Train Cake - Pricing

Decorating By ch0psuey Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 3:43am by jibbies

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 14

I'm doing a retirement party cake for a friend of mine later this year (for her father), and she told me she wants me to give her a real price for the cake. No discounts.

This is what I'm making:

18x12 one layer with buttercream with the Williams Sonoma train on top. (Her dad is a train enthusiast.)

The 18x12 will have minimal, if any, decorations on it, maybe just a border around it. The main decoration will be the train.

So what do you think?

13 replies
ch0psuey Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 14

anyone? please?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 14

what size is the train? About how many servings?

For the sheet cake I charge $1.50/serving (2x2x2 serving size)
For the train I would charge $3.00/serving This is my base price for anything that is not a regular pan shape (rectangle, round, square, hex, petal etc...)

So for the sheet cake my price would be $81.00 (54 servings)
Make sure you cover yourself on the time you will spend decorating that train.

Edited to finish uncomplete thought in orginal post

satgirlga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satgirlga Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 14

I'm estimating that this size cake will serve around 49 people? So according to what I charge, I would probably charge around $85-90. I can't quite get away with charging a full $2 per serving where I live. So I usually go with about 1.75 a serving. Hope this helps.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 14

I'm so sorry I'm not able to help you with the pricing but I just wanted to say that this is going to be one fantastic cake. I can hardly wait to see it. It sounds absolutely perfect for this person. Good luck and I'll be waiting to see this one.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 14

That train will be a pain to decorate. The cars are so small.

I would charge $45 for the sheet cake. Depending on how realistic and detailed you are going with the train would determine my price. I would start at $30 and go up from there.

$75-$100

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0psuey

I'm doing a retirement party cake for a friend of mine later this year (for her father), and she told me she wants me to give her a real price for the cake. No discounts.

This is what I'm making:

18x12 one layer with buttercream with the Williams Sonoma train on top. (Her dad is a train enthusiast.)

The 18x12 will have minimal, if any, decorations on it, maybe just a border around it. The main decoration will be the train.

So what do you think?

Its really hard to tell someone else what to charge for a cake cause it all works around a few things..
1.. YOUR Cost
2.. YOUR Area

I would not do this cake for anything less then $75 the lowest...

If you know how to use Excel make a spread sheet and in there put all of your prices and how much your going to use so you know what the cost if for this cake and then deside how much you want to charge over your cost.. 2 times 5 times... ECT and make sections in your spread sheet for this and then that is prices you can charge for your cakes..

There is going to be a LOT of work to do on them mini trains that your going to put on the 12x18 sheet cake even thought there may not be a lot of work on the sheet cake there is a lot of work on them trains..
YOUR going to want to have mostly a track and some trees on the sheet cake ect so there is going to be some work there too...

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 14

I would start at 35.00 for the sheetcake, especially it's minimally decorated. Then depending on the train Charge accordingly. If You are using a train mold(which is what I thought I read) How many cake boxes does it take, how much time do you spend, etc...?

I'd think $60+ would be a good starting rate.

cCc

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 14

I charge $35.00 for a 12x 18, 1 layer, and $25.00 for flat character cakes, I don't know what the WS train pan looks like but I'm guessing it's similar to the Wilton train pan(flat one) so put them together and I would charge $60.00
Hope this helps

jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 14

I charge $35.00 for a 12x 18, 1 layer, and $25.00 for flat character cakes, I don't know what the WS train pan looks like but I'm guessing it's similar to the Wilton train pan(flat one) so put them together and I would charge $60.00
Hope this helps

ch0psuey Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 14

If it helps -- Williams Sonoma train is a link in the original post, so you can see what that looks like.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 14

Ok so are you doing the Whole train cake? If so I think that cake is about 45.-50. dollars on it's own. And that is on the cheap side.

The pan it's self is 34.00 and that doesn't include Tax.

I think if you charge 50.00 (for train)then you'll pay for your pan and ingredients of both cakes.

So that would be about 85.00 minimum for the whole thing.

cCc

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 14

$100

jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #14 of 14

OK let me change that price! (I viewed the pan, sorry I didn't even pay attention that there was a link) still $35 for the sheet but no less than $50.00 for the train so $85.00 minimum
Please post a picture of it when you get done
Happy baking Ch0psuey
Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%