Need To Make Gold Color

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 8:47pm by eve

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

How do you make something a real gold or silver color? I've seen the dusts but haven't used any yet. Do you just sprinkle it on or paint it on? If it's painted on, what kind and how much liquid do you add to the dust?

I'm wanting to use in on both buttercream and fondant. Thanks so much for any help.

KimAZ

7 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 8

You will mix your dust with a littel lemon extract or some people use vodka. Then you are to brush it on like paint. You should practice a little before you try on your final cake.

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

I like lemon extract the best--it gives beautiful coverage. I know a lot of people really like Everclear but I haven't been able to try that as it's not legal in WA. I've also used 100 proof vodka which works pretty good too.

For good coverage you want it to be the consistency of nail polish.

Fondant: For silver, color your fondant light grey first and then paint. For gold, color your fondant yellow and then paint. It's much easier to hide a missed spot when it's a similiar color (versus white which really stands out) and I have found I used less "paint" since the base is colored.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 8

I mix my silver or gold colour with pure alcohol, it works wonderfully

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8

I like mix the color gold or silver with little bit of Ron.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 8

I use Lemon extract. It worked great -- it does dry up fast though. Does anybodyelse have the same problem icon_confused.gif

Thanks Justcakes for your coloring advice. I will try that next time. thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 8

I use lemon extract when painting with 24K ground gold because it evaporates so quickly...there's no risk of excess liquid eating into the icing (particularly on Color Flow pieces).

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 8

I do it two ways, one using Gold Lustre Dust, making paint out of VOdka OR ALmond Extract and Gold Dust, and the other way is
using 23K Edible Gold Leaf sheets,, a bit expensive, but it comes out as shiny like jewelry or gold mirror.. It is very difficult to handle because it sticks to everything even your hand. But worth the effort.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%