Seashells, Coral, Starfish

Decorating By kimberly_4209 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 10:36am by michaelharris9

kimberly_4209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly_4209 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a seashell wedding cake in november. I haven't any experience with seashells, coral, starfish. I was thinking chocolate molds? Anyone know where I could find good ones. Also how to create real like coral, seashells, and starfish? Thank you so much! I will post a photo of the cake the bride wants, it will be VERY similar.
LL

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 9

Yep, chocolate molds. Just Google it. I'm lucky to have a retailer nearby that literally carries 100s of chocolate molds. The coral is just freehanded.

ebbsplace4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebbsplace4cakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

Seashells are very simple to make however, acquiring the perfect look when decorating will take some practice. Since the cake isn't until november, you have plenty of time to practice. Go to your local bakery supply store and buy the candy shell molds that you prefer. I would choose a variety of molds because each one may have something unique that you may want to incorporate.

Next buy melting white chocolate chips. It comes in a little bag and in different colors, but I advised the white because you are going to paint them.

Making the molds: heat about a half cup of the white chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 secs. in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Take out and stir quickly. Chocolate will begin to melt down. Put in for another 10sec. and stir. The chocolate should be melted now.

Place the heated chocolate inside of a small plastic sandwhich bag. seal the top and squeeze all of the chocolate into one of the corners, cut a small hole in that corner (very small) and simply squeeze the melted chocolate into the molds.

Place molds into the freezer for about 10 min. Take them out and give them a slight tap on the counter and they should pop right out.

Now you are ready to paint them with what I call pixie dust...lol I am not sure what it is called but your bakery supply store will be able to tell you.

*You can use grahm cracker crumbs for sand.

Good luck! Let me know how they turn out!

Check out my page, I did a baby shower cake with a beach theme.
Ebb's Place for Cakes
www.myspace.com/ebbsplace4cakes

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 9

I made a seashell cake for my daughter's sweet sixteen party. I bought shell molds from Michaels and Hobby Lobby. You can also find them in the soap/candle amd candy making area of the stores. They were very easy to make using whte chocolate melts. Putting the molds in the refrigerator speeds up the process. I made the coral by piping melted chocolate onto wax paper. I placed a drawing of the coral behind the wax paper. It was very easy to do. Then I used crushed graham crackers for the sand if you need sand for your cake. Good luck with your cake!!!!

ghghgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghghgh Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 9

I have done several beach themed cakes using choc molds. I purchase all of mine at country kitchen sweet art, they have hundreds.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 9

I did a seashell themed wedding cake (in photos), and I got my molds from www.cakesbysam, they were silicone molds. I used gumpaste for my shells, I just like the way it looks better than chocolate. They look more realistic. I did use chocolate for coral and I piped it over crushed ice, and it worked really well. Good Luck! They are really fun to do!

kimberly_4209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly_4209 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much everyone for the tips and advice. Great detail on how to make the molds was great, and I will definitly use the great idea for the coral over crushed ice, didn't think of that!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #8 of 9

just did a luau cake and I used come chocolate decos but also I used molded sugar which was really easy and they look more like real shells and they glisten some..I am sorry but I just went to ask.com and put in molded sugar decorations. It contained sugar and water and mer.powder.and then you baked...it was really interesting. you can see the cake i did at www.myspace/mymomandmecakes.com

michaelharris9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michaelharris9 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:36am
post #9 of 9

Hello,

Such a wonder........! it's really unique cake even distinguish design.

Thanks

Regards
Michael Harris
Starfish Wedding Cake Toppers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%