How To For Fondant Crown

Decorating By Crystal13 Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 3:06pm by mgdqueen

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:02am
post #1 of 5

I have to make a simple fondant crown for the top of a cake. I know how to make the design I need to match the decorations, but I do have a few questions. Here is a link to the party decorations with the picture of the crown that it will match... http://www.celebrateexpress.com/celebration/pages/products/product_bd.aspx?SKU=E2290

How long will it take to dry and any suggestions on what to put the crown on while it is drying so it will take shape? It will sit on top of an 8" cake. I am probably going to make the crown out of fondant & gumpaste.

Any suggestions on keeping the crown in place once placed on the cake? Should it just lean against dowels or other supports. Place royal icing under the part toucing the cake? Other suggestions for support of the crown?

Any other tips for doing a fondant crown like this one would be appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:43am
post #2 of 5

i would suggest doing it only out of gumpaste. here is a cake i did with a GP crown topper similar to the one your wanting:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=907783

i wrapped the GP around a fat cup that had parchment paper around it. i let it dry overnight and it was very hard. if you make it into a complete circle, instead of just a half circle you can just set it on the cake top without worrying about dowels and such. if you are really worried you can use some RI. but my crown is just set up on top without RI or any supports.

does that help?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 5

It shouldn't be much more difficult to make the crown round to set on the cake, and it'll set up better, and look more impressive. I used Royal Icing when I put something on top of my cake like that, just so I was sure it'd stay put.

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

just to clarify, if I make the crown round, instead of just half way, I don't need to attach any sort of dowel or lollipop stick to the back of it to stick it down into the cake...just let it dry around a large cup or something with wax paper between the cup and my crown and then just place it on the cake or use a bit of royal icing to attach it? If I would not make the crown round, would I need to attach something to it to stick down into the cake?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

by the time you put the crown on the cake, it should have dried very hard. It will not need anything to hold its shape or hold it in place. The bottom of the crown will be flat and so will the top of the cake. You can simply push it lightly into the buttercream, or put a little buttercream or RI around the bottom to ensure it stays there if it makes you feel more comfortable. Be sure you allow plenty of time for the crown to dry. You do not want to put it on the cake when it isn't dry-the shape will not hold.

I made the one on the frog prince cake in my pics with half fondant/half gumpaste. It dried for a day, then I painted and it dried for another day. It was humid so I had a small fan blowing on it the second day. Good luck! Can't wait to see your finished picture! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%