Is There A Tutorial For How To Make A Hibiscus

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 2:26am by evieg

doodlebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugs Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 8

I have an order for a hawaiian themed cake tomorrow and would like to make some hibiscus flowers to put on it. Is there a place that offers a tutorial on these or could anyone offer any tips on how to do these. Thanks in advance!

7 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know how to do these either. I hope someone answers so that I can learn also. Sorry I can't help you.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8

Hello,

I have a couple cakes in my pictures with my version of fondant Hibiscus flowers on them. Take a look and if you want directions, just PM me.

Julie icon_smile.gif

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:29am
post #4 of 8

i was browsing through the template section of the galleries and i saw where someone posted directions on how to do the hibiscus. it's on the first page of templates in the middle of the gallery.
hope that helps.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #5 of 8

I took a class on it back in March. I can pass on to you what I know if you'd like!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebugs

I have an order for a hawaiian themed cake tomorrow and would like to make some hibiscus flowers to put on it. Is there a place that offers a tutorial on these or could anyone offer any tips on how to do these. Thanks in advance!

You neglected to say what type of material you wanted to use to create your flower. Buttercream, royal icing, gumpaste?

For Buttercream or royal icing hibiscus:
Insert cut stamen into a small sausage shaped piece of fondant or gumpaste (this can actually be made out of royal icing but that's another story). Set aside to harden. Use tip 103/104 (or similar shape) and pipe a petunia using the lily flower nail. Insert flower pistil in to the center of the petunia.

How to make a petunia?

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/petunia.cfm

OK Gumpaste:

Roll out a small sausage of gumpaste and insert floral wire ( I don't have my charts with me to tell you The gauge). On the other end insert cut stamen. Let this dry.

Roll out gumpaste and insert thin floral wire into gumpaste and cut out the petal. Use a veiner and then "ball" the edges of the cut out to make it thin. Place the wired petal on a flower former to dry. When everything is all dried, wire and tape the petals to the pistil.

I hope this helps a bit.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:05am
post #7 of 8

Yep, thats what I would of said if you wanted gumpaste.

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #8 of 8

bananabread put some hibiscus instructions in the galleries template seccion i not remenber is the instructions are in spanish or english but if you have any questions send her a pm she speak english too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%