How Long Did It Take All Of You ....(Long)

Decorating By TiffTurtle Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm by Kitagrl

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:32am
post #1 of 13

I have been looking at all the wonderful cakes that are posted here and they are unbelievable...you all are so talented. I was just wondering how long it has taken yall to get to where you are now? Im just starting out, i have been doing this for about 4 months now and though i can see a big difference in my first cakes and what i have recently done though i am no place close to what i see from all of you.
What i have done so far has been self taught form books, here on CC , and other internet places. would it be to my benifet to look into taking a class? or have any of you never taken a class and gotten to where you are by only self teaching?
I enjoy doing this so much...its not a chore to me , its fun...and i want to be able to have the confidence to much more than i do...i have already done more than i ever thought i would in this short of a period of time ( my 3rd cake was a 4 teir stacked anni cake , but it was a simple design ), but i want to continue to better my skills.

I was just wondering what kind of advice you all could offer to me on this?

all of you have been such a HUGE help to me since starting , thank goodness i found CC when i first started out or i would never have gotten this far.

Thanks yall for everything....you guys that are here everyday helping people like me are priceless.

12 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:43am
post #2 of 13

looks to me like you are doing well.. I have taken all three Wilton classes and am glad I did (I have learned so much) but I have probably learned as much from this site.....I have been doing this for a year but only been done with the classes for a week....took me awhile for my schedule to allow for classes. There are so many way talented people on this site (I am not one of them by the way) but I am hoping that I will get better!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:19am
post #3 of 13

i've been self taught for the last 8 years then i found cc back in march which has inspired me to go outside the box, there are no cake classes where i live.

looks to me like you are doing pretty well so far, your cakes are great.......

kylie

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:24am
post #4 of 13

i have the same prob sweet...i live in a "country" area...the largest city is like an hour away so i would have to travel to take classes if i ever decided to. but im torn...i dont know if the classes could teach me anymore than i have learned from all the people on here.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:33am
post #5 of 13

you could always give yourself a few months of just being on cc to learn. if after this if you think you could still use some teaching from a class then do that.

i think you will do fine if you just hang around here and read the forums or ask any questions you have. i have found that most of the questions i would like to know have already been discussed or asked anyway.

kylie

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:41am
post #6 of 13

I've been at this for about 4-5 months now. I love it too. While I wouldn't want to make cakes every day I would like to make one a week. But I don't have enough people who would want them so I make them whenever I get a chance. Maybe 2 a month now.

I've taken all three Wilton classes and then classes at Cake Camp. I am now taking classes in gumpaste and I love it even more then the cakes!

I adore my classes. Every class has taught me something I could use. That being said, I get tons of tips and ideas from this site. I've passed along a lot of that info to people in my classes.

I figure no matter how good one gets there is always something they could learn from someone else.

I've joined a Cake Club and also learn a lot from the people there.

Most cake people are very friendly and love to talk about decorating, sharing ideas and tips and are more then willing to offer help when they can.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 13

I took a series of cake classes from a local decorator, and when she quit decorating to manufacture her icing (which is fabulous!) she passed on many of her customers to me. I own a considerable library of Wilton Yearbooks and back issues of Mailbox News and American Cake Decorating. You can learn a lot from these publications! Maybe you can see if anyone else in your area would be interested in creating a cake decorating club? You can meet once a month, perhaps, and try out new techniques to pass along.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 13

Personally I am a little put off by people telling me that what I do can't be done.

Quote:
Quote:

My instructors tell me that can't be done!

If I take a class and one tells me something can't be done than I will have it in my head that it won't work and when I try with that in my head it more than likely won't.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 13

I've been at it 25 years and am self-taught, but I would love to find the time to take a class. There are a number of flowers I've never made and some other skills that I know I'm missing. So while you can do it on your own, a class on decorating would be helpful in learning ALL the tricks of the trade and not limit yourself to the ones you just pick up on your own here and there.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 13

It can be done-You can teach yourself how to do things! I have done cakes for almost 7 years but serius for about three of those. My first cake was my own wedding cake-Soooooo sad looking!
I went to culinary school but did not learn cakes there-mainly bread.
I can give you a bit of hope hopefully! My friends and family think I do well!
you can see my cakes @ www.cakesbymaryann.com

The internet is a huge resource. You may not have all the supplies but you can use other things found locally! I blow sugar bubbles with a sports ball pump!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 13

I think about 3 years now.

I look at my beginner stuff and just cringe over it.

But I still make mistakes, lots of them.

This kind of stuff is always a work in progress I guess. Though when I look at the flawless work on here I long to be able to do that kind of stuff.

I still can't get perfectly smooth BC..no matter what I try. Sometimes it drives me to tears. I just hate when I cannot master something.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 13

I took all 3 wilton classes and that's where I discovered cake decorating. I had been going to Michael's for other things for years and kept telling myself that I was going to register for the Wilton classes. I finally did and It has changed my life. I am one who definitely benefitted from going to classes and if they are convenient for you I would definitely recommend it. It will only enhance what you have learned on your own. I do admit that I learned a lot in my classes but I have also learned a lot from CC.

Just do what works for you, you will notice that I haven't posted any pictures, I just don't feel confident yet (despite the 3 wilton classes!)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 13

I've been doing it for about 7 years now... I'm pretty much self taught, I was shown a few things as a teen but didn't use it until later on. Then about 2 yrs ago I took Wilton III just for some tips on using fondant but really didn't learn a whole huge amount. I am learning a few tips on wedding cakes at my p/t job at a caterer I started this year. Otherwise I just look around this site or other sites and ask questions to find out what I need! There really aren't any advanced classes around here so I just do the best I can with what I have. If someone asks for a cake I don't know how to do, I say "ok" and scramble around figuring out how to get it done. haha. Of course many times people request something they don't want to end up paying for so I never get to make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%