Making Gelatin Sheets

Decorating By Sugarflowers Updated 14 Oct 2006 , 11:49am by redred

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know a good recipe and the techniques for making gelatin sheets, both clear and colored? I've looked and all I can find is buying sheet gelatin.

I need to know every step, so please pretend like I have no brain cells left to function in this area. icon_rolleyes.gif

Michele

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 6

I am not sure what you mean by 'gelatin sheets'. For what kind of application? If you give us a little clue, maybe someone can help.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:24am
post #3 of 6

I would like to make windows for gingerbread houses and for the colored sheets, I am wanting to make sequins. I have heard that adding color to pre-made sheets is difficult and can be uneven. I am going to need a LOT of sequins for a cake I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michele

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 6:23am
post #4 of 6

I know you can buy great gelatin sheets for windows, but I have never heard of making them.

As for color, you might try several options- petal or luster dust mixed with confectioners glaze. It would be a bit stickier and might go on better. Or just dust them with dry powder.

Good Luck.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 7:49am
post #5 of 6

I haven't ever done this before - just used the bought sheets. Why not try dissolving some powdered gelatine in the smallest bit of water, add a bit of colour and then pur into a rectangular tray with baking paper in the bottom? Sorry it's nt much help - I love your idea though, do let me know how you get on.

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 11:49am
post #6 of 6

Hi Michele,
There is a recipe in Kerry Vincent's book for gelatin glass. Dissolve 1t gelatin in 15ml (cold) water with 2.5ml icing sugar.
(I don't know why you'd need the icing sugar so would probably skip that in case it muddied the glass.)
Dissolve the gelatin in hot water (just boiled, but not boiling over the stove - you don't want to cook it). PM me if you've any queries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%