icing without confectionary sugar. Please help- My father is diabetic and their anniversary is coming up. I want this cake to be VERY special. icon_smile.gif

My second concern is: I've heard that sugar-substitute, because of it's sugar alcohol content, can cause gastro-intestinal "problems"... much like olestra. thumbsdown.gif Is there any truth to this?

I honestly need as much info (recipe, etc) as possble and would really appreciate ANY help. detective.gif

Thanks again everyone-

3 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 4

I had some help last week with this issue, and was directed to the Splenda site, ladycakes site, epicurious, and diabetic all recipes. If you are looking for a cake and icing that comes out like your normal, wonderful cake, good luck to you. I made a recipe from Splenda that tasted good, but the cakes will never be as light and fluffy as normal if you are using a sugar substitute.

I found a cream cheese icing using a sugar substitute as well-it was okay. I was unhappy turning the cake to the customer because it just wasn't as good as my usual cakes. THEY loved it because their palates are used to diabetic foods. My suggestion is to make a fabulous normal cake, but either make a small diabetic cake made special just for dad or let him eat a tiny bit of your normal cake and actually enjoy it.

If anyone has REALLY found fabulous cakes though, I'd love to know about them too. I just don't think it's possible.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 4

I have not tried any of these recipies yet but I'm pretty sure in the recipes section here at cc you can find a category with sugar free recipies. I know I wrote down one for icing that uses dried milk as the powdered sugar replacement. If you can't find it pm me and I will send it to you. LIke I said I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure how well it works, but I'd be happy to share if you need it!

Sue

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

My suggestion is to make a fabulous normal cake, but either make a small diabetic cake made special just for dad or let him eat a tiny bit of your normal cake and actually enjoy it.

I second this suggestion, I myself am borderline diabetic. The other guest should not to have to eat a sugar free cake if they don't need to. And depending on how bad your Dad's diabete's is either a small personal cake for him, or a small slice of the normal cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%