100 Layers?

Decorating By JennieB Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 11:12am by ZAKIA6

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 25

How the heck did they make this cake icon_surprised.gif
I found this searching the internet any ideas?

24 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 25

I've seen one of these in person. Seems to be popular in this area of NC

When I asked how, the first they looked at me like I was some kind of Yankee (I am!) -- as in how clueless can you be!

they then went on to explain:

one technique is to literally bake each layer separately.

some told me they did it by using a cookie sheet and spreading batter very thin -- like making a thin pancake -- then baking. that thin it only takes a few minutes (something like 5-10).

then they use a cutter to get them round.

then stack and ice, stack and ice.

and according to the same lady -- there are some little ol' grandmas around who are so talented w/ a knife they just slice a regular layer over and over very thinly to do it.

however -- I cannot confirm the knife technique.

Martha Stewart has a version of the individual baked layers on her site, called a Crepe Cake

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=48ff759a3ac0f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=crepe%20cake&rsc=ns2006_pic_m2

JennieB Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 25

Thanks Doug maybe I will give this a try. I have to find a really good filling since there will so much of it thumbs_up.gif

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 25

looks cool but I would be afraid it would be really sweet because of the amount of filling.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 25

my initial thought was that they were actually crepes and not cake..

It does look cool! and I bet it's delicious!!

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 25

I've seen those cakes before and they are made of crepes.
For the Crepes:
2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
they're really easy to make in an omelette pan and I've seen that cake made with ganache in between the layers or with nutella (which is my FAVORITE!!!! YUMMY!!!!)

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 25

Can't think of the name of that really good cake leveler off hand....but they did a demo at one of the ICES conventions a few years ago. They were cutting a cake into paper thin layers! Each cut pieces was paper thin...and he just kept lowering the blade and slicing off the pieces! NOT the Wilton one...the GOOD one! It was a room temperature cake...a good firm cake.

ladybuglau Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 25

I'd LOVE to know where I could get that cake leveler bisbqueenb. The wilton one stinks, I can never get even slices unless I have a 2nd set of hands

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

Can't think of the name of that really good cake leveler off hand....but they did a demo at one of the ICES conventions a few years ago. They were cutting a cake into paper thin layers! Each cut pieces was paper thin...and he just kept lowering the blade and slicing off the pieces! NOT the Wilton one...the GOOD one! It was a room temperature cake...a good firm cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

I'd LOVE to know where I could get that cake leveler bisbqueenb. The wilton one stinks, I can never get even slices unless I have a 2nd set of hands

it's the Agbay

http://www.agbayproducts.com/

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 25

Do you know what filling they were using in this one?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 25

Cool looking cake, I have an agbay, maybe I will try those thin layers one day. I would need to find a filling that is not too sweet.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 25

I have that recipe... Roanoke Sixteen Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake. Not 100... But, you could probably make one with that many should it strike your fancy! Recipe is long... and involved but if any one wants it let me know and I will post it. You have to make each layer individually... sheesh! I sweat the regular one... can't even imagine!!!

TripleTrouble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TripleTrouble Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 25

I would be interested in having the recipe, please. Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know what filling they were using in this one?

The link says Hazelnut. I think Nutella WOULD be a great and less espensive alternative!

I'm going to have to try this soon! Yummy!

JennieB Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm
post #15 of 25

Thanks everyone for your replies
I think this cake is very impressive looking I will probably give it a try.

Tyty could you share the cost of your wonderful tool I also purchased the Wilton one that dosen't work very well.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 25

my brother-in-laws mom does a cake similar to this. it is an old german recipe called spatkugen (sp?) and it is made by layering graham crackers and chocolate. as the cake sits, the choc softens the crackers and makes it just like cake!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaela

I have that recipe... Roanoke Sixteen Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake. Not 100... But, you could probably make one with that many should it strike your fancy! Recipe is long... and involved but if any one wants it let me know and I will post it. You have to make each layer individually... sheesh! I sweat the regular one... can't even imagine!!!

I'd like the recipe too, please. icon_smile.gif

I just love a challenge. icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:18pm
post #18 of 25

They had that on Sugar Rush one time. I swore they said crepes. I think the dessert crepes on allrecipes is great. Just make sure you put it in the blender. Makes it less bumpy.

ladybuglau Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #19 of 25

thanks Doug!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:47am
post #20 of 25

I read about something like this. The person turned the cake pans upside down and sprayed the underneath bottom of the cake pans , dropped a small measured amount of cake batter and swirled it around and then baked them for a short amount of time and they slid off easily after baking.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:26am
post #21 of 25

I believe that is a Mille Crepe. I have had it filled with Nutella and very thin banana slices, it is delicious!

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:03pm
post #22 of 25

I posted the recipe under another thread... I titled it 100 layer/16 layer cake recipe. Thanks!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:44am
post #23 of 25

Ok, yesterday my hubby and I went to our favorite Korean grocery store and we sampled something truly delicious!! It was something called "Chinese-Style Chestnut Filled Cake."

They looked like little pancake sandwiches, but tasted like the most decadent dessert I've ever eatten! I thought of this thread the moment I tasted them.

Soon as I got home I started a google search for the filling, and I found this recipe!! Amazing!! I think it's exactly what you need to do this cake!! I'm going to try it this month as a "back to school" thing.

Here's the link so you can go and check it out for yourselves. If nothing else the filling alone is worth the looksie!!

http://www.recipezaar.com/143218

nickir0108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickir0108 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:58am
post #24 of 25

I'm also from NC and yes those cakes are very popular around here. I've never done one myself, but my great aunt does them and she uses the knife technique and slices the layers herself. She uses a cooked chocolate frosting. And it is delicious!!!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:12am
post #25 of 25

those types of cakes are popular here in nyc. It has about 20 layers and costs $65. They are made w/crepes and a vanilla custard filling. since it is made withe crepes there is no worrying about slicing/leveling.

http://www.ladymconfections.com/millecrepes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%