Whan An Insult Stepson And Fiance...urrrgh(Venting Long)

Decorating By jarjam1026 Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 6:07am by mommachris

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 51

Okay, my stepson and his "thing" are getting married in May, of course they told me they wanted me to make the cake.(free of charge of course). So i said "cool". my DH gave them some money apart from the Cake that i would be baking. So it stayed as is. "She" let me know what kind of cake she wanted. It was the 3 tiered cake on the latest wilton tiered cakes magazine.(pink and white)I said i can do that so i made one and emailed them the pic of it. they said they really liked it. mind you it was a cake i had baked for the family but decided to try to decorate it just for the heck of it.
They live 2hrs away and have lived together for 4 years, so he calls my DH and says they would be coming in this weekend to go do some taste testing at some catering places and icon_mad.gif ask if it was possible for me to bake them a cake for them to taste. Wanted white cake and pineapple filling and want me to decorate it the way they want it. icon_mad.gif At this point i am a tad upset and just blow it off. He calls again today and tells me they would be coming in next weekend in stead and would like a cake for them to taste. icon_mad.gif *^^%$*$)$ He has had my cake for the past 15 years and she has had them for the past 5 and is still asking for a sample. icon_mad.gif B*#^%!
Well i called my husband and told him i would not be doing their cake afterall. icon_mad.gif I told him they could go somewhere else and pay for it if they want . And he agreed. Its not like they're paying for the cake and its not like they've never had it either. WHAT AN INSULT. WELL i think i'm done venting. DH said if they still want me to make it, he would charge them full price for it icon_lol.gif thanks for reading. \\\\

can i have some Input please.

50 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #2 of 51

Taste testing a free cake is a bit of an imposition. I probably would have said no the first time. Stick to your guns.

You could be like Duff. He does wedding cakes for friends, free, ONLY if he has complete control over the cake.

I love that.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:31am
post #3 of 51

first, can we get 3 cheers for the husband for supporting you?

----------------

as for tasting -- have you made this exact combo before for them to taste?

if not -- seems reasonable to want to preview the combo before it becomes their wedding cake.

-------

as for decorating it -- fuhgeddabouit!!!! -- that's just too much to ask.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:34am
post #4 of 51

I would probably offer to stand up and bend over so it would be easier for them to take a flyin' kiss at my a-- ...... well, you know.! icon_twisted.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 51

I think it's best for all parties concerned that you do not make their wedding cake.

jarjam1026 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:41am
post #6 of 51

Doug: Yes i have made this combo, and many others that they have had.

Indydebi: i have to agree, they can just kiss it if they want. ... Well i wouldnt even give them that pleasure anymore.

Thanks for the support. he called @6pm tonite and i'm still fuming

1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #7 of 51

I agree with everyone before me.
stick to your guns!

My question is if they are not getting married until May, that is next year, this is August. Do you know how many times they could change their minds about flavor and designs????

Do they think you will do sample cakes of all their changes also?

As a famous little boy would say "good grief"

salome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salome Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:10am
post #8 of 51

Indydeb, my stomach still hurts from laughing icon_lol.gif and you are totally right thats just what those two lunatics should do. Humph!!! the nerve of some people a FREE cake and still giving hard time!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:15am
post #9 of 51

Me too. Such a supportive husband. Well done to him. You don't deserve to be treated like that - especially not by family!

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:24am
post #10 of 51

I don't know, maybe he doesn't realize he insulted you? I'd explain it to him, first: Let him know he's tried this combination. Tell him to leave it to you, not to worry ,and just be grateful he's being saved what could be 1,000 dollars! He should know no matter what the flavor it'll be incredible and a great cake.
If he still feels like he needs to have a taste, then I'd say no way!

I'm glad your not just letting this slide ,and your husband is supporting you!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:47am
post #11 of 51

Ditto to what everyone else has said. If they have lived together that many years, I would think they are making a big deal out of this wedding with caterers and tastings (JMO). In nine months they could change their minds several times as to what they expect of you. Kudos to your husband for sticking up for you.

