Wilton Checkerboard Cake

Decorating By Angelgirl Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 3:05am by DelightsByE

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone else have and use the Wilton checkerboard set? I bought mine a little over a year ago and have only used it 3 times. The first time, it was using my mom's oven, which obviously cooks hotter than mine because it kind of burned the bottoms of the cakes a little. Then, the other two times I've used it (including yesterday), my cake has fallen apart. It's almost like the rings don't cook together properly or something.

Has anyone else had problems with this set?

Thanks,
Becky

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry, I have used it several times and didn't have any problems.

Press down on the divider while you fill the sections, then pull stright up when you remove it, so the two batters mix less.

It helps to have an extra pair of hands to hold the divider, while you distribute the batters.

aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry, I also use it all the time and have not had any problems. I agree with JoAnnB. It is important to remove the dividers correctly and in my case remember the order you want the different color batter.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:38am
post #4 of 8

I have an original version of this in metal that is 20 years old in it's orig box and I love it. It has not failed me yet. icon_rolleyes.gif I've even used it for satelite cakes for wedding cakes and the response was wonderful. I'm surprised that Wilton makes the rings plastic. Plastic tends to loose it's shape over time and dishwashers shorten that time even faster.

I can't think of why the flavors/colors would not bake together. That is odd.

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #5 of 8

I have this set, too, and the only problem I had with it is that my colors made sort of a wave... not a straight line. I did a candy corn cake, so I don't think it was too bad, but it probably would have ruined the look of an actual checkerboard cake.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:57am
post #6 of 8

I have the one from pampered chef and I assume it is similar. On the directions for mine it said to add 1/2 cup of flour to the mix. (i believe it was 1/2 cup) This made the cake mix thicker and it didn't run into each other. I've never had a problem with the cake falling apart. I have used it with chocolate and vanilla cake - I colored the vanilla and I have used it with all white/vanilla cake and colored it.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #7 of 8

did you grease the plastic set in? I did that once and when I took the cake out of the pans I had 3 seperate pieces! So I've learned not to grease them... to prevent them from baking in wavey lines I'd use either the bake even strips, a flower nail or a waterbath. Each year I think of doing the candy corn cake... someone here had a picture of a really tall one! maybe this is the year...

best wishes icon_smile.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:05am
post #8 of 8

HATED IT!!!!!!!!!!

Begged AC Moore to give me a refund. They did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%