How Do I Make A Bee To Put On Top Of A Cupcake???

Decorating By yffrank Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm by icingprincess

yffrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yffrank Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 17

Can anyone tell me how to make a bee to use on the top of a cupcake. I'm making a cupcake tree for a customer for a baby shower. The nursery theme is bees, so she wants bees on the cupcakes.........so I'm looking for an easy way to do this. Please help!!!

16 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yffrank

Can anyone tell me how to make a bee to use on the top of a cupcake. I'm making a cupcake tree for a customer for a baby shower. The nursery theme is bees, so she wants bees on the cupcakes.........so I'm looking for an easy way to do this. Please help!!!

Im thinking gumpaste/fondant is this the bumble bee or what kind if its bumble bees make the bodys black with yellow stripes, and the wings white, you could even fold the wings to make them look like ther flying

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 17

I made chocolate transfer bugs for cupcakes a few months ago. Here's the bee:

It was simple and I just made a little tab on the bottom to stick into the BC.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 17

Use candy melts (yellow, brown and blue or cream) and make a transfer. These are very sturdy and easy to make.
LL

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 17

Of course I do all of my decorating with buttercream....here is how I make bees. I make a tear drop shape, using yellow icing and about a #10 tip. I use black icing and a #3 tip and make a head on the pointy end of the teardrop shape. I then make black stripes on the yellow. I use white icing to make dots for the eyes and a tiny dot of black in the center of them. I use a sliced almond for each of the wings...putting the pointy end of the almond slice in the buttercream and the rounded part out and up. I make the antennas using a tiny strip of black licorice and a dot of black buttercream on the end. They are cute and very simple and fast to make. I have a short video clip on you tube showing how to make a lady bug similar to this if you would like to watch it and improvise.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 17

I did bees on my beehive cake (see gallery). I just rolled a piece of white fondant to a kind of oval shape, used a tool to dot the eyes, and a straw cut in half (lengthways) for the smile.

Then got black fondant and cut into thin strips. I put two strips on the worksurface, turned the bee upside down and placed on the strips, then rolled them the rest of the way so that the join was on the underside of the bee.

Then used a small rose petal cutter for the wings and put them on the top. RI the eyes. I let the bees dry upside down so that the wings didn't flop down the sides.

I attached all fondant together with RI.

Hope it helps!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 17

I wish I could figure out how to bring up my picture from the gallery. So until I do please take a look./ I made a bee hive cupcake and my bee is a tootsie roll with slices of gum drops for the wings. So easy to make and fun to eat! Hope that helps.

eatsleepdreamcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatsleepdreamcake Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 17

I also did some bee cupcakes, you can see the pic in my photos. I made them out of royal icing. First I did small teardrop shapes with white that I flattened with a damp finger and set aside to dry for the wings. Then I made a larger teardrop shape with yellow for the body, added two black stripes, and eyes. While the body was still wet, I stuck in the previously dried wings. Let the whole thing dry and you have a cute little royal icing bee you can stick on anywhere.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #9 of 17

I made mine with fondant.Very easy. Just took a teardrop shaped piece of yellow fondant put black stripes made of fondant around and a small black tail tip. Inserted 2 flattened white teardrops for the wings. It is in my gallery in case this image does not show up.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #10 of 17

I used fondant as well for a cake I did with bees. The're very quick. Especially if you have colored fondant on hand. All you need is some vanilla, and an edible writing marker.
I added antennae using the stamens for flowers, but you can easily make them out of anything. Even royal icing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=60801

Good luck!!
Angie

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:38am
post #11 of 17

I made some fondant bees. I made the wings in GP (teardrop cutter) and painted with pearl dust. Then I Stuck the wings in the bodies while they were still soft.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:12am
post #12 of 17

mezzaluna, that cake of yours is so cute!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 17

mezzaluna,
that cake is the cutest!

icingprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingprincess Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 17

ive seen some cute bees in pinkfor the body and the lines were in blue wings in green and they were sooo cute !!! i loved them

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 17

ooo such good ideas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 17

Here is a link for some cupcakes nicsala99 did and she used almonds for her bees- I just love them!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=770873

icingprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingprincess Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 17

oohhh i love that bee wedding cakeso beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%