Diane

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:47am
post #12 of 51

Even if you do happen to make this cake, "SHE" is going to have something insulting to say about the way it was made or the decorations etc.
No, I also wouldn't do it, stick to your guns!!
They are trying to p#$@ you off somehow, because they don't want you to make this cake for them!!!!!
And, I take my hat off to your husband for standing by your, not everyday
you get a husband that will stand by you!!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would probably offer to stand up and bend over so it would be easier for them to take a flyin' kiss at my a-- ...... well, you know.! icon_twisted.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love indydebi!

icon_lol.gif

And I agree with you and the other posters....They are acting completely ungrateful and ridiculous. He's had your cake for years, she's had your cake for years. Let them pay someone else full price if they want the "star" treatment they're asking for. And give your hubby a big ole' kiss for sticking up for you.

icon_evil.gif Hopefully they won't make it to May, then you won't have to live with her for a (step) daughter in law the rest of your life!

Shelle

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 51

Indydebi - you are hilarious!

Good for you (and here's another nod to your husband for supporting your decision)!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 51

I'm so glad your husband is supporting you... I can't believe your son would do that! Definately not a freebie for them... I think I'd even charge for the tasting! It probably is a better idea to have nothing to do with their cake... Support them in their tastings and explain that you'll be able to enjoy the wedding festivities more completely with out cake taking up the whole time!

good luck...

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:30pm
post #16 of 51

You make sure you give that man of yours a big Ol kiss and hug and let your step son and monster in law to go to walmart...they will make them a cake for cheap. thumbs_up.gif

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:30pm
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretDeprived

I don't know, maybe he doesn't realize he insulted you? I'd explain it to him, first: Let him know he's tried this combination. Tell him to leave it to you, not to worry ,and just be grateful he's being saved what could be 1,000 dollars! He should know no matter what the flavor it'll be incredible and a great cake.
If he still feels like he needs to have a taste, then I'd say no way!

I'm glad your not just letting this slide ,and your husband is supporting you!

I totally agree, why dont you tell then everything you are telling us...and stick to your guns

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 51

Sounds to me like they are doing the "posta" method .....

You're posta get free samples of everything when you plan a wedding ...

but not if your MOM is doing it!

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:43pm
post #19 of 51

Doing the wrong thing here could create some long lasting problems and resentments. Granted they are being ridiculous, but lots of people get wierd as they plan their wedding. What I would do is treat their time with you as a visit. If (when) they ask about the tasting, I would just laugh and say you thought they were kidding as they have been eating your cake for years and go on to say that they have nothing to worry about you have the cake thing under control. I have 3 step children and my husband would defend me if needed, but they are the light of my life. On the other hand if I mean mouthed them he wouldn't attack me but his heart would be hurt. In this case I would put my dear husband's heart first. Now if the kid is a jerk, always has been a jerk and always will be a jerk, that is different. I'm thinking he just has the wedding wierds right now.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #20 of 51

I think that if you AND your wonderful husband agree, then you're doing the right thing.

What a good hubby!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:56pm
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

Doing the wrong thing here could create some long lasting problems and resentments. Granted they are being ridiculous, but lots of people get wierd as they plan their wedding. What I would do is treat their time with you as a visit. If (when) they ask about the tasting, I would just laugh and say you thought they were kidding as they have been eating your cake for years and go on to say that they have nothing to worry about you have the cake thing under control. I have 3 step children and my husband would defend me if needed, but they are the light of my life. On the other hand if I mean mouthed them he wouldn't attack me but his heart would be hurt. In this case I would put my dear husband's heart first. Now if the kid is a jerk, always has been a jerk and always will be a jerk, that is different. I'm thinking he just has the wedding wierds right now.

Ditto.
If they are jerks and have been jerks, then I say stand your ground. But if they are just being weird about the wedding, that's a little different. Do they just love your cakes? Maybe they are just trying to decide which combo is their favorite? I don't see any harm in making a little white cake with pineapple filling for the weekend. Nothing decorated or fancy in any way. Just like something you would make for dessert if company was coming over for dinner. Even talk to them and say "Look, If you'd like me to do your cake, I'd love to. But I completely understand if you have someone else in mind. It's your wedding and this should not have to cause any of us friction. You have plenty of time to choose a flavor and design, so let me know by (insert month) what you'd like and let's not make any changes after that date to save the sanity of ALL of us!!" icon_biggrin.gif

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #22 of 51

I can see how these things happen... having step children and living in a his and mine world. However, I stand up and applaud your husband! Well done! It is very difficult to be a step family. I think... to save the family a lot of grief... a heart to heart is in order... be honest about how you feel. We try to do that here and sometimes it is hard... and things are hard to hear... but in the end... everyone knows where they stand. Just my thoughts on the matter... and if that doesn't work.... I'd go with indydebi's idea.... icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:09pm
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

Ditto.

