Barbie Hula Cake

Decorating By CakesbyKimmie Updated 19 Jul 2005 , 2:22am by susanmm23

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:28am
post #1 of 16

Was wondering if any one had any ideas on a Barbie Hula Girl cake (I am making it for a neighbor on Sat)
I am going to be using the wonder mold, maybe a green hula skirt? I was going to use the basketweave tip for the lines on the skirt, maybe in green and then put flowers around the base.
Any suggestions or pics are greatly appreciated.

15 replies
Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:58am
post #2 of 16

Hi,

Here's a hula girl that I did last year. I used the basketweave tip(smooth side), and basically put flowers here and there. It's by far, the easiest cake that I've ever done.

Hope this helps,

Denise
LL

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:00am
post #3 of 16
CakesbyKimmie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:48am
post #4 of 16

Cindy, LOL that link is for a Batman cake. The Batman cake is cool, but no hula girl LOL

Denise, you cake is awesome. Thank you for the tip. I am going to try with the green skirt. I wasnt sure if I should do green or beige. But I will go with green.
I will post a pic after I make it. : ) Thanks again.

CakesbyKimmie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:59am
post #5 of 16

One more question, any ideas on how to transport this cake?
I am just bringing it over to my neighbor who is transporting it to the party.

Tazalexis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tazalexis Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:01am
post #6 of 16

you would have to use the special box. It has a base and a clear top (can't remember the name) but you know - like the ones you see in the supermarket. What you do is get a large base 12" with a matching clear cover and then you get a smaller clear cover. Cut a large enough circle in the 12 cover and stick the 8" cover over it that way, it's tall enough to cover the entire doll - dome, I think the name is dome box. I've done it several times and it worked!!!

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 16

I have never made a cake like this, but I have a question about the doll. I have seen the doll picks, but they don't look too good. So if I used a barbie doll, do I have to take the legs off?

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 16

no bubbles you dont have to take the legs off just wrap them in plastic wrap and cut a small slit in the top of the cake then push the barbie down in the cake.

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 16

Cute cake

About using a real doll, it has been done.
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1412&contentGroup=MSL&site=living

They wrapped her body, and her hair so they wouldn't get frosting in it. .

"When assembling the cake, use a new doll and wrap it in plastic before putting it in the center of the cake. Candles should absolutely not be used, because Barbies hair is flammable. Miniature versions of the cake can be made with small cake tins and Kelly dollsand serve as wonderful party favors or place-setting decorations.

Barbie Birthday Cake

Makes 1 Barbie doll cake

3 recipes Yellow Cake , two in tube shape and one in bowl shape

2 recipes Italian Meringue Buttercream

1. Trim the tops off the 2 tube cakes to level. Trim the flat end of the bowl cake to level. Cut a hole through the center of the bowl cake the width of the Barbie doll. Place one tube cake, trimmed side up, on a cake plate. Place the second tube cake, trimmed side up on top, and the bowl cake, trimmed side down, on top. Spread 1 cup of frosting between each layer.

2. Remove all clothing from the doll and wrap the dolls hair in plastic wrap. Insert doll into the hole of the bowl cake up to its waist. Use half of the remaining frosting to completely cover the outside of the cakes, evenly smoothing to form the skirt part of the doll.

3. Tint remaining frosting with food coloring to desired colors. Using pastry bags and decorating tips, decorate the skirt and upper half of the doll with colored frosting, as desired. Remove plastic from the dolls hair, and serve. "

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 16

To transport the cake, I just put it in a not too big box, so that the cardboard that it was sitting on couldn't move much. Oh, now that I think of it, I actually put it in my biggest pot because it was raining that day and it had a cover icon_lol.gif

Be sure to put enough batter, I didn't measure I just put one mix, and it wasn't enough....just fyi

I can't wait to see the picture of your cake.

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the advise about using the barbie. I just thought it would be sorta sad to take her legs off. I have a niece who would probably love a barbie cake. I will have to practice.

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 16

I made the Barbie in a grass skirt........I used the grass tip to make the skirt......I like to use a real Barbie for the doll cakes so the little girls have something to keep........I use the picks some too but generally for older women.........

CakesbyKimmie Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 12:02am
post #13 of 16

My last Barbie cake ended up looking like a mini dress with a ball gown so I am hoping this one comes out better. And Since the belly will be showing I dont think the cake will have to raise that much. We shall see. I will add extra batter just in case. I will post the pick when its done : )

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:07am
post #14 of 16

I thought you might be interested. I just posted a luau cake that has some mini hula girls. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-7129

CakesbyKimmie Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 12:42am
post #15 of 16

So the story of the hula girl continues.......

To recap, my neighbor wanted me to make this cake for her for Saturday. I baked all of the pieces (wondermold and one layer cake for height) and was assembling them on Friday and the layer cake would not hold together after I cut it into shape and kept falling apart so I couldnt use a real Barbie as planned but used the Doll Pick from Wilton and just cutting the cake down to the part that was made in the wonder mold.

Now it didnt turn out like I wanted, I was running out of time on Friday and since it was falling apart I was freaking out. The cake was just supposed to look cute, as a token gift, not the main attraction so I wasnt too upset that it didnt look as professional as I dreamed it.

So I went out to the Botanical Gardens with my fiance on Saturday and my neighbor was to pick up the cake while I was out. When I returned home my sister had thrown me a Surprise Luau birthday party and guess who made the cake! It turned out I made the cake for my own surprise party! Of course my mom got me an additional cake since since she opposed the idea of my neighbor making me make my own cake for my party. LOL

Here is the pic icon_smile.gif Dont Laugh too much LOL
LL

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 2:22am
post #16 of 16

OH my that is soo funny. the story not the cake. i think the cake is really cute. good job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%