Best Food Coloring?

Decorating By coreenag Updated 9 Sep 2013 , 11:50pm by Cakespirations

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #1 of 19

What do you find to be the best food coloring? Do you use powder or gel? I have heard that Americolor is good for black and red. Does anyone use Lorann powder? How does it work? I have to order some online but am not sure what would be the best to get. Thanks for any comments!

18 replies
kimberly84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly84 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #2 of 19

I love americolor for all colors not just the black and the red

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #3 of 19

Me too.....Americolor is my main colouring for any deep/dark colours (red/black/chocolate brown/purple/navy blue/fuchsia pink)...but for easy pastel colours pretty much anything will do. Wilton is fine for those, plus they do have a good selection of shades. thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:50am
post #4 of 19

I used to use only wilton, but when I started using Americolor, I totally fell in love with it!!! I love that I can squirt it, not pour it and get it all over the side of the container or dig it out with a toothpick. And it gives such beautiful vivid colors. I'm currently weeding out the wilton colors and collecting more and more Americolor.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #5 of 19

Last year I switched to Americolor for the red and black and sure don't regret it.............................

Ok now speaking of Americolor , is there a cheaper place than another to buy it?

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #6 of 19

Ok everyone,
I have only used Wilton, but would love to try out Americolor. When doing a character cake that requires specific colors, how will I know what color to use? That may be a stupid question, lol, but I had to ask=) icon_redface.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:09am
post #7 of 19

I prefer Americolor over Wilton. It dispenses gel color easier and less messy. And you can get them here from CC: http://shop.cakecentral.com/americolor-soft-paste-p-963.html

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 19

I love love love Americolor!

And, even with postage from the US to Ireland (from CC of course!), they are still so much cheaper than what is locally available!

Kelly

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 19

Americolor is really great--so easy to use. However, I still prefer Wilton no-taste red--all the other reds seem to have that yucky bitter taste. For all other colors though I prefer Americolor.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 19

anyone got an opinion on Sugarflair from the UK? I have a few colours and like it a lot...but how is compared to Americolor? I am trying to use up my Wilton's before I replace with new...

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 19

I have a couple of Sugarflair colours. I have the Red Extra, which is so thick that it is tricky to mix into buttercream, becuase the blobs of it don't want to break up (and tastes very bitter) and the Black Extra, which isn't really black, but blue, which I unfortunately dicovered when I mixed some with alcohol for painting.

HTH

Kelly

razastrakhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
razastrakhan Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 3:28am
post #12 of 19

I don't know if anyone will see this, since this thread is about 7 years old (!).  However, I've been trying to color gum paste to get a nice dark red.  I tried Americolor (Super Red) and I'm now trying Chefmaster (Tulip Red).  The gum paste looks perfect...until it dries.  Then, with both brands I get a kind of brownish hue to the red.  It's not really red at all.  And the two are identical.  I thought maybe I was adding too much gel, so I blended some white gum paste into a chunk of dark.  When I got to about 50:50 "red' to white, the small sample I made dried less brown, but still not really red.  What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?  I want to use this for red roses.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 4:50am
post #13 of 19

You may get other suggestions, but I prefer to tint my gum paste a deep pink and then dust them with the shade of red petal dust that I need.

Rae

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 19

I tried for a deep red for a cake once. All an entire bottle of Wilton's no-taste red did was give a bitter taste an no deep red. Now I buy primary colors like red and black. 

razastrakhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
razastrakhan Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 19

How do you get the petal dust to cover inside the rose petals?  Do you dust each petal before attaching it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 19

you could i guess

especially if you want a contrasting color in there from the stem up partway

but i think it's more efficient to do it at the end

after it's dried & assembled i usually just slide the brush down in there between the petals a bit

you don't want it too dusty either to interfere with any gluing to be done either

the wet (from glue) dust might make a noticeable color difference

there are others much more qualified than me but that's how i do it

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 11:00pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by razastrakhan 

How do you get the petal dust to cover inside the rose petals?  Do you dust each petal before attaching it?

If it's a fully wired flower, yes, I dust each petal before assembly.  If it's glued together flower, I dust it when it's finished.  The dust gets everywhere, so it's not really an issue :0)  I then lightly steam the flower to set the color.

Rae

jewels3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels3333 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 19

I have had luck mixing red fondont with my gumpaste and adding color from there. It takes a bit longer to dry hard but the color has been nice. I used this method to make this Pokemon Ball. It took a couple of days to dry but came out nice  and red.

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:50pm
post #19 of 19

AFor liquid food coloring I use americolor all the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%