Icing Seeping Out

Decorating By mrhoss Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm by Sweetcakes23

mrhoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrhoss Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 5

I made a cake last night. It's filled with buttercream and covered in fondant with 3 layers. THis morning, the buttercream was seepign out the bottom of the fondant. Now there's a big airbubble in the fondant and it's still leaking out. WHat makes this happen and how to I fix/prevent it?

Meg

4 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

I'm guessing you put too much filling in your cake. I normally let my iced cakes in BC rest overnight before I cover in fondant. Cake has a funny way of moving things around icon_lol.gif

sbarri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbarri Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 5

right on...i think too much icing...i have had that happen before when the person i am baking for wants lots of buttercream... icon_lol.gif wipe away!

queentinam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queentinam Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 5

The same thing happened this morning to a cake for a baby shower. I've never had this happen, and have used fondant tons. I made a fresh strawberry filling, and although i used plenty of dowels the top layer seemed a little too heavy. It's a little humid here today too, so I'm extra nervous. Anyways, it was bulging out with air bubbles. It looked like the filling was spilling out, but just air. I couldn't get it to lay flat. I've never encountered this problem before. What to do? I didn't have enough fondant to take it off and start over. I'm just dumbfounded. Any advice?

-tina

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 5

When you first laid the fondant on cake, did you use fondant smoother to smooth from the center out? That is important to get the initial air bubbles out.
About the best thing you can do if you don't have enough to remove and do over is, take tiny sharp, clean needle and poke tiny hole in side of air bubble then gently press air out and it should lay down flat for you. But, don't mess with it too much or you will have dimples....
Use the fondant smoother to smooth.
Keep in refrig. to keep humidity problem under control.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%