If they are jerks and have been jerks, then I say stand your ground. But if they are just being weird about the wedding, that's a little different. Do they just love your cakes? Maybe they are just trying to decide which combo is their favorite? I don't see any harm in making a little white cake with pineapple filling for the weekend. Nothing decorated or fancy in any way. Just like something you would make for dessert if company was coming over for dinner. Even talk to them and say "Look, If you'd like me to do your cake, I'd love to. But I completely understand if you have someone else in mind. It's your wedding and this should not have to cause any of us friction. You have plenty of time to choose a flavor and design, so let me know by (insert month) what you'd like and let's not make any changes after that date to save the sanity of ALL of us!!" icon_biggrin.gif

I get the impression that since in the first post she refered to the couple as "Stepson and Thing" that there is way more to it than just this cake.

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 51

I have a step-son who is getting married in November for the second time. The first time he got married he told me right to my face "you are not good enough yet to make our wedding cake"...I had only been decorating cakes, including wedding cakes, for 13 years so I kinda considered myself somewhat "good"...now for this wedding he wants a "professional" to do his cake. NOW I have been decoratin for 21 years...still not good enough for him. I am GLAD he didn't ask me...that way I didn't have to tell him HELL NO...I figure that he can ask HIS MOTHER to do it...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

I think that if you AND your wonderful husband agree, then you're doing the right thing.

What a good hubby!

DITTO!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

I have a step-son who is getting married in November for the second time. The first time he got married he told me right to my face "you are not good enough yet to make our wedding cake"...I had only been decorating cakes, including wedding cakes, for 13 years so I kinda considered myself somewhat "good"...now for this wedding he wants a "professional" to do his cake. NOW I have been decoratin for 21 years...still not good enough for him. I am GLAD he didn't ask me...that way I didn't have to tell him HELL NO...I figure that he can ask HIS MOTHER to do it...

Screw that! If he DID ask you, I'd look him straight in the face and tell him you only do cakes for grateful customers.

jarjam1026 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:49pm
post #27 of 51

Thanks everyone. I knew you all would make me feel better.
Yes my hubby is awesome. And he did say if they wanted to have a tasting I'd charge them $35 for a 6'. And i never offered myself to make it the just said i would be doing it.
You all are right . they are a couple of ungrateful pains in the A**

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #28 of 51

Hi... I can understand your frustration from reading your message. But maybe they don't want to miss out on any aspect of planning a wedding, one of which for many couples is a cake tasting.

If you have the time, means and willingness to do so, my opinion would be to make them a small cake in their flavors, and decorate it simply, incorporating some of the techniques they want for their special day. See what they say, then decide whether you will/won't do their cake. (I bet they leave very happy and pleased, and even more excited about their upcoming wedding.)

However, if you cannot/will not be able to make a cake for them when they come to meet with caterers, how about offering to make one in their flavor combo for the next family gathering/holiday?

This way, you are still accommodating them. This will help keep peace in the family.

Whatever you decide, I wish you peace and happiness. icon_smile.gif

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:04pm
post #29 of 51

I am just waiting for the day that my step-son asks me to make his cake after they go out and price cakes!! He better NOT...he called me and asked me what a good price to pay for a cake was and I told him how much I charge and he said "well the places that we have checked on charge more than that"...So I know he has been looking so he can just keep on looking and then fork out the money on his own, cuz this STEP-MOTHER ain't doing it!!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

Hi... I can understand your frustration from reading your message. But maybe they don't want to miss out on any aspect of planning a wedding, one of which for many couples is a cake tasting.

Perhaps they shouldn't miss out on the other aspect of that.....paying for it!

Sounds to me like you were "told" you were to do this cake. In that case, I would have said sure I would love to make your cake, what flavors, what design, blah blah blah. Then as soon as it starting turning into a "job", I would have kindly reminded them that this cake is a gift and if they are uncomfortable with that arrangement, then they are free to hire a different decorator at their expense and to look forward to receiving a silver gravy boat from you.
I agree with TCarra in the sense that they are trying to enjoy all the aspects of wedding planning. Seems like they are reading a "to do" list from a wedding mag. But this shouldn't be the case with the cake tasting when they know they have had many of your cakes before.
Big time kudos to hubby for standing by your side. It's a hard thing sometimes when there is a step-family situation. *I'm a step-mom to two wonderful boys. Sounds like you've got things under control. It's good to vent though. I do hope that someday you can be friends with your new daughter in law. There is too much bs in this world for us to dislike each other.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%