Adding A Filling Between Cake Layers-Will It Get Soggy?

Decorating By ButtercreamCakeArtist Updated 14 Oct 2006 , 10:29pm by Rodneyck

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 5

I may add filling in the layers of my SIL's wedding cake. Not sure what she wants, chocolate pudding? Anyway, how far in advance can I fill it? Would it get soggy? I tried to find an article on this, but couldn't find one. Thanks!

4 replies
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

It won't get soggy. Just be sure to make a damn from the icing you are using on the outside and then fill with whatever you want. Put it in the fridge. You can keep a cake filled and iced in the fridge for a good day or so (depends on the cake - whites and yellows tend to get dry).

Hope this helps!

XOXOX

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 5

I never had a problem with raspberry, lemon, etc made for fillings. With the pudding how far in advance do you want make the cake? Is the pudding made from scratch = does it require it to be in the fridge? or are you using the pudding in the container that the store sells but are not in the fridge/

Put a thin layer of buttercream and put pudding on top but my concern if it needs to be in the fridge and how long will it be on the table before serving.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

Just a FYI...if you DO use the little cups of non-refrigerated puddings, you still need to refreigerate your cake. After these little cups are open, they MUST be refrigerated. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 5

If anything, most liquid fillings will keep the cake layers from drying out. Any form of pudding that I can think of will always need to be refrigerated.

If you do have to refrigerate the cake, then switch the butter (fat) to canola oil, same amount, ie 1 cup butter to 1 cup of canola oil, and switch the recipe to the one bowl method of mixing. One bowl method is dump dry ingredients in one big bowl, stir to combine, beat your eggs together with a fork and add them and all the liquids into the dry and mix until combined. I do this all the time.

Cakes with canola oil means you can keep them cold and the layers stay soft right from the fridge, as oil does not seize up, or harden, like layers made with butter. Plus, the layers stay softer longer than butter. I always add in some butter flavoring as well, 1 tsp or so.

If you are using a mix, well then, never mind. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%